New Sounds for Weapon-Systems?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Ryo
Trained
Trained

New Sounds for Weapon-Systems?

Post by Ryo »

Whats about new Firingsounds for some Weaponsystems?

There are lots of differend Weapons with no greater sense in WZ2100 ... but i like to use them because they are simply cool. In my opinion the heavy canon sounds realy impressive, so its allways nice to have some HC-Vehicles supporting your troops ;-)
But i think there are some realy anoying weaponsounds

The Assault Gun: think it would be nice if it sounds like a real Minigun (remember Terminator2 or Predator1? "Oh my god, its a damn Minigun!)

The Assault Cannon: me and my friends gave her the nick "Luftpumpenkanone:=tirepumpcannon" because its sounds like the old tire pump of my grandmas bicycle

And in my opinion the Gauss and Rail Weapons sound to weak, not as dangerous as the weapons are.

What do you think?

Greets Ryo
Last edited by Ryo on 04 Jun 2007, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Re: New Sounds for Weapon-Systems?

Post by Chojun »

Check out my sound mod that I did several years ago....  Coyote might have a link for you.

I completely agree with you.  The sound effects were quite lacking.  You may find my sound mod highly enjoyable...  8)
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

i will try and find it amongst the files i have - due to the site where it was is no longer functional..... will see if we can post it here. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

I found my sound mod.  Fortunately I had preserved it across HDD wipes, etc.  I will upload it to my school's webservers tomorrow when I get a chance.  It is in the "old" .wdg format...  I think it was compiled for the 1.12 unofficial update.  If there is anyone around here who would be interested in converting it to .wz for the new game, let me know.

I put a *LOT* of work into my sound mod back then, but it saw a lack of popularity because it was quite a large mod (~7.5 - 8 MB) and I did not have a place to host it.  I'd like to see it be resurrected.. :)
The best thing to do when your philosophies don't stand up to debate is to lock the thread and claim victory.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Chojun wrote: I found my sound mod.  Fortunately I had preserved it across HDD wipes, etc.  I will upload it to my school's webservers tomorrow when I get a chance.  It is in the "old" .wdg format...  I think it was compiled for the 1.12 unofficial update.  If there is anyone around here who would be interested in converting it to .wz for the new game, let me know.
I'm prepared to give that a go. If you have the source files of this mod, however, that might work even better/easier than the .wdg file.
Chojun wrote: I put a *LOT* of work into my sound mod back then, but it saw a lack of popularity because it was quite a large mod (~7.5 - 8 MB) and I did not have a place to host it.  I'd like to see it be resurrected.. :)
Well if you make sure to provide clear license terms (i.e. under what license you release your work), then we could surely host it as well.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

The weapon sound is a bit weak indeed,and the noises by the oilderricks just make things worse...

It seems units in warzone doesnt have 'chatter'/acknowledgeable respond voice when being selected/clicked,the lack of such feature made the gameplay less impressive imo.If we can have a voice for each component(at least the component names are known),then generating voice for templates should be fairly easy.

Chojun:Hope someone will be able to convert your wdg file to 'modern' wz archive and carry on the sound mod project.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Watermelon wrote: The weapon sound is a bit weak indeed,and the noises by the oilderricks just make things worse...

It seems units in warzone doesnt have 'chatter'/acknowledgeable respond voice when being selected/clicked,the lack of such feature made the gameplay less impressive imo.If we can have a voice for each component(at least the component names are known),then generating voice for templates should be fairly easy.
I had actually made an additional sound mod that sorta tackled this concept.  However, the Warzone sound and scripting engines at the time were generally lacking and I found my ability to do this was limited.  However, I did come up with a little mod that would give "atmosphere" to the game.  Transmissions would come in from command elements as well as units in combat at random intervals, giving you the sense that you were a mere part of a greater whole.  Research centers would report that research had been completed, etc.  Units would also report moderate and heavy damage via voice messages.  I also implemented sounds for units reporting that they had destroyed another unit or structure, but the shortcomings in the scripting engine never allowed this to work properly.  This "atmosphere" mod was a great addition to the game, but it too did not catch on much for the same reasons (I believe) that the sound mod didn't.
Watermelon wrote:Chojun:Hope someone will be able to convert your wdg file to 'modern' wz archive and carry on the sound mod project.
I've uploaded my sound mod.  It can be found here:

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~gilmore/modules ... junSFX.wdg

Feel free to (please) convert it to .wz for whatever warzone's latest release is.  The license for this may be complicated and I'm still formulating it, so when it is done being converted just let me know and I'll provide an email, and I can host it on my server.  I'm extremely excited that this mod may possibly be resurrected and that people can experience it yet again.  I'll provide an overview below of the units, buildings, etc that this mod affects.  Most units in the original game use "recycled" sound effects.  For instance, they share the same sound effects, i.e. Heavy Cannons and every artillery piece have the same sound effect.  My sound mod gives unique sound effects to almost all the units in the game.

Turrets:
Hellstorm Artillery (The rotary one..  Can't remember its name)  ..One of my favorites...
Regular/Incindiary/Groundshaker Artillery (recorded from an actual cannon)
Plasma Cannon
Rail Gun ..Another favorite >:)
VTOL Assault MG
Pepperpot Mortar (The rotary one)
Gauss Cannon
Mini-Rockets
Scourge Rockets
MG Cyborg
The 2nd AA Gun you can research (Name??)  This one is cool too if you are attacked by VTOLs and you have a lot of these....
Grenadier Cyborg
Laser AA
The 1st AA Gun
Ripple/Angel/Archangel Rocket Artillery Battery.  This one is probably my all-time favorite.  I was even shocked when I heard this for the first time.  Get like 4-6 batteries next to each other and you will find yourself not being able to wait for the next volley to fire >:)
EMP
Heavy Laser
All Assault/Rotary MGs (Ryo, you will enjoy this one...  This was recorded from an actual 7.62mm MG)
Flashlight Laser
All Flamethrowers (except the T3 one)
Needle Gun
HPV Cannon
Heavy Cannon (recorded from a real tank cannon of a similar size, 105mm)
Medium Cannon (same, but a different shell type from the same 105mm that isn't quite as beefy sounding)
Light MG
Twin MG
Heavy MG
All non-rotary mortars
Pulse Laser
Assault Cannon (no more Luftpumpenkanone)
All Heavy AT Rocket Launchers >:)
Light Cannon (as above, recorded from a real tank cannon.  This one is a smaller cannon, 33mm, if I remember correctly.  These were recorded long ago)

Explosions/Ricochets/Damage/etc.
Hellstorm Artillery
Groundshaker >:)
EMP
Rail Guns
Cannons
Rockets
Tank Explosions (admittedly this one didn't work out as well due to the game's mechanics...  I didn't like this one as much.  This sound is more appropriate for buildings being destroyed we could fix that since we have the source code)
Machinegun Ricochets (this improves the game a lot, IMO, machineguns sound like they're actually doing damage)

Buildings:
Oil Derrick (The original sound didn't bother me at all, but I thought I'd replace it with something that sounded like it was actually doing something)
Power Facility

Vehicle Movement:
VTOL Take-off
VTOL Landing
VTOL In-Flight (this sound was experimental but it sounded so cool (IMO) that I thought I'd keep it in.  I'd like your thoughts on this in-game.  It sounds pretty dang cool when a whole army of VTOLS come flying into your base, guns blazing..  Select a VTOL and turn on drive mode so you can follow it around.  It's cool..)

Misc:
Truck Building Noise
Repair Sounds
Artillery Shell Flight Sound (experimental but it doesn't bother me too much)

So, that's all for the sound mod.  Let me know if there are any problems converting it.  If so, I could probably provide the individual files.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

cool.I'll see if I can extract the files with the help of the wdg-to-wz convert guide from Kreuvf's site/post.
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Use Bones0's WDG Explorer.  It'll preserve the file structure.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Chojun wrote: Use Bones0's WDG Explorer.  It'll preserve the file structure.
I extracted the wav/cfg/txt files from your wdg,txt and cfg files seemed ok but the wav files were either corrupted or using a format is unknown to my media player(vlc,mpc and wmp),according to the error log the file is in an earlier version real media audio format,but the info could be wrong,since the wav's are prolly corrupted/have bad header.
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Watermelon; try the attached file. It has the .wav files converted into OggVorbis already (oggenc -q8; OggEnc v2.82 (libvorbis 1.1.2))
Attachments
audio.7z
(1.79 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
Serman
Trained
Trained

Post by Serman »

Watermelon wrote: It seems units in warzone doesnt have 'chatter'/acknowledgeable respond voice when being selected/clicked,the lack of such feature made the gameplay less impressive imo.If we can have a voice for each component(at least the component names are known),then generating voice for templates should be fairly easy.
Cyborgs in Warzone should have a radio-like voice response when clicked. Something like "Chhh - Awaiting orders, over -- Chh"
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Serman wrote: Cyborgs in Warzone should have a radio-like voice response when clicked. Something like "Chhh - Awaiting orders, over -- Chh"
heh. cyborgs in warzone aren't like sci-fi is cyborgs so much as normal people in large suits with a cord jacked into the back of their neck...
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

kage wrote: heh. cyborgs in warzone aren't like sci-fi is cyborgs so much as normal people in large suits with a cord jacked into the back of their neck...
In other words cyborgs are "cybernetic organisms", i.e. an organism that is a self-regulating integration of artificial and natural systems. Meaning for warzone, humans as the organisms and natural systems and large suits as the artificial systems. This all connected with a cord jacked into the back of the humans' necks.

This is both the Sci-Fi-ish definition used for cyborg as well as the definition used by warzone. So I'm not sure how you place this into context with "Chhh - Awaiting orders, over -- Chh". I mean, humans, cyborgs as well as complete machines could produce a stand-by message like that. But considering that objects that are completely a machine would just need to send over a few bytes to convey a similar message I can understand why this would better apply to pure humans and cyborgs only.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I converted & wanted to make it like a mod but its not work seems that audio cfg or those txt files are not for 2.0.x versions i think. But if to replace sounds in main warzone.wz(only ogg files txt files wasnt replaced) so its work. But not all sounds good as for me. exemple: VTOL In-Flight - I dont like. Its just not suits for this. & again oildereck sounds laud but nice. Power station good. Weapon .......is weapon seems good all here)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100