Release of Chojun's WZ Source Looks to be Aborted

Other talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.
This is for General Discussion, not General chat.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: The Release of Chojun's WZ Source - Input Welcome.

Post by Rman Virgil »

Remember, gentlemen, the following distinctions must be adhered to. There would appear to be a veering into the disallowed type which could possibly endanger this thread's status.
Discussions

This is General Discussion, not General chat.
discussion - definition of discussion by the Free Online Dictionary ... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/discussion dis·cus·sion (d -sk sh n). n.

1. Consideration of a subject by a group; an earnest conversation.

2. A formal discourse on a topic; an exposition.
chat - definition of chat by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and ... http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chat

1.) To converse in an easy, familiar manner; talk lightly and casually.
Jaron Lanier, computor scientist, VR technology pioneer, author and musician, explores these online type distinctions in his 2010 "I Am Not A Gadget".

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

anything new on this? Either the svn or the already uploaded source?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:anything new on this? Either the svn or the already uploaded source?
I sent that last email off Sunday 7/15 about the data inclusion in the first UL over last weekend and that's it from my end. I haven't been monitoring the UL site. Been trying to stay focused on my 2 Machinima / CGI film shorts & cultural-political blog in my spare time - though I did get myself side-tracked in the last week burning up irreplacable time with posting on the subject of "Power", something I'm making a concerted effort to drastically curtail for a number of reasons.

I haven't recieved anymore emails or PMs since the last one I posted. Effectively, I have no more info on my end at this time. Just checked the FTP. Don't see anything. ... but it could have been moved already, clearing the way for the secondary SVN UL to come. But I'm just speculating on that.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

.Edited for typos and syntax.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Yeah, I mostly made the post hoping safetyoff would have spoken up about whats the status on the UL. Such is life though. Along different lines though.. did you ever get your lunch with Chojun?
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Yeah, I mostly made the post hoping safetyoff would have spoken up about whats the status on the UL. Such is life though. Along different lines though.. did you ever get your lunch with Chojun?
Last time I was in SLC, UT. he treated. I owe him one. Early 2013 next time. :) (Girlfriend wants to spend time in Bryce Canyon so it'll be on that trip along the way.)

Paul
Trained
Trained

Post by Paul »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Yeah, I mostly made the post hoping safetyoff would have spoken up about whats the status on the UL. Such is life though. Along different lines though.. did you ever get your lunch with Chojun?
there doesn't seem to be anyone around as I wrote before which is why I don't think there will be any more releases. :cry:
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

we shall see.. at least for this release. The main WZ project line had a merge on the 22nd so that will at least have an update eventually.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Rman Virgil wrote:
Lord Apocalypse wrote:anything new on this? Either the svn or the already uploaded source?
I sent that last email off Sunday 7/15 about the data inclusion in the first UL over last weekend and that's it from my end. I haven't been monitoring the UL site. Been trying to stay focused on my 2 Machinima / CGI film shorts & cultural-political blog in my spare time - though I did get myself side-tracked in the last week burning up irreplacable time with posting on the subject of "Power", something I'm making a concerted effort to drastically curtail for a number of reasons.

I haven't recieved anymore emails or PMs since the last one I posted. Effectively, I have no more info on my end at this time. Just checked the FTP. Don't see anything. ... but it could have been moved already, clearing the way for the secondary SVN UL to come. But I'm just speculating on that.

- Regards, RV :hmm:

.Edited for typos and syntax.
Just checked, nothing on the server FTP site, and logs, so it don't look like anything related to the Chojun's source was ever uploaded to that.

And yes, most of us are indeed busy with RL, so not that much work on WZ is being done currently. :stressed:
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
bendib
Regular
Regular

Post by bendib »

Rman Virgil wrote:.

Remember, gentlemen, the following distinctions must be adhered to. There would appear to be a veering into the disallowed type which could possibly endanger this thread's status.
Discussions

This is General Discussion, not General chat.
DERP.

I couldn't help myself.

Have a nice vacation.
Last edited by Staff on 27 Aug 2012, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Have a nice vacation.
Also known as Subsentient.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Came across this thread's recent postings yesterday by happenstance and was shocked to the point of saying to myself - "WTF happened?"

At the time of my last post I thought at least the non-SVN files from his LT would have been up-loaded and that between then and now, the SVN. But nothing.... that is basically, well, let's just say not good. Bad form, to say the least.

I posted here the last email I received from Chojun and thought it a done deal. Actually I thought it a done deal BEFORE I made this thread. When I first contacted him I asked point blank - do you wanna do this, yes or no? Whatever the answer is fine. No is your prerogative but if it's yes then there will be a public announcement (this thread) and peeps will mobilize to facilitate the best transfer of the files (member SafetyOff saw to that). I asked again: "Chojun, is that ok?" ..... "Yes Rman, it is." And here we are, months later, nothing.

What's to be made of this? Seismo got the files over a year ago no fuss.

In any case, I shot him an email yesterday evening about this situation.

When and if I hear back I'll post directly.

I donot have the SVN but I do have the files: data & binaries. Chojun said he did a wee bit more work the end of 2011 - what I have is before that.

Practically speaking I can FTP the lot from my phone in 5 minutes or less so I don't get this protracted deal. At the same time I don't wanna speculate.

I guess I'll wait a bit and see if he responds and what he has to say... though I must confess to being tempted to UL what I have and be done with it... but, I will go about this in the proper fashion.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Just to make it official, I have not had a response to the email sent couple weeks ago. Don't expect to, at this point. Thus the last communication was from 7/13, almost 2 months ago, which I posted verbatim in this thread.

It is natural to wonder what happened to change the assurances of 2 months ago that this source would be released in short order.

After the first few days passed, I began to wonder what the heck.

Logically, I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities. I also determined that I could further narrow it down to just 1 with a little investigation. But I stopped myself from going any further. It just didn't seem right to go down that road. Felt icky to me. In RL this kind of stuff has no place in my circle of valued folk. On the rare occasion when I do come up against such I cut it off and put it me behind me. That's what I've done here.

I'm sorry it turned-out this way. Sorry for the wasted efforts of folks other than myself, like Safety Off.

I've been for the release of this source since the termination of the 2200 project and could never understand the hold up for years now other than an underlying vitriol going back to '04-'05 or a lingering hope to provide a viable alternative - or both.

As I far as can speculate, without doing that investigating, either this source will never surface at all or if it ultimately does, it won't be here. I could surely be wrong on both counts. However, based on some pattern recognition here and there, I'd put a modest bet on the later within a year and that it could possibly be presented as something else, to some degree or other.

But ultimately, such speculations are counter-productive, a waste of time and energy. So, it remains a mystery for now, that I for one, will gladly let go of. Life is short and precious. There is so much that is good to experience that this type BS is best relegated to a dust heap, IMHO.

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Release of Chojun's WZ Source Looks to be Aborted

Post by stiv »

Pity. It would have been interesting to see WZ integrated with a scene graph like Irrlicht (assuming I have the right forky thread here).

I still think something like that is a viable path to refactoring the graphics engine (unlike porting to directx and back to opengl again).
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

A sourceforge page was setup for this source release http://sourceforge.net/projects/visiraptor/ I do hope at some point it is released. Would hate to see WZ history lost... Would have been really nice to see how the pathfinding compares between 3.1 and Visiraptor.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

stiv wrote:Pity. It would have been interesting to see WZ integrated with a scene graph like Irrlicht (assuming I have the right forky thread here).

I still think something like that is a viable path to refactoring the graphics engine (unlike porting to directx and back to opengl again).
Pity indeed. Irrlicht it is... aka Visiraptor.
Lord Apocalypse wrote:A sourceforge page was setup for this source release http://sourceforge.net/projects/visiraptor/ I do hope at some point it is released. Would hate to see WZ history lost... Would have been really nice to see how the pathfinding compares between 3.1 and Visiraptor.
That SF acct. was set-up by Safety Off for the source we've been talking about in this thread as being imminently uploaded to an FTP account 2 months ago - which never happened. Chojun himself created a SF account some 4 years ago to do the same... That never happened either. Something of a pattern, eh?

Originway
Trained
Trained

Post by Originway »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wzredem ... =directory New scripting engine, new file structure, and fully skinable GUI are but a few things that will be headed your way.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/openwz/ ... =directory Warzone 2100 v1.10 with upgrades and new content.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegapr ... =directory

why do they make a new project when there are no files?