Tower Defence

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Tower Defence

Post by EvilGuru »

Hi all,

As some of you may be aware a few months back I promised to spend one day a week working on Warzone after my exams finished. As my exams have now finished (with the last being on Friday the 11th) I am contemplating what to do.

One of the game types I miss in Warzone is one called tower defence. The basic premise -- as I am sure many of you are aware -- is simple: you build towers to either protect your base or to prevent enemy units from progressing along a pre-determined path.

Although Gerard did some work on this a while back he never got around to completing his map. Hence I am proposing the following series of questions.

Firstly, is a tower defence type of game/map the kind of thing that you would be interested in playing?

Secondly, if so, how should it operate with regards to research, oil resources etc. (Some TD games I have played give gold-for-kills, others give unlimited resources, some require you to research required technology, etc.) Ideas welcome.

Thirdly, to those with mapping experience, are there scripting/mapping features currently missing that would be needed or advantageous to help with the creation of such a map.

To this end I am offering to implement all of the required changes/enhancements to the code in order to make this possible. (Assuming there is demand, that is.)

Myself, as an avid fan of TD-type games from my Age of Empires/Warcraft days, would love to see this type of game play extended to Warzone -- which with its large collection of towers -- is the ideal candidate. However, I want to know what you think.

Polemically yours, Freddie.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Tower Defence

Post by Mysteryem »

Ah, yes, I remember when Gerard was working on tower defence as part of the lua branch. He had me create a simple mock up map for him to test it on. (I've got it somewhere if you want it)

Now, onto your questions.
I would be very interested in playing a tower defence style game/map, especially more so if it works with mulitplay co-op.
Secondly, I generally like having money (or power in this case) for kills. Concerning research, I like being able to upgrade individual structures for a cost (perhaps being able to build and upgraded tower onto an already existing one). Aside from upgrading, the other research that I would have would unlock new types of turret at your disposal.

I would start off by giving the player a reasonabley large amount of power and allow them to gain power slowly from a few oil derricks, perhaps more can be awarded to the player as they progress.

Having made quite a few maps over my time being part of this community I have never done any scripting, nor do I understand it. Explaining different parts of scripting and how to use it/do different things would be great IMO. So, if triggers can be added into the map making proccess, brilliant!

Quite a fair amount of what I said is probably a bit over complicated, but I wish you luck and I very much hope that this project becomes a successful part of warzone.

- Mysteryem
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

I would too be interested :)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

It would be much easier for map\mod makers to investigate a scripting wz lang, if to add a little & in the same time extensive example. (Little map with complete custom scripts) & make it in separate mod like this one (I made it recently, but it took much time for me surfing deep in wz2100 wiki & guids)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

If someone makes map for that then there should be like a mod that only allows to build defense buildings and futher research of buildings, with oil pumps for resources!
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Post by Christheturtle »

.... What?

So what you're saying is, to only allow the creation of defensive turrets etcetera... And no units? :stressed:
MetalWarrior95
Trained
Trained

Post by MetalWarrior95 »

There should be like like AI units spawning, and player can only make defenses while enemy goes trought cannyon.
But dont know if multi player maps support scripts of spawning enemy AI units without AI having a base...
Or there should be base but no reachable, after you research like riple rockets then you will have option to destroy enemy base and its over...something like that!
Il crush you!If i get crushed,il crush you twice stronger!!If you crush me again,then il blow up your PC!!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Christheturtle wrote:So what you're saying is, to only allow the creation of defensive turrets etcetera... And no units? :stressed:
That's usually how tower defense usually works, you know. ;) That's what the "tower" part means.
Christheturtle
Trained
Trained

Post by Christheturtle »

I don't get how the game play would work, and what the objectives would be... Care to explain?

Oh, and that comment was aimed at MetalWarrior. I had no clue what he was saying.
Gurduloo
Greenhorn

Post by Gurduloo »

For anyone who hasn't played a tower defense game before, here's a pretty nice one that runs on a browser:
http://armorgames.com/play/4962/bubble- ... r-defense/

I would love to play a tower defense style Warzone 2100 game. I think the existing defense structures would fit the genre perfectly. I sometimes feel like I'm playing a tower defense when I start buildings walls all over the place anyways in WZ.
Dalton
Trained
Trained

Post by Dalton »

Crymson
Trained
Trained

Post by Crymson »

EvilGuru wrote:Hi all,
As some of you may be aware a few months back I promised to spend one day a week working on Warzone after my exams finished. As my exams have now finished (with the last being on Friday the 11th) I am contemplating what to do.
Ah, yes, I remember when Gerard was working on tower defence as part of the lua branch. He had me create a simple mock up map for him to test it on. (I've got it somewhere if you want it)
Wouldn't this mean you would need to finish lua first, then do a TD mod ?
kmullins
New user

Post by kmullins »

I am new to WZ2100 but I would also be interested in a Tower Defense game. As soon as I started playing it that was actually one of the first ideas that popped up. I'm having trouble getting it to compile in Windows at the moment. If I can get this working then I would be happy to help out with any coding or scripting tasks in my free time.
m1ndgames
Trained
Trained

Post by m1ndgames »

i love (and still play) wc3 td's and would like to help... i could maybe build some maps (wintermaul & mafarazzo for wz? :D)

tell me what to do :)