New FMV how important is this to the community?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Serman
Trained
Trained

Re: New FMV how important is this to the community?

Post by Serman »

I was really disappointed when i found out the FMV's aren't in the game.

Usually, after the First Campaign in the Desert, the other two are boring as hell to me.

Without FMV's in them, i would be bored, and just press let me win all the time to skip boring, long missions.

Beta Campaigns, and Gamma Campaigns are way too long, boring, and tedious. Without FMV's you really have nothing to look forward to after each one.
wardog
Greenhorn

Post by wardog »

it also helps make an intresting storyline lets face it no one likes to play a game without a story that would just be dull
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

Have you read http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=741.0? To me of course, the single player version is just about useless without them. As I mentioned in the post above, I think alot of people who find the reviews of Warzone and read about an immersive storyline search, find wz2100.net, download, play single player, are turned off and delete it without ever trying MP or giving the game a second thought. In a nutshell if we want to get more people into this very old but king of RTS's we need to recruit and WZ missing the FMV's is a disservice to the game, as great as it is. It's a huge eyesore and nobody wants to see that.

Greatness of Game=Good=Recruit to keeping WZ alive...
Recruit=Preserve
Preserve=Good
INTEL PENTIUM4 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
2GB DUAL DDR PC3200 SDRAM
RADEON X1600 512MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OPERATING SYSTEM
Ryo
Trained
Trained

Post by Ryo »

Think the importance is something between super, mega, hyper and UBER! Told some old WZ-Friends of this project and all of them throw it away because of the missing FMV's
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I agree with all of you here.

Also let me put my two cents in by saying that the legal issues surrounding the FMVs are moot.

They are moot.

Let me say it again, they are moot.

Just one more time for effect:  The legal issues are moot.

Also:  The dev. project will not get taken down, nor anyone sued.  The issues are moot.

Anyone who has talent in the direction of creating new FMVs should instead put their talent toward developing new models, or updating the current ones.  WZ2100 needs a graphics overhaul.  Let the FMVs be and post them for download.
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
J.Vaughan
Trained
Trained

Post by J.Vaughan »

We can only thank the dev's here and by joining these forums we have to respect their morals and accept their terms of agreement. In terms of the overhaul I know its in progress but just how much can the engine handle grim? It certainly can't be anything we throw at it! Then again, when resurrection added shadows I was amazed...
INTEL PENTIUM4 2.66GHZ PROCESSOR
2GB DUAL DDR PC3200 SDRAM
RADEON X1600 512MB AGP GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION SP2 OPERATING SYSTEM
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

GrimMoroe wrote: Well as it stands right now I am pretty busy with tutorials and tiesets and models but I am thinking about doing new 3d animated FMVs for wz. The biggest thing I will need to find some people to do sounds/music for them. First I want to see how many people are really interested in this before I commit to that amount of work.  ;)
  You could count on me to make simple sound effects (like, for example, the zooming map sounds, briefing commences sound etc.)

The thing I miss the most is the maps, because they're the most informattive thing on FMVs.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

And I feel cheated when the briefing says "Destroy enemy forces at this location and recover any artefacts" and "this location" isn't shown ;D
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Especially in the 3rd Sector, when it's the richest in storyline. :(
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Chojun wrote: Also let me put my two cents in by saying that the legal issues surrounding the FMVs are moot.
Also:  The dev. project will not get taken down, nor anyone sued.  The issues are moot.

Anyone who has talent in the direction of creating new FMVs should instead put their talent toward developing new models, or updating the current ones.  WZ2100 needs a graphics overhaul.  Let the FMVs be and post them for download.
We will not, and shall not provide the FMVs through this project. First and foremost because warzone would _not_ be Free software then. This would also prevent Warzone from being included into multiple GNU/Linux distributions because of the involved licensing issues.

If anyone else would want to provide these FMVs for themselves we won't object to it. Just don't involve us in this potential copyright violation (yes I think that law sucks, that doesn't mean I'll abondan my priniciples on FOSS and break this law).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh