Art Revolution mod. Latest release: January, 2015

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
Supermint
Greenhorn

Re: Art Revolution mod, New release: alpha 2

Post by Supermint »

This mod is stunning. I would love to lend a hand in the creation of this mod. I generally feel enthusiastic for it. I am looking at ways the mods have been done. One thing I know is that I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to coding and modelling. I can create decent textures though. I just need to work out how to use them in WZ2100. I have the PieSplicer but I would love to increase the resolution way higher. I have a decent spec machine (around 210fps with about 50-60 units moving on screen) so I know there will be no issues in data handling. Just the squidgy bit using it is the issue. Any ideas on what I can use to increase the resolution of the bases of buildings so I can increase the detail on them.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Well, we do not improve old textures, we create them from scratch but first we make completely new models. :-)
If you want to know how the work process is going, then you should learn a basics of modelling but the short list looks so:
1) create a low poly model
2) create a high poly model from low poly as a copy
3) create the uv map of low poly model
4) bake necessary textures which will include details of high poly model
5) finish baked textures in the image editing program.

I think that paragraph five is about you, implying that you're good with image editing. ;-)
Supermint
Greenhorn

Post by Supermint »

Thanks MaNGusT.

I would like to know what program you are using to create the models. The bases should be easy enough.

I'll have a crack at using the current models to get used to how WZ does things.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

The bases should be easy enough.
I don't think so. :-)
Supermint wrote:I would like to know what program you are using to create the models.
3dsmax or Blender. Doesn't matter, whatever you are used to. :)
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Also, if you want, you can always download and unzip our mod to see how we've made the models & textures :)

There are of course other capable modeling packages besides 3dsmax and blender, like cinema4d, modo, maya, silo etc. But blender is the only free program that can be compared to these, really.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

calgari trueSpace is high end though its more geared towards nurbs and was release for free.

Daz3d or Bryce3d.. one of the two were also released for free (though may have only been for a limited time)

How much longer till the WZ models start handling normal maps or parallax maps?
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I haven't really tried truespace but unfortunately it's abandonware nowadays. What really makes blender and the commercial pro packages stand out is advanced hipoly->lowpoly baking, retopologizing, advanced UV mapping algorithms, 3d texture painting, sculpting, realtime shader preview etc...

About normal maps in warzone: This mod already uses object space normal maps, which look just as good as tangent space maps, but aren't nearly as flexible. Tangent space maps are working in the wzm branch, but unfortunately there's a long way to go before it's ready for merging, and very little work is done on it.
As for parallax occlusion, no one really uses that except for static terrain stuff, dunno exactly why.
ImageImage
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I'd avoid the Daz/Bryce stuff, it looks great and then you start using it and suddenly you wish someone would shoot you in the head to take away the pain.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

aubergine wrote:I'd avoid the Daz/Bryce stuff, it looks great and then you start using it and suddenly you wish someone would shoot you in the head to take away the pain.
Agree with that. Started using Quad Software's Grome 4 years ago and haven't looked back. It's a shame TrueSpace has become abandon ware. And if you don't have a rich uncle to gift you a copy of Maya, Blender is a good choice. :3

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

You could use Gmax that is also discontinued but still available for free.
Jorzi wrote:As for parallax occlusion, no one really uses that except for static terrain stuff, dunno exactly why.
because it really "eats" performance and has some graphical artifacts which can be fixed(hided) by "eating" more performance(different calculation methods, more passes, etc.), also afair it has some hardware limitations. We tried it in wzm branch - it's usable only for RPG, 1stPS, 3rdPS and other genres, RTS games use it only with terrain, if use at all.
Supermint
Greenhorn

Post by Supermint »

Thanks Guys. I have just downloaded blender and I'm looking forward to have a little play with it,
Supermint
Greenhorn

Post by Supermint »

Just a quick bump. Jorzi, How is the mod proceeding as I would love to see what you've done since the last update (quite a while ago). What buildings have you done.
I've had to do a complete refresh of my PC. It threw a total wobler when I put my shiney new GTX660 into my PC. Reformat + clean re-install of windows + reinstalation of everything = many days of pain. (All data + music gone :( )
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

Sorry to disappoint you, but I haven't really made much progress on this one lately, except for some doodling on a twin assault cannon (see my artwork thread ;) )
I should probably make a new release with the fixes to the shader problems noticed by aubergine &co...
ImageImage
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Re: Art Revolution mod. Latest release: alpha 3 January 20,

Post by Jorzi »

Packed and released verion alpha 3 of the mod (see first post), please report any bugs ;) I only have the possibility to test out shaders on my Nvidia gtx 560 ti
ImageImage
KEN+J
Trained
Trained

Re: Art Revolution mod. Latest release: alpha 3 January 20,

Post by KEN+J »

Is this alpha 2 or alpha 3? I went to download and it read alpha 2.