[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

It appears that I've pushed the "Divergent paths" thing in a direction I didn't want it to end up in -- where it essentially means nothing in the grand scheme of things in Cam 4.

I submit the current build of Cam 4 (Release-17) for testing and review. I've been attempting to debug and clean up as much as possible. Using some tools better suited to the job (Geany -- HIGHLY recommend it for text editing needs!) has made things much easier but has also pointed out just how trashed the current code really is.

Remember that you really NEED to save either (or both) of the Transports. The mission line that occurs from saving neither of them is NOT functional. Cheat if you need to.

What it says to ME is that it's not much more than a glorified challenge. That's not what a new campaign is meant to be. It should tell a story and mean something .. and right now I'm just not sure that it's worthy of being called a campaign.

I feel like I've overextended and underperformed all at the same time.

Let me know what you guys think, overall -- and if it's worth continuing.

[EDIT]Download link is in the first post now.
Last edited by Goth Zagog-Thou on 17 Mar 2013, 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

in error. sorry.
Last edited by cumandgetit on 18 Mar 2013, 02:17, edited 2 times in total.
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

I am really angry right now, commander keeps dying to random incendiary explosives of some sort, and it's bull because I cannot kill what ever is shooting at me and it one shots everything if it hits. Hell, I don't even know where it's coming from. It's frustrating dying to random explosives from a random direction every time I attempt to play this campaign. You could say "i'm just bad at the game" well, in response I think you should try dodging a random incendiary explosive coming from nexus only knows where that is also invulnerable because it is not located on the map and thus cannot be killed.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Those would be the long-range weapon emplacements from the Nexus base. The idea is that during the first area, the player has to keep moving ("run and gun") to avoid that stuff. It ceases to be an issue once the player has left the area.

Also, the Commander can be destroyed due to not being protected enough. Select all units except for the Commander, and then link them to the Commander -- that's what it's there for, and the units will get a buff (and so does the Commander).

It's meant to be challenging but not overly difficult. What difficulty setting do you have the game on?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Uploading a new version. Fixes include:

- Less spamming of debug messages
- Tweaked Final Battle for performance and the Nexus Force cap now has a unit limit of 100 (down from 200). Please speak up if it's too easy now.
- Added some useful things that are enabled when they should be.

@Urnight: I think I know the area you are running into difficulties at. The Incendiary Mortars are there by design. You need to get your forces to the base in order to destroy them. ;) If you need to, you can always have the Commander and Tac Sergeant hang back a safe distance.
cumandgetit
Trained
Trained

Post by cumandgetit »

sorry. my error.
Last edited by cumandgetit on 18 Mar 2013, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.
Duha
Trained
Trained

Post by Duha »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote: I submit the current build of Cam 4 (Release-17) for testing and review. I've been attempting to debug and clean up as much as possible. Using some tools better suited to the job (Geany -- HIGHLY recommend it for text editing needs!) has made things much easier but has also pointed out just how trashed the current code really is.
You making new repo on each release?

PS. Try SublimeText2. It is easy to add autocomplete for API funtions to it.
http://addons.wz2100.net/ developer
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Thank you Goth Zagog-Thou, I am going to try again on an easier difficulty I guess, and I was wondering if the tanks at the starting area could use new paradigm bodies and orange/yellow player color because of the new paradigm sign on the command pannel.
Last edited by Urnight on 18 Mar 2013, 05:15, edited 1 time in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

@ Urnight: No, sorry .. the icon on the reticule is the one that comes with Contingency. You're not the first to mention it, and I might change it back to the default one. As far as changing up the bodies ... possibly. I wanted to keep the Project using Project bodies though. ;)

@ Duha: I really should do that. Right now I don't have an easy way to push commits to Github using a GUI on 'nix (using Linux Mint) since none of them really work. The official Windows Github app (from Github themselves) did work but it was slow. Using the commandline didn't work for me either. I'll take a look at SublimeText -- I know Geany has been a big help with the functions and actions tracking in a side panel.
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Got to the base, and the command center doesn't allow me to design, and on top of that a few minutes in Nexus had an army of 30 or so incendiary bomb VTOLs one shot my entire army with my commander and both Sgts. We don't even start with AA weapons so how the hell...?
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

It's glitchy. Here's what ya do:

1) Click ON the Factory (not the factory button in the reticule). Build 4 trucks. The glitch then disappears and you can use the Factory button normally again.

2) Use those trucks to demolish the Command Center. Rebuild it. Now you can design stuff.

3) Use the trucks to build Twin Assault Laser hardpoints. Those WILL shoot down the VTOLS. Keep your Commander moving around so that it doesn't get killed.

4) By that time, the first elements of the NEXUS forces will be reaching your base and you'll be in a position to deal with them.

Alternatively, you could build the 4 trucks, demolish the entire base and move all your units elsewhere. I might change the event to take place in the Coalition Base instead of where it currently happens, since the Coalition can defend you (at least temporarily). Let me know which of the above is better.
Urnight
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Urnight »

Actually, about the nexus forces incoming they seem to be... stuck. See, upon finding the base I went slightly north then to the west and demolished all scav bases in that valley, upon returning to base and later traveling in the same direction, there is 100 or so nexus units clumped up [tanks and vtols] and unable to move.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I've been getting that as well. They are supposed to update their objective every thirty seconds (go to the Commander) and it shouldn't be happening like that, but it does. This issue was one of the main reasons for dropping the unit cap to 100, because they were getting clumped up (and stuck).

I've got a fix in mind for undestroyed Scavenger walls -- simply turning on the detection events to destroy them where there are no longer any defenses.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Phew! Ok, git is finally updating.
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

you don't list this thread on your git page