Double, Triple, Quadruple research, Oh my!

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Double, Triple, Quadruple research, Oh my!

Post by aubergine »

Ally not building module is not a research problem, it's an ally not building modules problem = they need educating to build modules ASAP
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

aubergine wrote:Ally not building module is not a research problem, it's an ally not building modules problem = they need educating to build modules ASAP
I know most disagree with me, but I really feel research modules, power modules and factory modules should be done away with and automatically added when the research is done just like the subsequent upgrades that come afterwards. It would take a lot of the confusion out of the game as well as free trucks up from micromanagement so that they can be building defenses and such.

Would it be possible with the api as it stands to create a mod for this? I might try my hand at modding one day and I guess this could be a good one to start with :)
Moving back instead of forward
Seems to me absurd
~
Metallica - Eye of the beholder
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I prefer needing to build them, I think it adds to the gameplay. If we start automating everything too much, it will get boring.

As for the JS API, yes, it might be possible - you could listen to eventResearched() and when you see modules being researched use the addStructure() functon to place the module. I'm not sure if addStructure() can place modules though - never tried it.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Cool thanks!
Seems to me absurd
~
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

We really need to have a "no shared research at all" mode (:
Hahahahaha :lol2: One of the best ones I have seen here in few last months :3
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

We really need to have a "no shared research at all" mode (:
I agree with that completely. Sometimes you want a game to progress with regular research speed, but want allies when you're fighting. Disabling shared research would encourage the players to use combined forces since each one can specialize in a single area.

And I guess that encouraging the use of combined forces is necessary to better develop cooperation.

Also, I agree that the first player to reach the research development stage (considering the "green power bar thingy" is actually the resource allocation stage) should have exclusivity in researching it unless someone else has a research module he/she doesn't. I've found ou that it's really boring to have to wait for your occasional not-upgraded scumbag ally to research something when testing some 2x2 maps in co-op with AI.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

hmm... :hmm: it sounds crazy for me. Wouldnt it change the game drastically?
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Merowingg wrote:hmm... :hmm: it sounds crazy for me. Wouldnt it change the game drastically?
Would be just a mode which can be switched on and off as far as I can imagine. Then it'd change the game as drastically as setting the power levels from low to high, or having alliances enabled :)
Rommel
Trained
Trained

Post by Rommel »

Olrox wrote: Would be just a mode which can be switched on and off as far as I can imagine. Then it'd change the game as drastically as setting the power levels from low to high, or having alliances enabled :)
Or having to pay for Derricks... from my experience the devs are very reluctant to add new settings so outside of a mod you probably won't see this happen.
Seems to me absurd
~
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Rommel wrote:
Olrox wrote: Would be just a mode which can be switched on and off as far as I can imagine. Then it'd change the game as drastically as setting the power levels from low to high, or having alliances enabled :)
Or having to pay for Derricks... from my experience the devs are very reluctant to add new settings so outside of a mod you probably won't see this happen.
Oh, but the magical karma energy nanostructure projectors from the trucks have the amazing capability of converting oil into the necessary materials to build an oil derrick at site, in real time!

Like this:
download/file.php?id=4526&mode=view
:D
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

Things like prices for derricks really would change a lot of the game. Not allowing dumb or unlucky allies to waste power will not change any strategies and would be very helpful.

I see no reason why this should not be implemented, however it will take some time and someone willing to do it.

If someone has a module and your partner does not, perhaps if the research is early enough, it could switch to the person with the module for little cost.
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

The Overlord wrote: If someone has a module and your partner does not, perhaps if the research is early enough, it could switch to the person with the module for little cost.
Better yet, the research is transferred at current progress stage to the priority player (whoever has a module the other one has not)!

How about that?
The Overlord
Trained
Trained

Post by The Overlord »

Good for me, I just dislike having to tell other players to stop researching what I do - with a 20% success rate. :)
Warzone 2100 is love, life.
Member of the BDC clan and adept at multiplayer battles. Feel free to PM me questions about multiplayer.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Perhaps a popup could appear whenever a player attempts to research something that an ally is already researching, warning him/her that researching the same thing that the ally is researching won't make it go any faster, and recommending selecting another research option as an alternative, ending with the typical "Are you sure?" yes/no question.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Cyp wrote:Add teams mode without shared research.