New Bunker?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

New Bunker?

Post by themousemaster »

After reading the weapon types vs build types, I find myself with a couple questions.

1st)  The structure body type list says that the Assault Gun Guard Tower, Plasmite flamer, and Inferno emplacement are listed as bunkers.  I've only seen the "assault gun guard tower" as an enemy structure in the campaing (and brought it down like a "heavy" type, not a bunker type), a "Plasmite Flamer" is just a turret type, and I could have sworn the "Inferno Emplacement" was both medium and heavy, but not bunker (for reasons I'm not sure of, In V1.1, once you research the inferno emplacement, it puts 2 of them in your build list, one with almost no cost, one with a substantial one).

2nd (and more importantly))  There seems to be a very low occurrance of bunker buildings.  This is fine early game, when light cannons and machineguns are all you have.  But the only post-T1 bunker at all is the Twin Assault Cannon bunker, which in my experience has little effect against any non light-hover vehicle body at the lategame period where you will be placing them.

For lategame weapons, you only have choices of hardpoints and emplacements; (again, in my experience) emplacements die to 4 hits from anything, and Hardpoints all have the same weapon resiliencies...

Which goes a long way to explain why the Scourge rocket is the end-all of popular weaponry.  Lategame, all the powerful weapons can only be on droids, emplacements, or hardpoints; I.E. stuff that are all easily destroyed by Scourges (at least, more easily destroyed by scourges than most other weapons).  Bascially, unless facing huge waves of VTOLs (don't see that often), or huge waves of Cyborgs (don't see that often either), there is no reason an entire lategame attack force should be anything other than the uber-long-range, uber-damaging scourge rockets.

I know that there is discussion elsewhere about making cybrogs and vtols more useful all-around, which is good from an offensive standpoint; but what I'd like to request is, if possible, to get an idea if it would be feasible to take some of the more potent weapons, and place them on a Bunker?  Maybe not scourge rockets mind you, but perhaps the Railgun weaponry?

Just, you know, to give attack forces a reason to be anything other than a scourgefest with a couple Hellstorms following behind ;p.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Re: New Bunker?

Post by Troman »

I agree, adding some bunkers to the mid/late game is not a bad idea. We probably shouldn't put heavy weapons on a bunker, like themousemaster already pointed out Scourge doesn't sound like a good candidate.
What about Flashlight Bunker, Needle Gun Bunker and maybe Rail Gun Bunker?

Some other candidates could be Pulse Laser Bunker and Tank Killer Bunker, but these weapons are a bit more powerfull.

Is it a crazy idea to add a Medium Cannon Bunker?
I've only seen the "assault gun guard tower" as an enemy structure in the campaing (and brought it down like a "heavy" type, not a bunker type), a "Plasmite Flamer" is just a turret type, and I could have sworn the "Inferno Emplacement" was both medium and heavy, but not bunker (for reasons I'm not sure of, In V1.1, once you research the inferno emplacement, it puts 2 of them in your build list, one with almost no cost, one with a substantial one).
There's Inferno Hardpoint, which is 'Hard' and Inferno Emplacement, which is actually a bunker. We should probably fix the name.

BTW what if we make all emplacements of type 'Medium'?
?topic=1617.0
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

yep that's a good idea,the mg bunker is too weak against most propulsions,the flame bunker has poor range,normally I just ignore the AI's 'bunker phalanx' when attacking its base,because it takes forever for a few bunkers to destroy 1 HC tracks.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Don't think that a medium cannon bunker would look so good. And I always had the canons as a nearly arty in mind...

And yes: You can easily ignore flamer bunkers, because the AI never builds enough of them (and really not secured by longrange wpns) to be of any harm. Usually I just use longrange wpns to destroy everything but the flamer bunkers.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Troman wrote: I agree, adding some bunkers to the mid/late game is not a bad idea. We probably shouldn't put heavy weapons on a bunker, like themousemaster already pointed out Scourge doesn't sound like a good candidate.
What about Flashlight Bunker, Needle Gun Bunker and maybe Rail Gun Bunker?

I was thinking Pulse laser, TankKiller and Gauss Cannon.

Pulse laser and TK because they are the "midrange" weaponry of their class,

and Gauss because, although it's the top-tier railgun weapon, it's also the only one to even come close to giving a Scourge rocket a run for its money on its range (while still not being quite as powerful as the Scourge on impact).