Drop the ingame-menu.

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Drop the ingame-menu.

Post by Kamaze »

What would you say about dropping the 'Ingame-Menus' and start Skirimish etc... over a 'starter'.

- First, there would be no need to edit/understand the *afaik* hard GUI code. (which is hard to change)
- Second, Things like multiplayer browser and screen/game settings can easiely changed/added trough/to the starter.

Maybe with some other features too.

:)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
rush2049
Trained
Trained

Re: Drop the ingame-menu.

Post by rush2049 »

I wouldn't be against it, if it could load the game up as fast or faster...

and would the 'starter' be just a menu system and/or would it include skirmish settings and such also...

and would it be full screen?
System:AMD Phenom II x6 1055T @3.511ghz, 8GB DDR3 @1672.2mhz 9-9-9-24, Geforce GTX 275
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

I thought, a normal 'utility'.
Maybe with wxWidgets etc... (over c++ or python...)
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

We obviously have troubles with the GUI, but I think dropping the menu completely would be a too unorthodox approach.

On the other hand I can imagine a little utility for AI selection, even if a temporary solution, I can't think of a better one at the moment.
?topic=1617.0
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

This 'starter' could mbe very handy.

- Mod Management
- Savegame Manager
- Advanced Skirimish Setup (maybe with more skirimish options?)
- Multiplayer browser (starter)
- Options Setup (Resolution, shadows, fullscreen, debug ...)

I say, it would be very hard and need much time to 'imprt' this in the game GUI.
So...
Suprano
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suprano »

But it is already planed to rework the GUI afaik (at least it is in the TODO).. it just take its time..

--Ano
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Reworking of the guy will definitely be done...

What you said, Kamaze, sounds like the starter for Morrowind (if someone knows that game). You could choose the modules and plugins with it, do some basic configuration (more than our current ingame menus can do now).

If someone would do that I'd recommend Qt4, best toolkit on earth. ;) (And certainly the best documented one.)

Some info on the GUI rewrite task:
The guy who wanted to do it left silently, I bet he was scared by the code. :P
So it seems like we need to find a GUI library again. (I'll have another look at CEGUI, but probably there are more libs.)
Requirements I have to such a GUI engine (self written or external library):
- Easily scriptable with our scripting engine
- Needs to support buttons, textfields (w / w/o scrollbars), custom fields so we can display the build menu, etc (w / w/o scrollbars), something like tab behaviour (unit design), dropdown boxes, select boxes ("OR" boxes), checkboxes ("AND" boxes), images, custom views (for displaying ingame engine scenes in a tv-like box), multiple, placeble widgets (map, build menus, ...), skins from texturepages (and self drawn lines and boxes?), highlighting / blinking of widgets (for the tutorial and notifications)
- Easily creatable using theme (or style, or whatever you want to name them) files, with which you can create a GUI as easy as HTML (not HTML or XML itself).
- Those theme files must provide hooks for the scripting engine by definition. Means every widget _must_ have an ID.
- ? Links so you can do easy transition from one widget to another with simple theme files ? Like easy JS or ?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

ok troman - time to pull that ol dusty wzs out of the closet and make a nice new one that can do what we need... the old one certainly did that. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

You know, lav_coyote25, the sad thing is that Warzone Starter runs only under windows. I can adapt it to work with WZ:R but not under linux or mac.
?topic=1617.0