Complaints about 3.1 (Was "maps by Ray")

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
raycast
Trained
Trained

Re: Complaints about 3.1 (Was "maps by Ray")

Post by raycast »

I happen to like 3.x much more than 2.x, although it took quite some time until it worked for my (old intel) graphics card.

So in particular, I do not plan to fix my experimental maps for 2.x, which I don't use. And the bug of trucks getting stuck on a cliff apparently doesn't exist in 3.x anymore...

Yes, there are bugs in 3.x that I didn't remember seeing in 2.x - for example, two cyborg dancing in a circle instead of stopping and shooting their grenades. But I figure this could be fixed rather easily, by adding a threshold to every move command, depending on the number of units you have. Say: if I order 10 units to a particular place, any unit that gets to within sqrt(10) of the target and that is (repeatedly) blocked/pushed away by another unit, should consider the command completed. Or something like this. Or you could make a push counter. If any unit is pushed away more than it gets closer to its target for more than 2 seconds, it could take a break or consider the command complete if "close enough".

A lot of these things can be solved, if people would bother more to look at the code instead of only complaining all day.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

If a unit is blocked, and is within √t of the target (where t is time, don't remember if it was exactly √ or some other increasing function), it is considered to be close enough. But the time t is currently reset if the unit manages to move at all, so it doesn't help in the case of running in circles. When units are blocked, they stop moving. It might help a tiny bit, if they tried moving out of the way of other units, instead of just stopping. There's lots of things that could be changed that might help, but most of them don't really, so it can be hard to figure out the best things to change.

A reason for units not getting stuck in 2.3 is because they teleport all over the place (usually only when they aren't visible in the viewport, though), which helps with traffic jams. But that "solution" has some problems..., for obvious reasons.

Think the whole pathfinding and pathwalking system needs rewriting completely. The question is who by, and what it should be rewritten into. (Or maybe someone can find a few tweaks that fixes all the problems somehow.)

Yes, it would be good if more people looked at the code instead of complaining all day. (But maybe the reason for complaining all day is that that's all they know how to do, not sure.)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

zydonk wrote:And the best thing anyone could say in praise of 3.1 RC2 was that the fans in the factory were spinning round...
Is it worth it to keep talking?
sonicyouth
New user

Post by sonicyouth »

When I open 3.1 it will only play in a small window with no option to maximize, not sure why or how to fix it. Anybody know?
raycast
Trained
Trained

Post by raycast »

Try going into the game settings...
Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

NoQ wrote:
zydonk wrote:And the best thing anyone could say in praise of 3.1 RC2 was that the fans in the factory were spinning round...
Is it worth it to keep talking?
just how many anti-3.1 threads is zydonk going to start anyway?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Zydonk did NOT make the various threads, Staff did. He just made posts in different threads.

new paradigm leader
Trained
Trained

Post by new paradigm leader »

thing is there are some nice game-play features in 3.1 I mean, I remember the problems with gate mods in 2.1 and now those are in the game. Personally my biggest issue is and always has been the damn port forwarding, back in 2.1.x that was not an issue and I could host without constantly having to change my router settings because of my pc's IP shifting a digit or two which I can tell you gets annoying. if there were a way to rig the game to connect to the multiplayer server in the old way I'd do it in moments. but thats just a pet peeve i've had since the port 2100 came in all those versions ago.
Return to your designated zone or be destroyed. You are in contravention of the new paradigm.
ADMIRALLORDHOOD
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ADMIRALLORDHOOD »

Set your computers IP to a fixed one in your router settings, took me 10 mins and I can host games with no fuss.