Trains

Ideas and suggestions for how to improve the Warzone 2100 base game only. Ideas for mods go in Mapping/Modding instead. Read sticky posts first!
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Re: Trains

Post by aubergine »

With the construction tech being able to build entire buildings rep-rap style, maglev tracks would prolly be easy to construct/repair.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
RedShocktrooper
Trained
Trained

Post by RedShocktrooper »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:
Lord Apocalypse wrote:As for trains.. no, considering the date it would be maglev :p
I'd imagine that old-fashioned locomotives would still be around by that time, especially since it would be cheaper to repair traditional train tracks than to repair maglev tracks. :geek:
It would also be easier to make new "two long pieces of steel atop wood ties" tracks as opposed to Maglev ones.

I think "Train" might be a new propulsion, with trucks/bogies and such. The toughness of Treads and the speed of Wheels or even Hovercraft, but restricted to certain tiles. Also, a special variant of the artillery weapons for use by siege trains that can rotate, because obviously a train can't turn to face its target.
Galacticruler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galacticruler »

RedShocktrooper wrote:
Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:
Lord Apocalypse wrote:As for trains.. no, considering the date it would be maglev :p
I'd imagine that old-fashioned locomotives would still be around by that time, especially since it would be cheaper to repair traditional train tracks than to repair maglev tracks. :geek:
It would also be easier to make new "two long pieces of steel atop wood ties" tracks as opposed to Maglev ones.

I think "Train" might be a new propulsion, with trucks/bogies and such. The toughness of Treads and the speed of Wheels or even Hovercraft, but restricted to certain tiles. Also, a special variant of the artillery weapons for use by siege trains that can rotate, because obviously a train can't turn to face its target.
So much this.
C27
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C27 »

I think the best way to "add trains" would be to add in placeable rail tracks and bridges to the map doohickeys and use them as a flavor item. That's especially the case if bridges get added in.
Perhaps a small chassis could go over a rail bridge, but not medium or larger ones which would need a road bridge.
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

There were 2 Japanese shows translated into English with trains that can go from planet to planet. They were called "The Galaxy Railways" and "Galaxy Express 999". 999 was more of a Japanese passenger, whereas some of the engines from "Galaxy Railways" had trains with guns and deep space-craft, the most famous being Big 1, which in real life is a 4-8-8-4 Union Pacific "Big Boy" class. The most recent one that's going to be restored is 4012, which in turn is going to be featured in the film "BigBoy". :hmm: Now I don't know what would come after all of this typing.
"Hastalabesta, baby. You're terminated."-Arnold Schwarzenegger/Terminator
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

The more I'm thinking about custom campaign missions, the more story has a role to play and thus manifestation of that story on the map. So I'm starting to think something like trains as a visual manifestation of campaign objectives would be useful. Still can't think of any real benefit to them in skirmish/multiplayer, other than eye candy.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

In Scav country, a Scav armored train. Laid-out in a wide circle, track trenched, their encampment in the middle, first line of defense.

A host of facinating images to supplement the one attatched. Just riffing. :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=armored+ ... 80&bih=574
Attachments
800px-Pancierovy_vlak-Zvolen.jpg

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Rman Virgil, yeah, those seems to be perfect for Scavengers, at least if not used too often. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Emdek wrote:Rman Virgil, yeah, those seems to be perfect for Scavengers, at least if not used too often. ;-)
Well, I think its very unlikely scav armored trains will ever be anything more than a passing brain burp. ;)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Also the way trains worked in AOE 3 is quite nice too :)
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

I've been thinking about a map where there would be enemies far, FAR away from base (and I mean more that 100 ingame tiles). I got this crazy idea for it. Rails will be able to be built by the player(s) and enemy/enemies. When the rails are connected to the edge of the map and at least one station, trains will come in every once in a while to deliver free oil/power. All trains will have to be built in order to transport oil/power, tanks, cyborgs and VTOLS. Basically, everything that is rail-based will be built by the players/AI's.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I genuinely have no idea why I find the idea of trains in WZ strangely appealing. It certainly opens up lots of interesting storylines and scripting possibilities.

The train depot would be like a factory, that can only build trains -- locomotive propulsion -- the engine size determines the number of cargo containers the train can move. Containers could carry small things like oil drums, cyborgs.

Train tracks would be laid like building walls, only you're placing tracks. Would need to limit the "bendiness" of them though, they need to be mostly in straight lines. A section of track that allows a direction change would require 1x1 tile for up to 45º or 2x2 tile for up to 90º?

And where would the tracks go to? It's not possible to build to edge of map. So there would have to be some sort of map feature that would act as an off-map connection point - 5x1 tiles bit of special indestructible track in the map border. Lay tracks between your depot and that bit of track and you got yourself a link to the outside world.

There could be two other types of connector as well... A mine entrance with tracks coming out of it (map maker would place the feature next to a cliff to make it look like the mine is part of the cliff -- would allow extraction of whatever is in the mine, then send it offworld at map edge and a while later a train comes back with oil barrels for you. The other connector would be similar, a tunnel entrance used as an alternate off-world connector.

To work well with tunnels, trains would need to be able to pass through terrain, or at least the tunnel feature object. Wouldn't want sections of the train to just abruptly appear/disappear. Off world at map-edge wouldn't be so bad as its dark there.

If track segments get destroyed then train components would explode if they run off the track. Or, better, turn in to burning wrecks around the broken track. If train is not near the broken track, it slams on the breaks but only comes to a stop after 20 tiles (by which time it might have reached the broken tracks).

Player could have option to spend power to ship in certain types of unit or whatever.

Would other units, like tanks, be able to move over tracks (or under tracks if they were a raised monorail)? Maybe there could be special sections of track that allow units to pass over them. How would train path finding work? Maybe tracks would be a terrain type? How would train sections be joined together? Would player have control over train motion on tracks?
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Let me answer the first paragraph :)

Because you are very creative, open minded and willing to work :)

Thank you five dollars :) so I could buy Trains Simulator 2013 and smash approchin cars ;)

It is just a beginning, as then we will implement metrop and plane flights :) And then space :) we already have it, with lass sattelite strike, but one station or 89 would do too :)

To sum up. Wilingness to help and ideas are the best currency here so far. I assume :hmm:
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
AlphaThor01
Trained
Trained

Post by AlphaThor01 »

I second that, Merowingg. aubergine, thanks for contributing some ideas. They look pretty interesting, all of them do. If there is a mod just like this that's going to be completed, it's going to take a LONG time to create, post, and download it. Merowingg, why would you talk about buying TS2013 and smash cars with trains in this thread? Even though I don't own the game, I can tell that since all moving cars react to all level crossings, you can't really smash them (would be cool if the cars would actually mimic real life cars and with their drivers completely drunk you could teach them a lesson or two by "railroading" them).
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Merowingg, why would you talk about buying TS2013 and smash cars with trains in this thread?
AlphaThor01 :) you dont know me, but I have specific sense of humour sometimes. And I very often connect very abstract things and I have also created many not to the game strictly related threads here. So it is just my style :) only teasing and spreading strange humour.

But remember sometimes in ambigous way I sneal some ideas or tease with others, agree or disagree with them, so be warned ;)

I do wonder how the project and if evolve :)

Regards - Mero