Art Revolution mod. Latest release: January, 2015

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Re: Art Revolution mod. Latest release: alpha 3 January 20,

Post by cnceo »

It would be nice to do some sort of roadmap to complete the stuff needed for the alpha campaign. For example I would target for a new release once the lancer, the truck and the remaining defensive structures are finished (including all the stuff that has been finished since the last release by you and Alpha93).

Additionally, now that my textures are released with 3.1.1 I think Jorzi could remove them (probably appart from some updates) from the repository.
Whiskered
Greenhorn

Post by Whiskered »

Hey greerings good people of AR mode.

I have created this account to just get in touch with you. I am an video game design student and I would like to help you with this mod. Well I can provide textures and models. I would realy wish to contribute to your project.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Hi whiskered :)
Good to see more interested people, all you need to do is create your own thread in the development->artwork section. We also regularly hang around in the warzone2100-games irc channel on freenode.net and can get you started on the model exporting stuff as well as our hipoly-lowpoly workflow.

I'd also like to know what your softwares of choice are. I personally use blender+GIMP and I teach it to the new guys since they don't have to buy anything, but at least ManGusT uses 3ds max. Using the same apps of course makes sharing stuff easier, but our exporting app called WMIT uses .obj files so using other apps isn't much of a problem.

When it comes to quality requirements, we are of course a bit strict, since we try to take warzone to a much higher technical level, but I hope you don't get discouraged from this. Alpha93 and cnceo were both new to 3d stuff but have achieved quality results really fast imo.

Edit: @cnceo: ManGusT already has some quite decent models of the truck and lancer but he's a bit of a perfectionist. Maybe if you ask nicely he will release some preliminary stuff. Aside from that I hope we can make an update release soon. And yes, it's good that we don't have to pack all the updated textures, since they increase the size quite drastically. For the releases I usually also downscale many of the other textures.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Whiskered
Greenhorn

Post by Whiskered »

Hey thanks for chance kind sire. I shall open my thread there as well soon.

I am using maya 3d for models, photoshop for textures and mudbox for normall maps andbump mapping. All legit and allright to use.

I am more concerned about compiling and decompiling I have always problems with that. Obj aint a problem for me. Well if you could tell me what you would need to model and sizes of textures that you use, that would be great.

I love warzone but I am not fond off playing it online though. For online game I prefer team fortress 2 or cnc games.

I dont know much about scripting or coding, so if that will.be involved
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Don't worry, you don't have to compile stuff just to make a mod. The .wz files used for mods are just standard zip archives, and you can run unzipped mods too, just make a folder with the name of your mod in the mods folder and throw in all the files you want to replace the originals with (original files and file structure can be found by unzipping the base.wz file).
You might have to do some manual editing on the ascii-based .pie files though(warzone's 3d format), but nothing extremely complicated.

As for models, we try to keep the polycount quite low (200-300 for a propulsion model, for example) and texture size between 256 for the smallest models (light mg etc) to 1024 for the largest.
ImageImage
Whiskered
Greenhorn

Post by Whiskered »

What bugs me about WZ is that bodies are using colour of the organisation that they came from. It is annoying to see orange and green units.

I will get to work soon.
cnceo
Trained
Trained

Post by cnceo »

Yeah, it is really difficult to make the models fit every color. But by using the tcmask you can at least chose the spots on your texture which are colored accordingly. At some point an adjustment to the textures may be necessary to make the colors of all weapons/propulsion and structures match each other. For example, I didn't pay to much attention to that when I made the research center. But I think It's a common problem for every rts. When I play starcraft some colors just look better than others :)
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Whiskered wrote:What bugs me about WZ is that bodies are using colour of the organisation that they came from. It is annoying to see orange and green units. .
Yeah, something about those colors whipsaws me into a mad frenzy of (color) blind rage. But on the other hand....

Someone once make a really nice mod with camouflaged unit colors. A fine bit of work. The only problem was it was extremely hard to make out the units in the 3D view. Nice camo, though. This is one of those places where the seam between a game and a real-life simulation shows up. Sometimes a game is just a game...

If you want to get all war-nerdy, just pretend your electro-optical sensors, IFF and battlespace management software are doing sensor fusion to paint a useful image of who is who.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Just a game or not, I absolutely refuse to play with pink units. Of course I would make an exception if we were playing competitive MP with the UHKy Mod. ;)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

stiv wrote:If you want to get all war-nerdy, just pretend your electro-optical sensors, IFF and battlespace management software are doing sensor fusion to paint a useful image of who is who.
Hmm :hmm:
I wonder if we could do something interesting with shaders to emphasise this impression...
RedShocktrooper
Trained
Trained

Post by RedShocktrooper »

stiv wrote:Someone once make a really nice mod with camouflaged unit colors. A fine bit of work. The only problem was it was extremely hard to make out the units in the 3D view. Nice camo, though. This is one of those places where the seam between a game and a real-life simulation shows up. Sometimes a game is just a game...
Actually if you gave every faction different camo for their bodies, you could run with it. Project bodies use temperate camo, Paradigm bodies use desert, Collective bodies use urban, and NEXUS bodies either use a flat color or that weird digital camo the US Army is using these days in a sort of "temperate urban".
Whiskered
Greenhorn

Post by Whiskered »

Well, I get the tools,and ive figured out the majority of stuff. Yet I have a problem with finding the files I cant understand majority of the names, and when I export them they have no texture.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Well, I get the tools,and ive figured out the majority of stuff. Yet I have a problem with finding the files I cant understand majority of the names, and when I export them they have no texture.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/wzgrap ... esAndFiles
Whiskered
Greenhorn

Post by Whiskered »

Thanks.
I have to find textures still.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

If you open the .pie file in a text editor (preferably not notepad because it only supports crlf line endings) you can read what texture is used on the third line.
Also, forgot to say earlier: WMIT is a graphical .pie browser and import/export tool made specifically for warzone.
@Berg: Nice list, Iluvalar also made one which I've used so far: https://sites.google.com/site/iluvalar/wz/pielist
ImageImage