Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Fork: Legacy

Post by bendib »

ATTENTION: Some people may think due to the lack of activity that Legacy is no longer being developed. This is not true. I am very busy with real life right now, but things should clear up in a few days. I have isolated a few bugs and come up with a few good new features, but I currently have no time to work on them. I have a mounting to-do list as well that parts of which must be carried out and things that must be repaired, so it may be a few days before I get things in order enough where I can develop legacy again. One thing I just accomplished was soldering back together the loose connections on my main laptop's power brick, and another I must do today is attempt to get my eMac G4 to boot from it's optical drive again, which it's firmware recently decided doesn't exist despite the OS being able to read and burn with it. After that, I intend to put PowerPC Fedora 17 on it (yes, a secondary arch team built a 32 bit ISO, bring your own bootloader), then I need to repair a pile of frayed and loose cabled optical mice, among other tedious tasks. Oh, and I currently am babysitting five kittens until they are old enough to be given away. Want a kitten and live near Phoenix? PM me.

-Sub
Also known as Subsentient.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

optical drive
Hmm, those still exist? I mean, usb pendrive boot is somehow unavailable?
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

@NoQ: A USB pendrive on a PowerPC mac is not fun. Apple customized Open Firmware, let's not forget. I need a tiny HFS partition as a bootstrap just to boot linux, and I *must* use the apple partition table. Mucking around with USB drives is no fun. It'll boot from a USB drive alright, if you dd an ISO to it, but then it tries to boot from the optical drive. I got the optical drive working anyhow. Yanked out the dead superdrive and shoved in a DVD-ROM drive I had.

EDIT: furthermore, many of my machines were around at *least* since George W. Bush was re-elected, so USB boot is not a good option. Plop boot manager lets you do it, but it comes at the terrible price of USB 1.1 speed.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

ATTENTION: The site for Warzone 2100 Legacy is up, but the wiki is under construction. The forums are fully operational however the theme needs tweaking.

The URL is here: http://universe2.us/wzlegacy
wei2912
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wei2912 »

Download.
Compile (for Linux).
Enjoy.

(achievement accomplished! announcing a new release in 5 words.)

Skipping all that, let's go straight to the download links which you all are itching to click.

The Awesome Never-Breaking link:
http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/downloads.html

For those impatient/low bandwidth folks:

Linux (tar.gz):
https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 10-27-2012

Windows (the "fancy" exe):
https://github.com/downloads/Subsentien ... -win32.exe

Enjoy!

Original topic posted at http://universe2.us/wzlegacy/forums/ind ... .msg5#msg5
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

NOTE: Due to physfs 2.0.2 being built into the Windows version and repeated failed attempts to compile 2.0.3 under MinGW, the Windows version cannot load Nullbot most of the time. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

this is why you need windows developers to compile under VC10
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

When Bill Gates donates a billion dollars to the Linux Foundation, I'll compile under a real windows system.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

and that is why many open source projects fail on windows... Not being able to compile on a windows system is understandable. Refusing to do so is just stupid.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

I am unable and unwilling. So what does that make me? :^)
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

hmm.. stupidly understandable I guess :p When I started working on Vega Strike they had been without a windows developer for over a year and it showed. It took almost 3 months to get a stable build working on windows again.

As I said, not having a windows build can cause a lot of problems down the line.. that's why its best to have someone who can compile under windows if you can't do it yourself. Fewer bugs, fewer long term problems. Cross-compiling in linux does not catch windows specific bugs nor does it help find them. We had a few bugs that were windows specific that didn't show up under linux. Then again we also had a few that windows never had to deal with as well. Sadly we still don't have a Mac maintainer :(
E-102 Gamma
Regular
Regular

Post by E-102 Gamma »

bendib wrote:I am unable and unwilling. So what does that make me? :^)
Understandable.
Lord Apocalypse wrote:Not being able to compile on a windows system is understandable.
bendib wrote:I am unable and unwilling.
:lecture:
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Well, I got sick of it. The thought in the back of my mind of devs mocking me for going full QT, the few users who lag like heck with the new backend, well, I got so sick of it I did the unthinkable: I downloaded RC3. Not to play, I downloaded it to benchmark it against the latest of Warzone 2100 Legacy. Not much difference, but wasn't QT supposed to be slower? That's not what I found. Benched against two running copies of itself, Legacy loses like 10fps compared to RC3, but side by side with RC3, well, there you go.

NOTE: If someone says "shadows aren't on in Legacy!" I'll point them to this commit of me fixing the terrain shadowing to face the right direction: https://github.com/Subsentient/wz2100le ... 0d072ebd60
Attachments
LegacyVSRC3.png
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

bendib wrote:Not much difference, but wasn't QT supposed to be slower?
It was only slower on some systems (mostly Windows iirc). It ran ok for most of us, which is why it took quite some time to go to our current mix of Qt and SDL. You can still do ./configure --with-backend=qt/sdl to select which to use, but Qt as default was deemed a bad idea.
We want information... information... information.
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

@bendib: shadows and shading are entirely different things, shadows have a significant impact on performance while terrain shading is (hopefully) precomputed and has no effect on performance.
That said, the lighting inconsistency in 3.1 really bothers me.

EDIT: oh wait, legacy has shadows on while 3.1 doesn't and legacy still runs faster? Although having them running at the same time might significantly alter the result.
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-