Hires original textures

Did you create a mod, map, music, or a tool? Present them here and earn feedback!
Note: addon requests do not belong here.
Note, everything uploaded to this forum, MUST have a license!
ouch
Trained
Trained

Hires original textures

Post by ouch »

http://www.rarhost.com/download-r0uguc.html

This is a hi res mod based on the original textures. They were purely resized (no fancy alograthim, just plain scaled) from 256X256 to 1024X1024 and then passed through a series of filters in gimp.

Most textures have been bump mapped a bit, while others were smoothed, but never blured.

here is some comparison textures:

Note that the 3 fireballs are showing the original, the converted, and what it would look like if I just simply blured them. The rest are before (left) and after samples. (right)

The lightning bolt after shot looks a lot better than that, it's just this image doesn't support tranparency effects so it looks a bit mental...

Yes I realise grims mod looks a lot better, but this one brings back more memories... ;)
Attachments
hirescompare.png
hirescompare.png (52.47 KiB) Viewed 8542 times
Last edited by ouch on 18 Nov 2007, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Hires original textures

Post by Rman Virgil »

--------->

* Hi Ouch.

* Is it possible for you to do a close-up screen cap of a cyborg, in -game ? Curious to see the "after" as the "befores" have looked like total crap since day one.

* And that .rar is it for the XP WRP distro ? Or what is it exactly ?

- Thanks, RV :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

.rar is like .zip but only better in almost every way. (heh, no seriously, it has better compression and decompresses faster, hundreds more features supported in the format than zip, etc...)

you can get it free here:

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

or read more about it here:

http://www.rarlab.com/

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR_(file_format)

I'll get that screenshot in a sec... here ya go: (as a side note: something really should be done about that transparency and shadow evilness...)
Attachments
cyborgshires.png
Last edited by ouch on 19 Nov 2007, 02:21, edited 1 time in total.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

ouch wrote: .rar is like .zip but only better in almost every way. (heh, no seriously, it has better compression and decompresses faster, hundreds more features supported in the format than zip, etc...)

you can get it free here:

http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar371.exe

or read more about it here:

http://www.rarlab.com/

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR_(file_format)

I'll get that screenshot in a sec... here ya go: (as a side note: something really should be done about that transparency and shadow evilness...)
* Sorry, I meant what was inside the .rar archive (Coyote got me to switch from .zips 'bout 4 years ago.) :)

-Thanks, RV :D

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Thanks for the contribution! I'll have a look at your textures. Did you make real bump maps for these textures, though? If so, I'd love the experiment with them to see if we can add support for that.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

no but I can make real bumpmaps for them easily. (they will look tons better as well.)

and Rman the file inside is a standard .wz mod archive. the website I uploaded the file too just does .rar files. As such it allows you view the contents of the archive before downloading.

heres the real bumpmap for you to work off of.
Attachments
page-16-droid drives-bump.png
Last edited by ouch on 19 Nov 2007, 02:11, edited 1 time in total.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I checked out the scaled up versions, and I am sorry to say that I did not like many of them. The blur from linear filtering goes a long way to hide the fact that the original textures are very low detail, and the bump map filter used on these new textures make the low res pixels stand out horribly. The game speed also dropped considerably.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

there was no bluring asside from the occasional pixelize filter with fire, plasma, electrical bolts, etc...

what your seeing is probably the relentless mipmap engine currently implimented blurring the crap out of everything not very close to the camera...
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

------>

* Was that a quadruple ouch ! I just read ?  ???

* I mean like 1st an ouch-ouch... >:( >:(

* Followed by a come-back ouch-ouch .. >:( >:(

* Wait.... there was another Ouch.... so that would make it quintuplets - wouldn't it ?  :o

- RV  :P

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

ouch wrote: there was no bluring asside from the occasional pixelize filter with fire, plasma, electrical bolts, etc...

what your seeing is probably the relentless mipmap engine currently implimented blurring the crap out of everything not very close to the camera...
I think you misunderstand. I like the current blurring done by OpenGL during filtering better than I like the bump-map filters that you applied to the enlarged textures. The latter made the pixelation and low-res-ness of the original textures too strikingly obvious.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

-------->

* In other words, to make a long story short, there's no way around it.

* The only way WZs GFX are gonna notably improve (approaching present day benchmarks) is if they are re-done entirely.... along with the renderer.

- RV :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
ouch
Trained
Trained

Post by ouch »

Rman Virgil wrote: ------>

* Was that a quadruple ouch ! I just read ?  ???

* I mean like 1st an ouch-ouch... >:( >:(

* Followed by a come-back ouch-ouch .. >:( >:(

* Wait.... there was another Ouch.... so that would make it quintuplets - wouldn't it ?  :o

- RV   :P
umm... what are you talking about?
Per wrote: I think you misunderstand. I like the current blurring done by OpenGL during filtering better than I like the bump-map filters that you applied to the enlarged textures. The latter made the pixelation and low-res-ness of the original textures too strikingly obvious.
yes, as rman said, there isn't much you can do about that. If your looking for UT3 crispness then take another puff cause it's not going to happen anytime soon. ;)

what I was able to do was to pass the textures through more filters and got ok, but not outstanding results. The problem is the original textures are at such a low resolution they get easily destroyed by just about anything you do to them. This method works fine for large textures, but looks strange on the smaller, more intricate textures. The attatched image shows the before and after.
Attachments
towers.png
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

----------->

* Sorry, ouch, it was just my little dumbass joke (a play on words) 'bout the figurative sting of slings & arrows.

* To explain means it was a failed attempt at humor. Alas, the deafining silence of a stand-up comic, what could be more humbling. (Lots of things but it's time to exit stage left, don't ya know...)

- l8r, rv :)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

ouch wrote: what I was able to do was to pass the textures through more filters and got ok, but not outstanding results. The problem is the original textures are at such a low resolution they get easily destroyed by just about anything you do to them. This method works fine for large textures, but looks strange on the smaller, more intricate textures. The attatched image shows the before and after.
I guess it also depends on what resolution you play.
It can look better/worse depending on that.

The only way to get true hires textures is for someone to recreate them all again.
Using filters is only good for short term, and even then not everyone would like it.

**BUT**  the nice thing now is, you can just make a mod out of all the textures you change, and voilla, anyone can try them out.
So feel free to do what you are doing, make a mod out of them, and release them.

Then you can get more feedback that way.
and it ends here.