Map-mod support!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Map-mod support!

Post by Zarel »

So, yeah. I'm guessing most of you know about map-mods. If not, here's a summary: They make Warzone crash when you try to join an MP game, and they install their mod onto every map you have whether you like it or not.

This patch adds proper support for map-mods. Not only are these two bugs fixed, but map-mods are supported properly, now, so you can have maps with embedded tilesets, maps with new tech trees, whatever you want. And you can test mods by bundling them inside a map and hosting it, no need to tell your testers to download your mod anymore!

http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/2610
https://github.com/Zarel/warzone2100/co ... pmodloader

Comments?
NoQ
Special
Special

Re: Map-mod support!

Post by NoQ »

Here we go making maps with embedded viruses! :nexus_laugh:
Great great great great great! Mmm ... what other sort of comments do you expect? I'm especially glad about textures; custom features should be possible as well (?) I had a dream of making a rockies map with white urban-like buildings on it ... :roll:
BunkerBlaster
Trained
Trained

Post by BunkerBlaster »

Very very nice. A solution for the games biggest annoyance. I hope this is implemented.
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

YES!!! thank you
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Merged into master.
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

Nice, Zarel! :)
Zarel wrote:This patch adds proper support for map-mods. Not only are these two bugs fixed, but map-mods are supported properly, now, so you can have maps with embedded tilesets, maps with new tech trees, whatever you want. And you can test mods by bundling them inside a map and hosting it, no need to tell your testers to download your mod anymore!
This will have to do until we get these 2 FPIs:
-Choosing from AIs and mods on the game start screen
-Send mods the same way maps are sent

Of course, even after we get those, the custom tileset support would still be very useful. :)
Goth Zagog-Thou
Regular
Regular

Post by Goth Zagog-Thou »

I assume that the custom tilesets will be in /texpages/tertilesxxx/subfolders in the mod structure?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

For 2.3, see e.g. the Ariza or Aurora maps. A full master tileset is ~30 MB though, which is too large to up/download for people with slow connections.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

But when just a few textures need to be adjusted, the map size becomes sensible (unlike old times, where we had to include a full set of tiles anyway, unless we're making a bad map-mod). It is also possible to add a few effects by making custom decals, which are even smaller.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

If I understand correctly this should allow map makers to include scripts that prevent rushing.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

Safety0ff wrote:If I understand correctly this should allow map makers to include scripts that prevent rushing.
Maybe even turning VTOL into ground units, and turning all turrets into howitzers.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
Iluvalar
Regular
Regular

Post by Iluvalar »

Safety0ff wrote:If I understand correctly this should allow map makers to include scripts that prevent rushing.
I have a mod called toughtruckV02 to softly discourage truck rushing on small map. I'll also show people how to change the starting power. If you have another idea that is actually modable like giving wheels only at T2 ^^ (even if i feel that rushing is really part of the game, and we should not do that) I am volonteer to give a try and make the mod. ~~~~
Heretic 2.3 improver and proud of it.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Preternatural wrote:what would be great is some sort of icon in the lobby to indicate whether a map includes a mod or whether it is a vanilla map. (similar to no vtol, no cyborg icons)
+1 :)
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

cybersphinx wrote:For 2.3, see e.g. the Ariza or Aurora maps. A full master tileset is ~30 MB though, which is too large to up/download for people with slow connections.
+1
my speed is limited to 30 kbps, 30MB files could take up to 15 to 20 minutes, they'll kick me instead of waiting :(
Preternatural wrote:what would be great is some sort of icon in the lobby to indicate whether a map includes a mod or whether it is a vanilla map. (similar to no vtol, no cyborg icons)
+2 :)