Long term skirmishes - player immersion

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Re: Long term skirmishes - player immersion

Post by commondragon »

why would I have to?  :o

Besides I dobut any of the devs will work on this. Its a just in case thing :p. Basicly cuz it makes a whole new game mode thats mostly MMORTS style, in a small way >_>
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

commondragon wrote: why would I have to?  :o

Besides I dobut any of the devs will work on this. Its a just in case thing :p. Basicly cuz it makes a whole new game mode thats mostly MMORTS style, in a small way >_>
Developing a combination of an MMORPG and RTS game has always been my greatest dream (for game development then) since I was about 12. But frankly I don't think Warzone's codebase will be easy to make one out of it.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Post by commondragon »

Giel wrote: Developing a combination of an MMORPG and RTS game has always been my greatest dream (for game development then) since I was about 12. But frankly I don't think Warzone's codebase will be easy to make one out of it.
A: I would like to play one were u made buildings. All the ones I see are basicly crappy pieces of non-building stuff crap.
B: I was thinking something like that would be the case :3
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

commondragon wrote: A: I would like to play one were u made buildings. All the ones I see are basicly crappy pieces of non-building stuff crap.
Seems we're going entirely offtopic here, ..., ah well.
[offtopic]
Well I was thinking along the lines that when a player would start they would have close to no currency. They'd have to gather money/gold/whatever to be able to eventually build themselves a house of some sorts. Then eventually I would like to make it possible for people to actually build their own fortress with huge walls surrounding vast areas of ground. Anyway, just dreaming here, haven't come to anything very much concrete yet.
[/offtopic]
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hehehehe... I can't fetch what I've got in mind for RTS in an entire 50 paged 15 lined posts topic. Mind you, I've started to create some RTS game and I'm looking for programmer. The guy will go crazy, sure of it. I just can't find him, unfortunately. (I've said that cuz looks like it's off-topic time :D) anyone interested should send an e-mail to [email protected] asking about "Human War, First".

Now, let's see... how hard would it be to script in win/lose accounting system and triggers for players to play the final mission or another regular one in case of draw?
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

being ive been thrown offline for a great deal of t ime due to LAN failure >.<

a FPS setting for WZ woudlent be that difficult nor too far off the basics of it.. just click a unit.. press the space bar an your already almost in a FPS view already.. just make it where you can single handedly control that single unit fromt hat view using typical fps controls instead of mouse clicks.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DFStormbringer wrote: a FPS setting for WZ woudlent be that difficult nor too far off the basics of it.. just click a unit.. press the space bar an your already almost in a FPS view already.. just make it where you can single handedly control that single unit fromt hat view using typical fps controls instead of mouse clicks.
Erm, ..., you do realize an FPS game is rather different from an RTS one?

Btw, considering that you say it wouldn't be difficult to do I suggest you start working. This since I assume it is you who wouldn't find that difficult to implement. I know I would find it difficult to do so.

Don't take me wrong though, I don't mind feature requests. But as soon as you start speaking about difficulty of implementation, you should either have the evidence to back it up, or implement it yourself. Or, if that's the case, just state clearly that you _think_, that it wouldn't have to be difficult to implement, not that isn't difficult to do so.
Deathguise
Trained
Trained

Post by Deathguise »

DFStormbringer wrote:a FPS setting for WZ woudlent be that difficult nor too far off the basics of it.. just click a unit.. press the space bar an your already almost in a FPS view already.. just make it where you can single handedly control that single unit fromt hat view using typical fps controls instead of mouse clicks.
The Playstation version of warzone had a similar feature to what you mention, pressing triangle on a selected unit took you into a battle view (similar to the space view) where you could drive around and select targets to fire at or repair.

I dont remember whether you could directly control vtols but i believe it was possible to assign units to a commander then control the commander and designate targets for the assigned units, It was actually quite fun to control a commander during away missions when you dont have to worry so much about your base.
"Abandon All Hope" - Chiggy von Richthofen
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

You couldnt drive VTOLs, just watch them overheads. and, as you've said, at drive mode you assign  targets to vehicles, you don't shoot the cannon yourself. Then, the drive camera is nothing more than a mode where you control your units by the four directional buttons and have your face right onto the battlefield. It's cool to drive them at the start of the game, but later on it just works good if you are driving artillery with a commander at your control. And it didn't allow you to see the battlefield as commander, wich is the feature that make RTS.

Alright, about the point of view itself, there's already one in WZ2100. But what about the weapons? How would you make it work so that when you click, the weapons fire? What about balancing those weapons? Targeting? Friendly fire? hills? commanders? vtols? Apart from that, for the game to look good from driver's point of view, the map would have to be more detailed, because, the way it is, it is for RTS bird eye point of view. And for you to hide from bullets behind something the whole line of fire would have to be calculated for the game to understad that that cannonball hit that car and not you.

I think it would be very hard. And it's already hard to imagine.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

line of fire is ALREADY a problem as bullets go through terain... which is actually collision detection..

and ive already admitted countless times that i cant program.. and seems every time i open my mouth i just piss someone off.. so ill just shut up from now on.

forget i even ever mentioned the idea
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-