[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

[Campaign 4] Release & Development topic

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Campaign 4 (currently for Warzone 3.1)
Licence: GPL-2
Warzone 2100, Contingency, Ultimate Scavengers Mod, Scavengers Mini-Mod and other parts used within are subject to their own licences (but are either GPL-2, GPL-3 or CC-SA).

Download link: here (My Dropbox - Filesize: 100,221kb )

--------------------------
Music Tracks (feel free to download -- they're my creations after all!): | Also on My Soundcloud

Fallout | MDF (Modern-Day Frankenstein) | The End of All Things (Part 1) | Recon | The Ruins | Warzone 2102 | Warzone 2102 (Victory Remix)
Release-20 Highlights:

- The changes to M4 have been deferred to Release-21, as this Release was far too important to hold back on.
- All Weapon Paths are now available! They need fine-tuning, of course, and some specific items may be omitted or don't appear when they should ... please speak up if you see a problem.
- All Fortresses and Firebases are now available as well, each according to its' appropriate Weapon Path.
- Weapon Paths now include an Anti-Aircraft line, and it is completely optional whether the player uses it or not. Added by request.
- Applied various structural changes to the .js portions of the script in preparation for the port to Warzone 3.2. We're now using includes (.js_inc and .js_path) that indicate readily what their function is. It's made a world of difference already!
- Minor geographical changes to localized places around the map to promote better movement of units.
- Changed the position of two beacons -- one now shows the intended entry into M4's area, the other now properly indicates the location of the Northwest Nexus Base.
- Changed the color of two other beacons to appropriately reflect what the player can expect to find there.
- Added various checks (and fixes for unusual circumstances) to add robustness to the M3 ending events. That series of events should break far less often now.
- Applied a change to the map where the player must now build a Command Center in Delta Base. This is to address an issue where being given the Command Center there did not unlock the Design Screen.
- Applied a fix to resolve not being able to produce Construction Droids in the Delta Base Factory.
- Delta Base has been shuffled around a bit. This is meant to enhance the "comfort" of Delta Base when the player first receives control.
- A new Nexus Base has been placed in the Southeast corner of the map in preparation for a new mission that we will join our Coalition allies on at the end of M3. This will make its' debut in Release-21, and will be a proof-of-concept / test-bed for a new kind of Cooperative Mission that will be featured prominently on M-12's map. Meanwhile, to satisfy Victory conditions during the Nexus Prime event, feel free to send 10-20 units down there to purge the area. There *are* Nexus-owned Oil Derricks about, too -- so make sure you take care of them as well!
- The final base during M1 has received a reorganization and facelift, more for appropriateness than anything.

Release-19 Highlights:

- All Missions that take place on the first map are now in place. They aren't all as polished as they will be, but they're in place and in a basic functional state. Lots of story and mission changes compared to Release-18, so make sure you read the dialogue!
- The showstopper glitch at the end of M2 has been fixed.
- The player should no longer be fired upon from the units that got assimilated at the end of M2 -- because they shouldn't be there. That does not mean the Nexus Patrols won't be in the area ... :D
- The showstopper glitch that prevented the campaign from progressing past M3 has been fixed.
- M4's missions are now in place -- albeit basic. This will be addressed in Release-20.
- Added music track 'Fallout'.
- Cannons weapon path is now available. The rest are slated to be available for Release-20 (Artillery, Lasers, Flamers and Railguns). Please report any weirdness in the Research tree (there likely is some ...)
- Known Issue: Speeding up the game (CTRL+ ) WILL cause a desynch issue during times of heavy dialogue. Please don't speed up the game during the Start events, the first Nexus Base, and the AA Base. If you have sped up the game, make sure you reset the game speed before those events take place.
- Known Issue: Players will need to demolish and rebuild the Command Center in the Coalition Base that they take control of at the beginning of M3. A workaround will be implemented for Release-20.

Release-18 Highlights:

- SitRep is now enabled.
- Streamlining the campaign into a cohesive story. It's still a 'make your own story' somewhat, but all paths will eventually lead to the same conclusions. Breakage may (note - probably) still occur if you fail to save both Transports and both Sergeants. Release-19 will be dedicated to getting the story locked down code-wise.
- More gameplay and aesthetic map changes.
- Research Paths are partially enabled. Machineguns, Rockets, and Mortars for now. There's still some weirdness in late stages with Engines and Power upgrades -- nothing game-breaking. Work will continue on this front for the next couple of releases.
- Known issues: The units captured by NEXUS at the end of M2 might still be hanging around. They shouldn't fire upon player forces anymore. Also known is an issue that prevents some .ogg music files from playing in-game. That issue is being investigated.

Release-17 Highlights:

- M3 Thread B is now operational. Some work is left to be done to make it "Player Friendly" still.
- M4 Thread B is NOT working as intended yet.
- Fixes to the detection routines to keep the script from getting confused
- Cleanup continues for the script in general
- Nexus Prime event is now not so hardcore, by request.
- The player no longer has to clear the M4 and M3 areas if we're doing M3 Thread B ... at least as far as the Scavengers are concerned. Some tweaking left to be done with this.
- All the fixes and changes from Release-15 and 16
Last edited by Goth Zagog-Thou on 09 Sep 2013, 04:56, edited 10 times in total.
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Re: [Campaign 4] Development topic

What I'm in the process of doing is reworking the framework so that it's easier for others to understand the setup.

The /scripts folder is structured as follows:

rules.js
mission.js (cam4-1.js, etc. as appropriate - each mission will have a corresponding .js file)

/includes/ (additional scripts that each mission can use)
beacons.js (defines the INTMESSAGE beacons we see on the map)
research.js (the primary research script, ties in with the research_path_xxxx.js scripts)
nexus.js (for Nexus-specific things)
redalphas.js (for Player 4-specific things)
coalition.js (for Player 7-specific things)
variables.js (define all of our variables ahead of time like templates, structures of note, etc)
scavfact.js (factory build events for players 4 and (eventually) 7)
research_path_mg.js (for research path machineguns)
research_path_cannons.js (for cannons)
research_path_energy.js (for Energy weapons path)
research_path_railguns.js
research_path_rockets.js
research_path_mortars.js
research_path_flamers.js

If there's any more that should be there, please speak up. I'd like this as organized and understandable as possible.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Hey Goth.

Some questions come to mind...

This framework organization makes me wonder how far you can go with modularizing the CAM structure ?

Commander specific things ?

Will iterations to come for playtesting still run on v.3.1.x ?

Btw - how far out is v.3.2, roughly ? Besides the total conversion to the JS API, what else is projected, that you know of ?

Thanks. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Heya Rman. :)

1) As much as needed. I haven't had time to really work on it in several days since the porting work of Contingency to 3.2 is taking SO much longer than I anticipated.

2) Nothing yet.

3) To be honest, probably not. The whole necessity of these changes were because some of the basic things in the JS api not working on 3.1 ... SOOO....

I may (probably) delay the port to 3.2 entirely until we get some release candidates, when all of the major structural changes to 3.2 have been finished. I only want to have to port it once. ;)

3.2 is getting better and better with each build. Lots more to do though, but it's getting there.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

That all makes sense Goth. v.3.2 is the future and you shouldn't port more than the one time. :3

RC 1 for v.3.2 ? Good question. Can you use the road to v.3.1 RC 1 as a metric ? Probably not. If there can be no time estimate, what would be the criteria for saying - "We're ready for v.3.2 Beta 1 release." - which would be X iterations prior to RC 1 ? (I know this is not Scrum dev.) :hmm:

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

As someone that's been trying to backport 3.2 JS API features to 3.1, I can say that it's almost impossible to achieve. Certainly wait for 3.2 as it's JS API is leaps and bounds beyond what can be done in 3.1, and in terms of campaigns 3.2 is the first version to bring proper support for JS scripting.

I hope the structure of campaign files will be radically improved in 3.2, currently a smörgåsbord of files in differing undocumented formats in different locations are required, making implementation and debugging painfully time consuming (not to mention the huge barrier to entry having to work out what all those files are about).

Regarding beacons, it would be nice if allied factions could send each other beacons to designate targets or ask for help. Also, enemy factions could do the same so they can better coordinate their attack/defence.

I'd also recommend investigating how research paths, etc., are being implemented in NullBot 3 - ie. via rulesets. They are evolving to a point where it's possible for NullBot to understand not just what it's paths are, but also identify different unit control strategies etc. For example, NullBot 3 is able to comprehend that flamers should be controlled differently to other droids and thus apply different micro to them.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

I think that we'll have release candidates for 3.2 sooner than the stretch from 2.3.x to 3.1 was. Good progress has been made on an almost daily basis with 3.2, so I don't think it'll take too terribly long to complete. ;)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:I think that we'll have release candidates for 3.2 sooner than the stretch from 2.3.x to 3.1 was. Good progress has been made on an almost daily basis with 3.2, so I don't think it'll take too terribly long to complete. ;)
That's great to hear. :D

Just from my baby understanding of JS API I can tell there are great possibilities in store for WZ. :3 It's like giving the old girl an entirely new lease on life with a youthful vim and vigor and wrinkle free rosy checks to boot. ;)

Why today aubergine shared another specific possibility that also has me terribly excited for MP as I am for your CAM 4. Here check it out. It's about Commanders and the efficacy of being able to use Combined Arms groups in competitive MP:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10364&p=118666#p118666

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Yep, some automation would indeed be interesting. :D
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Goth Zagog-Thou wrote:Yep, some automation would indeed be interesting. :D
I have a set of criteria / questions I ask myself that essentially sets parameters on automation.

Aubergine's scripting to address WZ's inherent and fundamental problems with combined arms groupings in competitive MP beautifully, and affirmatively, speaks to those criteria questions.

These are the 2 inter-locking criteria questions:

~ Does the change (or set of changes) promote Deep Fun GPMs ...?

~ Does the change (or set of changes) promote more decision-making opportunities that employ the complete 33 Strategies of War ... ?

So, in other words, if the answer is "no" to both questions then the automation is very likely miss-guided...

Though I specifically referenced MP mode with aubergine's solution to the 14-year old "Combined Arms Group" frustrating maneuver problems, I apply these same criteria questions to SKI and CAM modes... as well any accompaning GUI design changes that are grounded in CTA research.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

if you already have a finished product then you go with 3.1 if not then you go with 3.2
if you wait for 3.2 to be out then 3.3 will be getting ready so the waiting game never works out
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Well...

The 3.1 version of Cam 4 is about halfway finished ... BUT ... it has issues. That's the best way to describe it. And it's on hold while the porting work of Contingency to 3.2 is going. I only have two hands, and my time is limited as to how much I can work on it each day since I have a household to run and people to take care of.

There's a LOT on my plate, and I have to balance all of that somehow.

I am also nursing a broken arm that isn't healing properly, which may require surgery to correct. That's really slowed me down.

So yes, it'll get done -- no, I don't have a timeframe.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Originway - the main thing with 3.2 is that it has JS API support for campaign missions, which is a massive benefit to the scripting side of things. That simply can't be done in 3.1 branch.

@Goth: Hope your arm gets well soon! :)
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

I feel ya Goth. Broke both of mine. After the pain is done with, there's the frustration of not being 100% as you continue to attend your responsibilities. Take care of yourself bud, so you may heal to a full recovery.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

@ Aubergine: Thanks buddy. Icy front steps and concrete + chasing an escaped kitty tends to do that. This actually hurt more than when I fell 2 years ago and screwed my knee up.

@ Rman: Thanks. :) That never-ending ache is enough to drive one insane, isn't it?

What I most likely will end up doing is continuing development using 3.1, and when 3.2 is at Release Candidate I'll do the port then. Hopefully we'll have some new tools to automate the process of converting everything to .ini that dosen't require the (really) strange cvs2ini.php one. I might build the tool myself as sort of a side project while I'm healing up (assuming I can use my arm).