Newnet issues

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Crymson
Trained
Trained

Newnet issues

Post by Crymson »

Ever since reading the mailing list about the newnet merge coming this weekend, I decided to try it out.
Can someone explain what these new icons means ?
The first one shows "Zzz" and I always see that on both machines in a LAN game.
The other one shows "2 + 2 = 5" and this one pops up every now and then. I know that is the usual lingo for does not compute, but what exactly is the problem ?

The game slows down massively when the second icon appears, and in the logs, there are lots of
[checkDebugSync] Inconsistent sync debug at gameTime 203402. My version has 144 lines, CRC = 0x189F5D9A.
[gameTimeUpdate] Synch error, gameTimes were: { 203402, 203402, 203402, 203402, 203402, 203402, 203402, 203402}
[gameTimeUpdate] Synch error, CRCs were: {0xD4A23485, 0x189F5D9A, 0xD4A23485, 0xD4A23485, 0xD4A23485, 0xD4A23485, 0xD4A23485, 0xD4A23485}
entries.

What do these mean ? Since I was on a LAN, there shouldn't be any packet issues, so what is the problem ?
The game never recovers after getting the "2 + 2 = 5" icon, the logs just fill up with synch error messages. Is this by design or is this only for testing ?
If only for testing, then how can people help fix the problem ? I can't tell where the problem is at ? :hmm:

The maximum length of a game is under one minute since it gets unplayable after the "2 + 2 = 5" issue.

Should tickets be made for this, or is this known ?
One machine was a 64bit Windows 7, and the other was a 32bit Windows Vista laptop.
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: Newnet issues

Post by Safety0ff »

Crymson wrote:Ever since reading the mailing list about the newnet merge coming this weekend, I decided to try it out.
Can someone explain what these new icons means ?
The first one shows "Zzz" and I always see that on both machines in a LAN game.
The other one shows "2 + 2 = 5" and this one pops up every now and then. I know that is the usual lingo for does not compute, but what exactly is the problem ?
"Zzz" is "waiting for other players" and "2+2=5" is "out of sync". They have tooltips, but depending on which revision you played, it might have been difficult to get them to show.
I would suggest checking whether there is a new revision before trying to play (if you don't already do,) because the frequency of the Zzz messages has decreased significantly in a recent commit.
Crymson wrote:The game slows down massively when the second icon appears, and in the logs, there are lots of entries.

What do these mean ? Since I was on a LAN, there shouldn't be any packet issues, so what is the problem ?
It means the games aren't in perfect sync.
Crymson wrote:The game never recovers after getting the "2 + 2 = 5" icon the logs just fill up with synch error messages. Is this by design or is this only for testing ?
If only for testing, then how can people help fix the problem ? I can't tell where the problem is at ? :hmm:
I'm not sure it can recover.
Those messages are mostly useless (stderr ones,) the more useful logs are dumped to the "logs" folder, you probably did not see it because the first few messages get burried in the pile desync messages. See here for the file locations.
As for the long term plan for logging, I've been meaning to ask that to Cyp_. Though for the time being, newnet is still being tested.
Crymson wrote:The maximum length of a game is under one minute since it gets unplayable after the "2 + 2 = 5" issue.
:hmm: That is pretty bad, I know I had instant desyncs at one point, but that has been fixed.
Crymson wrote:Should tickets be made for this, or is this known ?
One machine was a 64bit Windows 7, and the other was a 32bit Windows Vista laptop.
I think it is fine to make newnet tickets at this stage.
Some non-sync related bugs are known and being worked on, I think it would be best to seperate the sync and non-sync reports.

Because of the nature of newnet, we will need as much information as possible, such as the compiler used, the revision of the source, any extra/different compilation options you used, etc. along with the desync logs.