Obj2Pie User Interface

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Re: Obj2Pie User Interface

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg wrote:As far as connectors are concerned I can edit all by hand in gedit I know this is old school but it works!
I create connectors manually also, but it takes a lot of time which I can spend on creating models or textures. :(
I have been using obj2pie all the time and I noticed you guys at AR dont have the ability to make PIE 2 format so I thought I would learn python along the way..
Yeah, we don't need pie2 models anymore since 2.3.* has fallen into the "feature locked" state..
The time I spend on things is my time and if Im wasting it so what..I do remember being consitantly told Im wasting my time I think I need to tell you that all the models in trunk have tcmask because I wasted my time on it ..the new walls in trunk was some more time wasting by me
Sorry, I didn't want to force you on something, I just talk from position "what is very important at the current moment for the project in my own understanding". So, the support of pie2 format isn't that important I think..
..and lastly there is a project called wzgm that I also waste my time on you are more then welcome to waste time there to..
I did never understand why did you create this project while you could actually just make patches and test builds which we could test on and find what is fine and what should be removed or improved. Thank you for invite but I don't encourage the splitting of resurrection project into a small unpopular projects. We have lack of manpower and splitting will not help us.. :|
You prolly do not know that I have given Safety0ff a lot of help with WMIT and helped to dev it to the stage its at now with testing for him..
Ya, I didn't know, but currently WMIT is greatly updated by i-NoD from earlier alpha stage into the good beta... :) we just need connectors support and WMIT can go into the RC stage.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:Thank you for invite but I don't encourage the splitting of resurrection project into a small unpopular projects

Well Im glad you pointed this out..
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

It was just a statement of fact, I don't want to offend you or something, as time passes we see that no one wants to work on wzgm, so I think that If all changes you did were saved in tickets in project resurrection "database", probably they could be found by people who would like 'em and probably they(your imrovements) could be finished and committed. You know, this site and its forum is the center of all what is happening with wz2100. :-)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote: I don't want to offend you or something
Im glad you pointed that out also

Your avatar is slightly offensive

Thought I should point that out
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg wrote:Your avatar is slightly offensive

Thought I should point that out
Lol, It's the Mr.Freeman... the Russian cartoon character, his short movies are the virus-advertising. You can see here the English version of 1st movie. :)
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

cartoon character
Well, this guy *is* pretty offensive (:
Jorzi
Regular
Regular

Post by Jorzi »

About the pie2 vs pie3 discussion: While pie3 is obviously the superior format, I can still see that people may want to make 2.3-compatible versions of their mods, since it is still the only version which doesn't require an opengl2-compatible graphics card.
So besides being a good python exercise, this tool will also cover the niche in question.
Haven't tried it, but it looks pretty good. Obj2pie is very hard to use on its own (no one wants to remember all the arguments)
ImageImage
-insert deep philosophical statement here-
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Jorzi wrote:Obj2pie is very hard to use on its own (no one wants to remember all the arguments)
It has been pointed out the error of doing anything.

Im glad you pointed that out
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Screenshot-pygame window.png
Just a little update Im wasting more time on a obj viewer.. I think it has potential..
I can load obj and with my other method i can convert them to pie
more updates to come
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

Obj2pie is very hard to use on its own (no one wants to remember all the arguments)
Indeed. Someone should make a GUI interface for it.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

nice obj viewer. I've been whining for one for mesher work to no avail. Looks to be coming along nicely so far :)
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

objpieconverter.png
I have been a little stuck with opengl and the 3d viewer so I moved away from a pre compiled C obj2pie and made a converter in Python so no need to compile it just run it in your console you need to have python installed

If you feel like modifying this script go for it..

license CC By Berg

Just a few instructions Make sure you pick all your files before converting to either pie 2 or pie 3
Make sure you set your slider scale for adjusting the size.
Lastly you will need to restart the converter program on each convert I have to work out how to empty tuple's out.

If you dont mind adding python to your PC or you already have it you can convert obj to pie2 and pie3 format it does not do levels

Code: Select all

file removed bug fixes in progress
Boris
Trained
Trained

Post by Boris »

im using notepad++ manuel connvert obj to pie,,that is fast way,,and work with most 3d programs ,but texture still stay to same.you need only create tex(vertex) editor ,,if you can(idea)..
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Little late but update to converter in python.

This is a simple object to pie format converter it does pie3 and pie2 format.
Remember you need python to run this and the ktinter lib this also a python addon so can show the GUI

If some one wants to make it run on windows with a exe or enhance it feel free just add me name to the code some place.
moo.png
Attachments
pythonobj2pie.tar.gz
(3.26 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Andrie
Regular
Regular

Post by Andrie »

How do I change pie to a obj?
"My IRC en multiplay naam is Andrie"

Groete Andrie