New textures

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

New textures

Post by Laserlight »

I have decided to go into texturing a bit. i here that there are not enough so i want to help. ;D ;D
Here is what i have done so far, they can be copied into the respected folders to work.
I want to help the community as much as possible.
P.s please tell me if you like it or not, I wan't to see if i can improve and that you approved of of it. :D

Cya.. :)
Attachments
Textures.zip
(474.97 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Last edited by Laserlight on 02 Jan 2008, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
I Reject your reality, and substitute my own :P
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: {--New textures--}

Post by Kamaze »

The archive is empty.

I normalized the Topic a bit...
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Re: New textures

Post by Laserlight »

All sorted out.. i uploaded the wrong one. hehe soz. :'(
Cya and keep replying. ;D
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I have some difficulty seeing what you have changed. Why don't you attach images here, each in a separate post with an explanation of what was changed, perhaps compared with the old version?

The modified 'ping' effect is not good - it is not an explosion, it is a signal picked up by sensors.

Also please keep in mind that the 'soft' textures are no longer used, so no need to worry about those.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

Thankz, i new it would not be much of an "explosion" but its a start.. :-\
By "soft textures" what do you mean? :-\
I added text files so you could see what i have done.
Did you not apply them to the game? just wandering as you should be able to see a difference with the power bar animating more and the HQ is slightly different, you maybe not be able to see it in picture form.. but when you extract the warzone files and replace the old ones you may see. :)

I have the original files backed up in the archive if anyone wants to go back to the original. ;)

Thankz and keep replying your opinions and suggestions. ;D
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

Its not an explosion, its just a electric charge for effect, i thought it looked better that way but thats my opinion. :)

Cya
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

i see what you're trying to do here. but i think the detail you're addind isn't really changing the crappy in game textures. HOWEVER, there is a way to make it look better. Wz engine can handle all power of 2 resolution textures. That means you can use 512*512 instead of the originals without worrying about pie files needing editing and so on. So just open an original texture, just stretch it to 512*512 or 1024*1024 (modern graphics card <on't have any problem to render even those. Not sure about the engine though.) And start editing and addind detail. This way i'm sure you could increase the graphics alot. :) Keep it up
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

Laserlight wrote: Its not an explosion, its just a electric charge for effect, i thought it looked better that way but thats my opinion. :)

Cya
I haven't tried it in wz yet cause i'm having some computer problems atm :s Maybe you could try recreating an entire building or something. If it's good, it might catch some more people's attention. Also, try posting some ingame screenshots. many people are to lazy to try it ou for themselves and just forget about it. But if they are overwhelmd by the result, they'll try it out and you will get more feedback. Check the forum stats out, all the big topics were so popular because a lot of graphical material was in them. People like an image more than they like text :)

Grtz
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

Thanks, i will do so. ;D
Cya ad keep posting. ;)
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

I have managed to boast the texture resolution to 512x512 and 2048x2048 for an experiment to see if i can add better detail to it..
And with the edits i did on the older textures i believe that even though you may not notice it its the detail that counts if someone is looking for it.. such as the Liscence plates on the cars (i think that helps a bit).
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Laserlight wrote: By "soft textures" what do you mean? :-\
The ones with "-soft" at the end of their filenames (they aren't used, so there's no need to provide them/work on them).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

the "soft" textures were supposed to be used by the software renderer, or possibly hardware in "light" mode (can't remember if it was both). iirc, the "soft" textures were actually the same resolution as the hw textures, which never made sense to me. perhaps they were a bit more blurry, and were simply scaled to half size before being used.
Laserlight
Trained
Trained

Post by Laserlight »

Ok, understood. i will not do anything about them now.. ;)
So did the textures work? some people have downloaded the package but i have not had so many replies.
just curios as the textures only added detail a bit..
i have managed to do somethings to the textures in high resolution and the game can support it, the problem is that its so hard adding anything to such a resolution.. i may give up on the 2048x2048 theres just too much needed. i will stick with 512x512 for a bit..
Till i get better experiance.. :)
Cya
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Try posting screenshots. As I said above, I had difficulty seeing what your changes were.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Hatsjoe
Trained
Trained

Post by Hatsjoe »

i think he's on smallband. i wouldn't upload screenshots if i was either.