Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by bendib »

Warzone 2100 Legacy is preparing for a 1.0 release. We will have one or more alphas, a beta, and possibly an RC, followed by the final release. These releases will attempt to keep netcode compatibility, since all balance changes for Warzone 2100 Legacy are finalized.
Also known as Subsentient.
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wei2912 »

Short version
Alpha 1.0 version released! Our first version!

Long version
After a lot of hard work + hard slacking, we've finally finished the first Alpha version of Warzone 2100 Legacy! This is a really important milestone for us. Being Alpha is something really important - it means that we've managed to create something that is somewhat stable. In case you didn't know we have 5 states:
1. Stable
2. Beta
3. Alpha
4. Microwave
5. Microwave Popping (GitHub source)
Alpha would be the 3rd one, we'll go towards Beta and finally to Stable.

What's so great?
We've made huge advancements, in fact, loads of them.
Here's a small list of what we have accomplished:
  • Accuracy Patch
    Conversion of files to PIE 3 (removes excess polygons)
    Allow structures to fire over each other
    Correct backward shadows
    Windows Installer interface tweaks
    Fixed crash in lobby
    Permit deleted templates to continue production until aborted.
    Spectator mode
    Change from SDL to QT
    Me chat support
You can visit our guide on how to use the brand new features at http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/wiki/index ... ewFeatures

We're proud to announce that many of our optimizations have caused a gigantic improvement in FPS, as well as more pleasing graphics. How much? Here's my non-official benchmarks, tested on a Intel Integrated Graphics 2000 + Intel Sandy Bridge i5 (note that they are not what you will get on your system, even if it has the same specs as mine). We used spectator mode.

Rush map: 120-130 FPS
Mist map: 110-125 FPS
Abandoned: 110-190 FPS
TUBridge2 (my own map, so it should be quite definite): 125-140 FPS
TwinArrowsHead (Subsentient/bendib's map): 135-180 FPS

FPS usually depends on the cliffs/hills present in the map. As you can see these FPS are insanely great - and we (I actually) did it in fullscreen on a 1360x768 screen. Subsentient reported a FPS of around 30 - which is very high for his hardware.

Please do not say that our results are false - this is obviously based on what computer you use as well as the configuration of your game. I am using a somewhat high-end computer. Unless you have extensive proof that our results are false, go on and tell us - with your computer specs.

All our builds are stable (excluding microwave_popping) - they should not crash. We test each commit we push extensively.

How to download
Navigate to http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/downloads.html and download the release for your operating system. We still need a Mac developer - if anyone is interested, please join!

How to install
Linux
Now, you need to generate your files. This adds an additional step to installation.

First, check that you have Automake 1.12. If you don't, go on and compile it if it isn't included in your distro's repositories. It won't take that long and it's really easy to compile. Why we require this is due to a bug in Automake 1.11 which was, frankly, a horrible version. Files with extension .hpp popped up which never existed in the Linux world (at least what we know).

Now, do the following steps:

Code: Select all

./autogen.sh
./configure
make
make install
Windows
We fixed loads of issues with the Windows installer. We'll be coming out with a new splash screen too - but that's for the next version.

Windows installation should be quite simple. Download and double click on the installer. Done.

Conclusion (lol)
Enjoy the new Warzone 2100 Legacy that is finally... somewhat stable (or at least less unstable)!

=======================
Originally posted at http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/forums/index.php?topic=4
Last edited by wei2912 on 12 Nov 2012, 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

So far it's proven to be rather stable, but it does have a couple bugs that are still present in current warzone releases that I intend to fix, such as text scrolling off the screen in the lobby chat. Other than that, this is a fantastic release worth the download IMHO.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I want to say a few things:
1. The Warzone 2100 Legacy Project condemns the actions by HardBot under an obscene name, spamming the lobby.
2. We are going to find other avenues to spread our game than these forums. There are many freeware sites that we can spread our game to. The site also needs much work.
3. Thanks to all who care so much about Legacy. We have our own community that you are welcome to join.
4. I am going to pull back on the forums, because my personal rage over the lobby matter, including the accusation that this was by Legacy itself, impaired my judgement and lead to me posting several spiteful posts on these forums. I wish you all well. My contact information is available on my website, next to my nick.

Releases will still be announced in this thread, but that's about it.

-Subsentient
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

I wish you good luck on your endeavors, though it seems inevitable that projects like these would, sooner or later, attract the attention of trolls and such. I personally believe that my own Contingency mod may receive such unwanted attention in the future, though you can never predict when it'll happen.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I sincerely hope that your prediction is incorrect. Take care, friend.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

The nastiness of the 31 crew shows them up as losers. If they could, they would trump Legacy with a playable version of 31 - and we all know that won't happen.

Don't waste your time on them, bendib, keep it for the good work you are doing.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Thanks zydonk. I plan a rehaul of the Lobby Games list section possibly with tabs, players leaving MP that actually works in all occasions, building modules on holograms, fixing superborgs that are available without borg dense composite alloys, reversion to OpenGL 1.x compliance, re-enabling fog of war, and more. Fog of war will be the hardest with the netcode, if they did indeed rip out all that code as I think they did.
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wei2912 »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:I wish you good luck on your endeavors, though it seems inevitable that projects like these would, sooner or later, attract the attention of trolls and such. I personally believe that my own Contingency mod may receive such unwanted attention in the future, though you can never predict when it'll happen.
Might be offtopic... anyway since your mod is quite large and requires quite some time to get used to, I think you might be interested in some utilities we've written for our own project to generate information (sadly in Java because I'm most proficient in it):
https://github.com/wei2912/wz2100legacyUtils

Have fun :)
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

@Avestron - crew of what sinking ship?

keep up with the latest news...
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Yes I was asking yourself, in pm, who the '31 crew' that you mention are (and, although not included) what variant they work on).

No ships mentioned, let alone sinking ones - and it was pm so as to avoid the possibility of an argument breaking out. :)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

2 questions for the Legacy Team: First.... I looked over your project goals (admirably clear) and website (love the forum layout) and am setting aside time this weekend to carefully check out your latest release. What you are after and how you are going about it I find very promising and reminds of a certain spirit (espirit de corps) that was strong in the original Pumpkin Studios community in '99 and which lasted for half-dozen years after. Anyways, on to the 2 questions...

1.) What's your projects long term position on mod support ?

2.) Is addressing (at some point) the log-jamming / PF (& associated combat group control) issues a part of your project goals ?

Regards, RV. :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

@avestron: I assume you are being disingenuous. And if you are subtle enough for disingenuity, then you should also have a taste for metaphor. Incidentally, I reserve the right to choose how I respond to unsolicited pm, especially those looking for "an argument".

@bendib: a thought. Consider spreading the good news about future releases of WZ Legacy in the News and Announcement section of the Forum. No one else seems any longer to have a use for it...
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

@Rman: We have no problem with mods and would be angry if map mod support were to become broken. I believe that mods are good for the game, but should never, ever, be integrated into the balance. We would like to create unit movement similar to 2.3.9, but since our current codebase plays very much like this already, it is not a priority.

@zydonk: Please remember that one of The Warzone 2100 Legacy Project's goals are to create a more friendly community. This game is not founded on rage, it's founded on the ideas of salvation. Salvation for a game that seems doomed. Please be kind to wz2100.net members. If you are angry about the game being insane, remember that Legacy alpha one is out and works well. Development for alpha 2 is moving very quickly. Much has been done in regards to the UI already, and a minor tech tree fix where superborgs for laser, rail, and tank killer don't require Cyborg Dense Composite Alloys like they should. Many of our preliminary goals have already been met.

@Avestron: We are referring to the wz2100.net 3.1 developers, but not including *all* of them.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Thanks bendib for the clarification. Music to my ears. :) Your answer to my questions and also what you expressed in your response to zydonk. :3

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo