Reimplementing CTRL for regrouping (1.10 behaviour)

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Re: Reimplementing CTRL for regrouping (1.10 behaviour)

Post by Powzone »

Yes I can. It also works with ctrl. The differece in 1.10 was, that if you have a group selected, by pressing ctrl and select new units, they were automatically added to the previously and still selected group. Meaning: Select group 2 -> ctrl + select new -> bigger group 2 with newly selected units.
Shift also (de-)selects new units, but doesn't add them to the selected group. This comes very handy when not using commanders and set the units to retreat for repairs. Pressing a lot of Shift/CTRL and then again CTRL+n to regroup units would be skipped, at the actual behavior.
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I almost never click units. Ctrl+z is much more convenient.
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

On a non-German keyboard... ;)
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I think this would be a more intuitive way of adding new units to a group.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
MagickPanda
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MagickPanda »

I think most mainstream RTS has that function with group X selected pressing CTRL and click or boxing units outside that group automatically adds newly selected unit to group X or make both group X units and newly selected units selected.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

We have that as well; they must be asking for something else (i have no idea what though ... adding tanks to numbered groups via ctrl+clicking? never heard of anything like that in the mainstream RTSes)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

We had it in 1.10 and it got removed, as it can be read in one of the first posts including a shot of the German manual. But yeah, I'm also thinking of most mainstream RTS's NOT having it.
Grouping is essential, when not running commanders and having 2 keys doing the same, while they could work slightly different and tihinking of all other key combos we have in the game, it would be nice to have it back in.

Also the unit orders are broken, as you can do all CTRL+Click commands also with Shift+Click
Last edited by Powzone on 09 May 2013, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

NoQ wrote:We have that as well; they must be asking for something else (i have no idea what though ... adding tanks to numbered groups via ctrl+clicking? never heard of anything like that in the mainstream RTSes)
We may use SHIFT+clicking instead. At least I think we do. I haven't played this game for a long time. :?
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

...because I just lauched 1.10 for nostalgia again... BUMP! :D

Still missing the good old "CTRL auto add to selected group" feature in 3.1.1!
NoQ wrote:... adding tanks to numbered groups via ctrl+clicking? ...
More like:
1. When in battle select an already numbered group (The attacking group. i.e. group 2)
2. Jump to factory/repair delivery point through the minimap
3. Hold CTRL and box the new/repaired units
4. Jump back through the minimap
5. Continue attacking and newly selcted units will follow up

This way it saves the regrouping with CTRL+# after adding the new units to the active group. Otherwise step 4 would be "Regroup with CTRL+2" and then we end with 6 steps intead of 5. This is useful for early MP/SK and campaign games, where no commanders are available or used.

Maybe this time, I had a better argument to reimplement this function. Should this also go in the ideas & suggestions thread? Then I'll post a link to this thread there... ;)

I will bug you with this every now and then... :twisted: ...since it's been something like 8 months or something, it might be okay... ;)
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

Okay, another year passed by and after finding the time to play through 3.1.2 and finding some other anoyances, bumping this one again.

I made heavy use of commanders this time around and it is crucial CTRL auto add isn't working. In this case you select new units to add to a commander and need to click on the commander unit to add them. Having this feature missing makes it very difficult to use the commanders in the campaign.

It is very clear to me, that you can use commanders as delivery point for factories, but it so happens, that you are forced to regroup/link them clicking on the commander in transport missions, which the campaign has plenty.

I would even go that far to say, that commanders are broken because of this issue. :)