Tileset making tools by Jorzi

Get some help with creating maps or modding.
Need a map editor or other tools, look here!
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Tileset making tools by Jorzi

Post by Jorzi »

Ever tried to make a tileset? Sounds easy, right? Except you have to add a border area that gets cut away, and then you have to make 3 rescaled copies of every tile and put them in respective folders. Boring and tedious, why can't the machine do it by itself?

Well now it can, at least the rescaling part. I made a small java commandline app that autogenerates the size 64, 32 and 16 folders from the size 128 folder. I'm thinking of adding functionality so that it can generate borders also as well as possibly less hardcoding, maybe even a GUI :P

How to use?
1. place the .jar in its own folder
2. take your high-res tileset folder (its name should be tertilesc1hw-128, tertilesc2hw-128, or tertilesc3hw-128) and copy it into the same folder as the .jar. The images should be named tile-XX.png.
3. run the .jar from the commandline (the command should be "java -jar WZ_tileset_generator.jar" once you have navigated to the right folder)
4. new folders should appear containing downscaled images
Attachments
WZ_tileset_generator.zip
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 326 times
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
effigy
Regular
Regular

Re: Tileset making tools by Jorzi

Post by effigy »

Sweet!
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

can it handle java -jar WZ_tileset_generator.jar (path to folder?)
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... ap_tileset
(python)
Would work as well, since that is what we used to convert everything. :wink:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@Berg: Not yet, I just whipped it up in a few hours, got the basic functionality working and posted it here.
@Vexed: So there is a tool already? I tried asking around for stuff, but at least NoQ wasn't aware, and he's been doing some tileset stuff, especially with cliffs.

Anyway, what was the reason to switch to this format? Colour leaking from neighboring tiles? And why do we need the mipmaps to be custom generated? Can't it be done on the gpu? (once you have separate tiles you should be able to set the tile mode to extend for smooth border sampling)

Since there already exists another tool, I think i might take a look at developing that instead. My vision is a complete tileset editor, which also creates the necessary .txt and other data files, as well as the ability to load these things in flame. That will of course need some refactoring of how tilesets are currently handled. Does anyone have any plans about future developments in this area?
ImageImage
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I split the tiles because on-the-fly mipmap-generation results in lower quality results than premade mipmaps, as you can devote as much CPU time you want on the minimize algorithm, and do manual touch-ups as desired, then. The new map renderer came after I did that, and it is only used now for the decals. The whole map stuff is now a mish-mash of different ideas and an implementation in dire need of re-implementation. However, nobody is up for doing that now, as far as I know.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

It's a bit messy but I still see potential in being able to use both traditional tilesets as well as larger ground textures in the same map. Still, with the current tilesets not making heavy use of alpha channels, it doesn't mix that well.
ImageImage