Warzone 2100 Lobby and GAME Savoir-faire

Discussions about AI types, units, tactics & strategy.
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Warzone 2100 Lobby and GAME Savoir-faire

Post by Merowingg »

The term Savoir-faire is also known as Savoir-vivre.

It is a term from the Franch language which indicate basic and more advanced descriptions of what is appropriate and what not in everyday life situations.

Here I refer to our lobby, place where we spend some time, and come across people from all over the world. Those are people of any age, I have met once a 10 years old boy, up to even over 60, a man who as I remember played with his wife.

The people in lobby will behave not only due to their age level but also the region of the word where they are.

People who we meet there may be in any mood, they may be happy because they have just won 10 games in a row, or sad, because they have lost 10 or something bad happened in "real" life.

So if someone is rude, you do not have to immediatelly kick him, or what even more often happens, swear at him and kick him. You can alway ask him to behave properly, and then if he continues in his inappropriate in any kind behaviour, kick him.

Also saying hello at the very beginning of the game, or in lobby when all players are in is seen as a very good thing. Isn't it obvious? you dont have to say hello whenever each player is entering the room, but when it is almost full, or full, it is good to greet. Saying GL, which means good luck, and HF which means have fun is the easiest way and not so involving to do while beginning the game.

Even if you have lost, saying GG which meand good game, will not kill you, do believe me.

If you see a beginning player, which you always take for granted from its nickname like "player", "spieler", "gracz" and so on. That person do not necessarily have to be a very beginner. It may be a person who has played for ten years, but he has just renewed his OS. Or a player who is too good, so he changed his nick into the beginners one, to have opportunity to play. In other case he would be probably kicked.

I do also realise there are players at a extremely different level of skill. So if you are preparing a beginners game, and a vell skilled player enters, before you imediatelly kick him, tell him, inform, Mr. X it is to be a beginners game please leave.. and wait few second, because if you kick him with the end of the sentence believe me he may not be able to see the message. The same if it is the veterans game, and a very beginner enters.

It is also not good to show off, how great you are because you have so many ranks and grades, do not say someone is bad just because he has the first medal and a star, or has the pacifier. If you are so excellent player, just show it in game.

Also give a chance to the beginners. I do know many of "epic players" has soemhow forgotten that they have ben beginning once. I remember very well my first multiplayer game here. I entered the lobby, and clicked on something, I saw people talking. I have heard the beginer and other words, then i realised all want to play and tell me to start the game! the best thing is I did not know how, so I remember what I have said "I love this game please tell me how to start?" the story is, those were not excellent players, but one of them was saying "do you see the square?" the best thing is at that moment all those tabs were squares for me. "do you see redy he asked?" and finally i clicked something and the game begun. I have no idea how it ended I remember I had enormous fun, but some people were saying i am terrible, it keep appearing in the chat window, which i didn't know how to join.. but which i have learned two games later on.

By this story I want to make you realise that if you give a chance to a player, it is the best thing you can do. Do you have to always win? if there us a worse player, teach him! if you are so good, protect him, teach him, and win the game. This is being skilled isn't it? Not only you do the basic things, you healp a player, and you teach him, a higher level of playing. I think if I was kicked or shauted at many times at that time, I would come back to this game, I wouldn't be here.

Think about it, the more of us is here, and the more friendly atmosphere is here, the better for us.

Dont think you are cool and so powerfull when you click the two mouse buttons, so simple isn't it? you are so strong! of course it is not true, think wise, talk with people explain.

If you are having a bad internet connection, and you do know you may happen to lose connection while playing, inform the host and others, they if more advanced players, may put you in such a place that if you do happen to lose they not necessarily will be at a lost position.

Also if something happens that you have to go out of the game being performed, tell that you are sorry, tell the reason, say good bye, and give your units to the players from your team. If someone has a limit, give it to the other player. Or if it happens that you cannot give them for any reason, send the units to the enemy, to give them the biggest damamge before you fail by leaving the game.

If you lose connection and enter again the same room, which was rehosted because you have lost the connection, say that you are sorry. Remember they rehosted because of you as you have probably left at the very beginning of the game.

Remember to make friends, talk with people, it is nicer than sitting silend and lookin at the room filling up. Tell people about our web page, our IRC channel. It is amazing but people do not realise about their existence for years.

Speak mainly in English, it is as we all know international language, most of people will understand what you mean when you use it.

If you have a question, a problem ask, if there is no answer ask again as, while in lobby and many people are talking it may simply got lost in the conversation. If it is during the game, the same situation, players may just not see it being involved in a battle or any task of their own.

If you drop a bacon, when with advanced players they will know what is it about just when looking at the place where the bacon was dropped, but if the less advanced players are playing, tell them what do you mean need. like look out! or protect this please, or go here please, protect me or any other.

If someone asks about something which is so obvious for you as the fact that sun sets at the west, do remember that person is asking because he does not know.. you dont have to say he is stupid, and ow he cannot know, just tell him what he wants, and if it made you very tired already send him to our webpage tips tab.

If someone does not help you when you need help, it not necessarily mean that he is selfish and stupid. He may have other priorities, he may consider you to be in lost situation anyway, he may not be skilled enough to do so, so throwing insult at such person is very inappropriate.

If something that you do not understand happens during the game, and the players reenter your lobby room after the previous game, there is no need to already kick the person who failed according to you, just asked what happened and why, and then judge.

I will be adding notes here whenever I recall some situations in our Lobby and Games.

I was inspired to do this post by an even which happened to me not long ago. I retuned to the Lobby and met the reality of what is happening there just by entering few hosting rooms. When I told about it my friends, one of them told me,
tmp[BDC]> Merowingg: u played this game long enough.... half of the folks playing dont even know what gentleman means ;)
Which made me realise that it is the sad truth. Tmp is speaking here about the "Gentlemen" word, because it is the word I use always when I host or join a game, and here on forum.

I got inspired and thanx to him I made this thread. I am very willing to hear your opinions and examples of appropriate behaviour in our community and what should not be done.

I will continue on updating the first post. I will also keep it going up from time to time.

Regards to you all.

Bye Gentlemen.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Re: Warzone 2100 Lobby and GAME Savoir-faire

Post by Merowingg »

Up we go as I consider it to be crucial here :)

Don't bump your own topics...so quickly, if people want to respond to it, they will.
Last edited by Staff on 26 Apr 2012, 02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't bump your own topics...if people want to respond to it, they will.
“Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof.” - V

"Mark my words boy, Mark them well, I have survived your predecessors and I will survive you." - Merovingian

Regards - Mero
Merowingg
Regular
Regular

Post by Merowingg »

Ok so now up we go ;) as it is very important, and there was quite a time :)

Regards - Mero
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Try to help weaker players by pointing them thing to improve. Specially when it's obivous like building the factories fast. They will improve faster that way. (at least some do, lol)

BTW mero, "savoir faire" and "savoir vivre" is 2 things totally different in french.

Savoir faire : mean "Knowing to do", it's about art and skill. It's about being able to craft/fix or repair. Much like the knowledge needed for a specific job.

Savoir vivre : mean "Knowing to live". That one is about good manners ;) .
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.