Ideas from a veteran noobie :P

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Ideas from a veteran noobie :P

Post by DFStormbringer »

First post.. just found the place so havent had time to rea over everything.. but i will asure that.

First off id like to give a shout out to Lav Coyote.. havent seen you in YEARS man.. not scince the old "official WZ forums" before they died.. glad to have found this place and see that things are still moving.

Downloaded and played a few rounds of the new WZ.. and yes before im even reading through the other posts to see whats been posted.. im making my comments becuase they are fresh in my head.  So if some are repeats.. my appologies.

1) Sound errors, I have yet to repliate it but 4 hours into a massive game i was doign research and the picking screen got lagged for a moment.. then for the rest of the game the wounds were only hitting out at 50% alternating between either playing ONLY effects sounds like building and repair.. or only weapon effects... not both.. a restart fixed the error.

2) Grims Graphics mod.. The only difference im seeing is the god awfull  orange pink blend  hardcrete walls with the transparency wtripes that allow you to see into the structure from th top.. i was wonderfing if there are any "universal" graphical updates inthe works that incorperate alot of the "now unused" wdg 1.11 fixes like missiles actually being able to be seen..that was one of the things i felt was a majior improvement.. and am very upset to see it gone.  Improved crete wall graphics would be a step inthe right direction.. as well as a boost to the lazers.. with increasing resolutions thier looks have gotten a bit almost nonexsistant except for the heavy lazer.

3) ive noticed a DEFINATE improvement ove the AI and its strategy and got my butt handed to me on a 1vs 7 game 8 out of 9 games.. the last i was ONLY able to win because there was trafic jams in both the main areas to my base a the bottlenecks.. and i took advantage of that.. but all 7 computer oponents were leagues ahead of me on research.. that used to never happen and the boosted challenge is a most pleasant surprise.
but ive noticed alot of thier old quirks are still ever presant.. refusing to build any AA untill its far too late and their base is already well destroied..
noticed they still also refuse to really use any indirect fire units or  instilations.. and i was wonderinf if that would be adressed?

4) just a curiosity question...
With all the new graphics engines that most developers allow for usage and what not.. has there been any houghts or considerations for takign the basics.. or the fundamentals of the WZ code and its gameplay to a more updated 3d graphice engineto allow for easier modability and expansion of the game?

Ok.. have my 2 cents in for now... goign to nose abotu the forums for a bit before going back to getting my butt handed to me :P
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Ideas from a veteran noobie :P

Post by lav_coyote25 »

glad ya found the place...  all your comments are pretty much in the works...  slowly but surely the areas will eventually be worked on... needed are those with gfx abilities and coding experience as well as those that can work well with others ( ;D )... if you read all the forums here it will pretty much give you An idea of where we are at...

also -here..

and -here..

and - here..

chat later.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

DFStormbringer wrote: 4) just a curiosity question...
With all the new graphics engines that most developers allow for usage and what not.. has there been any houghts or considerations for takign the basics.. or the fundamentals of the WZ code and its gameplay to a more updated 3d graphice engineto allow for easier modability and expansion of the game?
FAQ entry: You should port Warzone to language XYZ (or 3D engine ABC)!!
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

Giel thanks for the heads up and my humble appologies for the annoances if any.. dont know if Lav remembers me much if even at all but im a total Wz junkie and have always boasted about the wonders of this great game..500 point tech tree.. total unit customization.. GODS!!!! nerdgasim!

any ways.. as for coding.. couldnet code if my life depended on it.. as for Gfx.. never really messed with the pie editor or the world editor.. i heard so  many times that they are so buggy..

Do do some work in photoshop and ive done a few things in a 3d program called blender but i doubt that will be of much help.....
BUT.. it has led me to ALOT of places where people DO know what they are doing along those lines..  ill gather a few links from various sites and try to throw togeather a summary of WZ and its many wonders and on the dev sites for blender and otehr 3d programs ill throw out the news that any fans of he game could really use thier help here at the ressurection sites.

Hey if i can get people willing to offer to make games from scratch based on some of my artwork.. im positive they will jump into something like this if they have playe the game before.

Ill do what i can.. but no promises.
-= Dare not meddle within the affairs of we dragons for you are crunchy and flavor well with bbq sauce =-

-=Build a man a fire and hes warm for a night. Set a man on fire and hes warm for the rest of his life=-
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

DFStormbringer wrote: 3) ive noticed a DEFINATE improvement ove the AI and its strategy and got my butt handed to me on a 1vs 7 game 8 out of 9 games.. the last i was ONLY able to win because there was trafic jams in both the main areas to my base a the bottlenecks.. and i took advantage of that.. but all 7 computer oponents were leagues ahead of me on research.. that used to never happen and the boosted challenge is a most pleasant surprise.
but ive noticed alot of thier old quirks are still ever presant.. refusing to build any AA untill its far too late and their base is already well destroied..
noticed they still also refuse to really use any indirect fire units or  instilations.. and i was wonderinf if that would be adressed?
Glad to hear that. I assume you were using the stock AI. If you can campile the latest SVN, you can try the Aivolution AI, it's does even better.

And it's true that not all problems of the stock AI were addressed, there's still enough to do.
?topic=1617.0
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

ok.. started doing my part....
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... post891214

Plan on hitting a few more 3d dev sites.. but currently eatting dinner after spending a good part of the mid day making that pic in the thread.
Plan on working on it regularly to make a few desktops ad banners.

Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

DFStormbringer wrote: ok.. started doing my part....
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthr ... post891214

Plan on hitting a few more 3d dev sites.. but currently eatting dinner after spending a good part of the mid day making that pic in the thread.
Plan on working on it regularly to make a few desktops ad banners.
cool.we do need some shameless advertisements.  :D

perhaps a 'warzone user' banner which you can include in your forum sig or sth might help a bit.

I think tweaking the textures(redo them will require full remapping textures and possibly reworking pies,so it's not very practical) is a cheap and efficient way to make warzone look significantly with minmal efforts.I messed with them a bit but found the colored textures are really headaches,and most importantly,I am plain suck at making textures with pretty much everything that is freely available like gimp.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DFStormbringer
Trained
Trained

Post by DFStormbringer »

Well as far as pluging.. im all over that :P
as for the sig banner.. because of bandwidth costs.. most forums dont even allow them but when i get my modeling in blender done and have a decent piccie that i have planned worked out im sure i can make a few custom WZ banners for me and others ehre to use to spread the word if people are interested in it.. just know that modeling from scratch can take me over a month to do with over 3 million verts planned inthe image.