Do you need help? Ask here!

Bug reporting belongs here: http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket
JDW
Regular
Regular

Map packs downloads hanging up 3.1.0 in MP

Post by JDW »

Hello Staff,

While playing in multiplayer, I joined a game which forced my WZ client to download a 5.6MB map file. After which all the player pings appeared as '∞' , and my client seemed to have hung up. I had to kill the process finally. On viewing the contents of the wz file, it seemed to have a multiplay folder, within which there were a lot of other map files bundled in.

Anyway, for everyone else's information, the host of the room was "Android Z" , and the map name was 8c-Sk-BigTeamIsland . Guys, be sure to avoid this game in the lobby.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Berg
Regular
Regular

Re: Map packs downloads hanging up 3.1.0 in MP

Post by Berg »

I suggest everyone keep an eye on the amount of maps they have and compare it with the listed maps in game if they don’t match you have been given crap maps in a mappack
By all rights you don’t expect to be given a load of maps you only should get one on every new maps or game.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

The map pack you are describing is actually "killerchangemappack2.addon.lev" though when you download it it is saved as the name of the map that was hosted from it. You are now the proud owner of 174 old-ish maps, and likely a couple duplicates.

When the download is complete the game will continue as normal.

I've advocated map-mods in past (and still do, they're very convenient when testing new balance proposals), but map packs are simply obnoxious. I'm sure some of you remember when downloading NTW meant downloading the NTWmod that would then cause issues with any vanilla wz game you joined after. This map pack is on par with that.

IIRC the main argument against mapmods was from people not knowing what they were joining. At least in those cases you have the choice to ignore that map with the mod in the future. With map packs you must have the knowledge of map packs to know to delete them in order to remove the mess of maps they come with.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

that is the one! BAN IT FROM THE SERVER!