Obj2Pie User Interface

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Obj2Pie User Interface

Post by Berg »

https://sourceforge.net/apps/phpbb/wzgr ... 4&p=71#p71

just an attempt in python Works in ubuntu i dont know about other platforms.

Regards Berg
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Re: Obj2Pie User Interface

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

does it use the obj+mtl files or just an exported obj?
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:does it use the obj+mtl files or just an exported obj?
It only needs to import the obj file and it will export a pie file in pie 2 and pie 3 format .

I have been working on a windows version but i may need help with that

I have uploaded windows semi compatible files.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wzgraph ... j2pie-win/

and a changed the linux version slightly to have variables that describe there use.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wzgraph ... s/obj2pie/

I will be changing these if some one helps out with the win version

Regards Berg
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Should work in windows as well provided the user has python installed. What version of python are you using? Have you tried py2exe?

Heres the python frontend for a C++ based obj to xxx format converter for Vega Strike Unit Converter SVN browse
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

I have not tried to do much for windows in python This is my second Python program the first being an IRC bot that talks with espeak.

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Should work in windows as well provided the user has python installed. What version of python are you using? Have you tried py2exe?
And yes you are correct the windows users will have to install python for this user interface to work.

python 2.6 on my idleImage
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

What do you use that is linux specific anyway? Also, if you do any C++ coding take a look at the mesher code or get a coder to, might be a half decent template to use building up a new tool
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:What do you use that is linux specific anyway?
In the linux folder If you look at the obj2pie.c i have compiled it on Ubuntu for those that have Ubuntu and also the pbj2pie.c file is there they can compile it if they have a diff linux os

The windows Python script has some issues with PATH as I dont know much about windows I just put a variable that the users can modify to make it work on windows also there is a pre compiled windows obj2pie.exe That the path variable has to point too.

I maybe doin this the hard way but its working sorta.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Berg, we have WMIT tool, it already supports the almost all latest features. Pls, don't spend your time for nothing... It would be better if you will help i-NoD and Safety0ff complete the program.

The most important thing that we(artists) need is ability to add, move and save connectors into the pie3 format.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

MaNGusT wrote:Berg, we have WMIT tool, it already supports the almost all latest features. Pls, don't spend your time for nothing... It would be better if you will help i-NoD and Safety0ff complete the program.

The most important thing that we(artists) need is ability to add, move and save connectors into the pie3 format.
As far as connectors are concerned I can edit all by hand in gedit I know this is old school but it works!

I have been using obj2pie all the time and I noticed you guys at AR dont have the ability to make PIE 2 format so I thought I would learn python along the way..

The time I spend on things is my time and if Im wasting it so what..I do remember being consitantly told Im wasting my time I think I need to tell you that all the models in trunk have tcmask because I wasted my time on it ..the new walls in trunk was some more time wasting by me ..and lastly there is a project called wzgm that I also waste my time on you are more then welcome to waste time there to..

You prolly do not know that I have given Safety0ff a lot of help with WMIT and helped to dev it to the stage its at now with testing for him..
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:What do you use that is linux specific anyway? Also, if you do any C++ coding take a look at the mesher code or get a coder to, might be a half decent template to use building up a new tool
There is some interesting snippets in that lot to tantalise the brain box..thank you

Regards Berg
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

Apoc always knows how to get people using those neurons. :D
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

I do try :) As for the VS mesher app, I am going to (eventually) add a gui frontend to it in Qt. At some point the mesher app will be turned into a library so that it can either be compiled as a console app or as part of the Qt gui app. I don't think mesher uses python directly but I know unit converter was written in python and currently is the only gui frontend to it. My main concerned with giving out the link is how messy the code might be. Sounds like its not *that* messy though and not as difficult to follow as I had feared.

Under masters (in trunk) you will find copies of blend and obj files you can test with mesher if you want to run it through a debugger to see the app in action. If not.. go under /data/units/vessels and pick any ship. Unit converter will also alow for changes the native bfxm back to obj+mtl.

Now.. as far as the windows path.. Are you refering to the python path or WZ path? Python should modify the path itself.. I think. I can run unit converter just fine with a normal python install.

As for the path to WZ... you have one of 3 choices. Let the user supply the path and create an ini, install directly to the WZ directory, or pull the information from the windows registry (provided WZ puts that info in the registery). Unit converter follows the first.
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

The first was my choice too I have since left it up to the user to supply path..

Im sorry But I rampaged through the VS repo I have downloaded a few things to use as examples for code ideas..
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

hmm.. wonder if that rampage actually improved the VS code mess in /vegastrike/src You might claw your eyes out in that place.

Anyway, i'll be around to slap you on the head from time to time and check on your progress. Get stumped and i'll see if I can't help you get whatever it is figured out. Or at least give you enough ideas to figure it out...
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:you get whatever it is figured out. Or at least give you enough ideas to figure it out...
Yes thanks I found the .sh file for running in linux and the bat for windows very informative..simple but tidy.
And Im happy now to leave the path problem to the user they run windows after all...

Regards Berg