The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Donation drive is now live!

Post by Staff »

For those of you that missed the announcement posted here Donation Announcement

We have started a donation drive to keep the operation of the server alive. In the past, all hosting costs were provided by one person, which we very much appreciated! However, the cost is getting too much for one person to bear.
The server is what these forums are running on, as well as the lobby server, addons, and trac (bug tracker) along with the wiki, and buildbot to make the builds.

That means, that if we can't get enough donations to be able to continue being hosted with the current service provider, then we will be forced to scale down operations and go for a simpler, less user-friendly solutions.

The current server provider has this deal: http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produk ... server/ex4
Our deadline is at the end of April for our current setup.
If you know of a better price than what they offer, then we are all ears.

If you can spare a one-time donation, or a on going subscription to help out with the recurring server costs, it will be much appreciated!
To donate, click on the Donate! link on the forums, or use this link Donations
Thanks!

--Warzone 2100 Project Team
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Staff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Donation drive is now live!

Post by Staff »

Donation tally (This information is updated occasionally.):

We currently receive USD $82 each month from supporters, and in total we have received USD $1310.

We thank you for your support!
Sorry, this account has been deactivated.
Please post issues in Website feedback instead, only Moderators can read things there.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Include https://flattr.com-Buttons. The old "donation"-system never was user-friendly. People are more willing to give something at all when it is as easy as one simple click with flattr - everyone i know who uses this service, including myself, can witness this. Might give you several additional donations. :)
:ninja:
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

The first link of this post is broken in the news feed http://wz2100.net/feed.atom
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Removed posts with anecdotal negative experiences with our current hosting company. This is not really relevant to this thread.
FrankB
New user

Post by FrankB »

I'd suggest that you also allow a $ 1 monthly donation. I do not know who is active here, but I think it is quite possible that some folks cannot (or do not want to) spend $5 every month... ;-) With $1, you could give them a chance to participate, and who knows, maybe they will "upgrade" later.
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

What are the minimum requirements for the server? Which ones are the most critical?
Are there any bottlenecks?
How important is disk I/O speed?
What's the estimated total space?
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Per wrote:Removed posts with anecdotal negative experiences with our current hosting company. This is not really relevant to this thread.
was trying to help :roll:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

LZ compromised wrote:What are the minimum requirements for the server? Which ones are the most critical?
It would be easier to answer that question if I had some idea why you are asking it. Otherwise I would just point you to the link in the first post in this thread. We don't need that big harddisk, but otherwise it is pretty much spot on. It is meant to function as a master server for several VPS instances, some of which will be churning out builds of the game continually for the various platforms we support.
xXSpecialsoulXx
Rookie
Rookie

Post by xXSpecialsoulXx »

now you have my 5 dollars :3 GL in this
LZ compromised
Trained
Trained

Post by LZ compromised »

I've got a couple of site admin friends who moved from one host to another several times, so they're much more streetwise in that regard than I am.
I gave them this link and asked if they know of anything cheaper with the same specs. What followed was a stream of questions, some of which I could answer, and relayed the rest in my previous post :)

Yeah, I probably should've written all that from the start :oops:
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
—Bill Cosby
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

Per wrote:
LZ compromised wrote:What are the minimum requirements for the server? Which ones are the most critical?
It would be easier to answer that question if I had some idea why you are asking it. Otherwise I would just point you to the link in the first post in this thread. We don't need that big harddisk, but otherwise it is pretty much spot on. It is meant to function as a master server for several VPS instances, some of which will be churning out builds of the game continually for the various platforms we support.
I thought this was for warzone but you said several VPS instances? is this for all the forks of warzone so each can have server support?
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

Originway wrote: I thought this was for warzone but you said several VPS instances? is this for all the forks of warzone so each can have server support?
i think for buildbot or something
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Zi-Chan wrote:Include https://flattr.com-Buttons. The old "donation"-system never was user-friendly. People are more willing to give something at all when it is as easy as one simple click with flattr - everyone i know who uses this service, including myself, can witness this. Might give you several additional donations. :)
Looking into this... Thanks for the tip!
FrankB wrote:I'd suggest that you also allow a $ 1 monthly donation. I do not know who is active here, but I think it is quite possible that some folks cannot (or do not want to) spend $5 every month... ;-) With $1, you could give them a chance to participate, and who knows, maybe they will "upgrade" later.
Paypal takes 30 cents per transaction + 3% on top of that. I suppose we can add those options as well.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
alexis031182
Greenhorn

Post by alexis031182 »

Staff wrote:Donation tally (This information is updated occasionally.):
We currently receive USD $80 each month from supporters, and we have $240.25 USD on hand.
Currently $80 or $55? (this page "http://donations.wz2100.net" contains $55)