versions

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
zany
Trained
Trained

versions

Post by zany »

why is it http://www.moddb.com/games/ntw and 2.3.9 play fine and the new master keeps breaking things?
first they break fps by using that bullshit qt even when they were told not to do that and now when that finally fixed after months they still have bugs that are not in http://www.moddb.com/games/ntw or 2.3.9?
if not broke then why they keep messing with it?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: versions

Post by Per »

Then keep playing 2.3.9, dude...
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Also, the "new master" is a development version. If you find issues playing follow the guide lines here for reporting them: http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/BugReporting
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

zany wrote:why is it http://www.moddb.com/games/ntw and 2.3.9 play fine and the new master keeps breaking things?
first they break fps by using that crap qt even when they were told not to do that and now when that finally fixed after months they still have bugs that are not in http://www.moddb.com/games/ntw or 2.3.9?
if not broke then why they keep messing with it?

if your such an expert, why havent i seen any thing from you?? unless you provide immediately some form of gameplay that is warzone 2100 or its equal, then your just so much noise and annoyance. if you can not help perfect the game. then please go elsewhere. i would rather see your attempt at coding... but, have seen nothing from you since i first asked. which just goes to show your true intentions. as for things being broke - how else do you make something better with out experimentation? :annoyed:
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

snobbism :| Could developers be more friendly for "noobs"?
why player cannot ask developers for anything?

we play WZ because we like gameplay, not graphics.
all what i'm see in master improved - is graphics.

so i think all players (not devs) will be happy if devs will improve 2.3.9, removing some small bugs
even if we got stable master version, some players will keep playing 2.3.9 because it have lesser PC requirements
also 2.3.9 smoother, for me old synch algorithm is better.
Cyp
Evitcani
Evitcani

Post by Cyp »

Reg312 wrote:, for me old synch algorithm is better.
:shock:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Yeah, a delay of two minutes between different computers is certainly better =/
Reg312
Regular
Regular

Post by Reg312 »

2.3.9: 50% games without any delays/desynch
master: 100% games with small delay every second
last game i've played on master was game 4/4 and it was laggy much more than any 4/4 game i've seen in 2.3.9

2.3.9: for example, i play 10 minutes smooth, then wait 2 minute fo synch (or game crash due to bugs in synch)
master: i play 10 minutes with hundreds of small waits

2.3.9 game fps always stable
master: delays makes game like slide show or like 100 mini-movies :)

Sorry, may be i'm testing master too rare to say certain
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

2.3.9: in 100% of games you never know where any of your unit is going and wether it is already dead. You can't micromanage at all, and you can't even consider weapon range to be an important aspect of the game. The whole game is pure gambling.
master: in 100% of games you always know exactly where your all your units are located and what order they execute.

Enough for me, i wouldn't even mention the horrible desynchs and freezes of 2.3.9, cause they're the least part of the problem.
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

There was a screen shot I saw that showed a truck building from halfway across the map because of a desync, and that's better than master how?
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I don't really value the new render, either. It looks nice, but really, it's so much better imo to feel small lags in master instead of having crashes/freezes/random explosions in 2.3.9. Aside from pathfinding, that's the only obvious thing keeping the current master from running "well enough" for me. I assume in the end avoiding the small lags will come down to being more particular about pings/quality of other players connections.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

I feel the need to write a summary of things brought up in this thread:
-We (the devs) might look a bit snobbish to some, since we pretty much do what we feel like, however:
-We have no obligations towards anyone, this is an open-source project which we work on only due to our own interests
-While we don't always share each other's opinions, we still try to cooperate because we depend on each other to keep the project alive. However, we still retain the right to do precisely whatever we want.

-Most people who know anything about coding realize the difference between the stable(2.3.9) and the development(master) version, i.e. you are allowed to break things in master and it's nothing to be upset about. Rather than that, one is simply expected to report the encountered bugs.
-For those that don't care about new stuff and only want to play the game without contributing, there is 2.3.9
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

NoQ wrote:2.3.9: in 100% of games you never know where any of your unit is going and wether it is already dead. You can't micromanage at all, and you can't even consider weapon range to be an important aspect of the game. The whole game is pure gambling.
master: in 100% of games you always know exactly where your all your units are located and what order they execute.

Enough for me, i wouldn't even mention the horrible desynchs and freezes of 2.3.9, cause they're the least part of the problem.
I think this is exactly an argument for what reg312 is pointing out. THERE IS easy known fixes to do that would dramaticaly increase the synch in 2.3.9 . They just dont want those issues to be solved at all.
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Maybe they think that the way to solve those issues is how it was done in master. Which by the way has gotten a lot of cleanup not in 2.3, due to that being a stable branch that has been branched about three years ago, and so is much nicer to work with.
We want information... information... information.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

:shakehead:

I think you guys have it wrong.
The only thing the devs have ever wanted is to make Warzone 2100 better.
While we may not all agree on what is the best way to make this happen, we do go out of our way to help others get up to speed, and tell people why things are the way they are.

We don't have any full time people working on Warzone, and we just contribute as we have time.
With so little man power, bitching and moaning isn't helpful at all.

The "Master" builds are the future, and everything else is not.
There is no possible way we can support multiple versions of the game, and to start over again from the old stable just isn't a option. There are just too many changes that were made, and not enough time/people to help out.
Starting again from scratch would take a hellishly long time.

There are zero fixes that will eliminate all the desyncs in any version of warzone besides what was implemented in the current master. We have tried all the fixes that we could think of, and in the end, they didn't make any real difference, desyncs are just the way of life for any version of the game besides Master builds.

If you really think that you know what is best, then feel free to fork off whatever version you want, and start up your own forums / servers and everything that goes along with that. It isn't exactly easy, and most all the projects that have tried this before failed.
This isn't meant to be mean, this is reality.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.