New Features in Wz2100 which I want to see in future.

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: New Features in Wz2100 which I want to see in future.

Post by Watermelon »

kage wrote: i think, atm, it is limited to a minimum of one pixel per map tile. it shouldn't be too difficult to halve-reduce this a few more times, though if we use the easy method (displaying every other pixel), then you start losing a whole lot of data about units and structs on the map: they simply may not appear until they end up over a displayed map tile. the hard way involves halve-reducing the map texture, but doing something tricky with the unit and structure display so that all "seen" units will always get displayed (though when you zoom out enough, 4-5 units will easily get represented by a single pixel, just as would 1 unit).
I think you need a level of detail algorithm to do that,and wz needs some low-poly models to draw the shadow,drawing the 'real' models 3 times when rendering shadows is an overkill imo...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

Or, we could just make the whole map interface bigger, if we wanted to be gutsy and edit the source to provide with more room.
I mean, we don't /need/ the yellow bar that shows how much energy we have. (Not to say that we'd have to get rid of it entirely, just make it shorter, to accomodate a bigger map.) Really, I'd be just as happy with just a number, and no physical representation.

If it throws off balance with our stuff on the left side, we could throw some more options on top of that, to make it taller, and even it out. =p (Hey, maybe we could move the escape menu buttons to that part, so it'd be easier for us lazy people to quit the game.)

Or, we could add a big button that says "i r dbeug moed klO!L" and just have to push that, instead of our crazy shift+backspace combination.
technojunkie
Greenhorn

Post by technojunkie »

The biggest feature I would like to see implemented (and will try to work out until somebody beats me to a final solution)

VTOLS using rearming pads nearest to assigned duty.
-- if assigned to a sensor tower use pads nearest for better staging.
--if you build a forward base while moving through your attacks VTOLS will use pads at nearest base rather than flying back to far-rear rearming pads
-- if rearming pads are congested(say more than 3-4 VTOLS per pad) move to next nearest rearming field

I was also thinking the other day about what it would take to make commander units more viable
-- if commander is not directing an attack, then units are free to engage any unit seen(not sure if it works this way or not, but it seems not)
-- maybe add another option similar to 'assign fire support' called 'assign air support'(since it really isn't useful to directly assign VTOLS to a commander) It may be necessary to restrict the range from which the commander can request air cover.
--maybe add ECM capability (research?)(maybe better for a mod?) When human skirmishes go for more than a couple hours static defenses can become untouchable because of the indirect fire emplacements. The function of ECM would be to decrease the accuracy of incoming indirect munitions and maybe decrease the range of sensor turrets ability to detect.

Audio player or plugins so if we want something beside game music it's an option. I don't know which would be easier, dropping a player into the game or building plugins to interface with existing jukebox/player apps (itunes, WMP, amaroK, winamp etc...) I personally like the plugin option as we would be able to just grab a playlist and run.
Last edited by technojunkie on 09 Jan 2007, 19:16, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

technojunkie wrote: The biggest feature I would like to see implemented (and will try to work out until somebody beats me to a final solution)

VTOLS using rearming pads nearest to assigned duty.
-- if assigned to a sensor tower use pads nearest for better staging.
--if you build a forward base while moving through your attacks VTOLS will use pads at nearest base rather than flying back to far-rear rearming pads
-- if rearming pads are congested(say more than 3-4 VTOLS per pad) move to next nearest rearming field

I was also thinking the other day about what it would take to make commander units more viable
-- if commander is not directing an attack, then units are free to engage any unit seen(not sure if it works this way or not, but it seems not)
-- maybe add another option similar to 'assign fire support' called 'assign air support'(since it really isn't useful to directly assign VTOLS to a commander) It may be necessary to restrict the range from which the commander can request air cover.
--maybe add ECM capability (research?)(maybe better for a mod?) When human skirmishes go for more than a couple hours static defenses can become untouchable because of the indirect fire emplacements. The function of ECM would be to decrease the accuracy of incoming indirect munitions and maybe decrease the range of sensor turrets ability to detect.
The VTOL rearming related stuff is really complicated,I really dont know how to change them with major breakage...

I think some 'off-map' fire support/air support for commander would be useful,though I am not how hard it will be to implement such things.

I still have no clue what the ECM does in wz,seems they are not available in both sp/mp games,though there are ECM entries in various txt files and source.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

technojunkie wrote: When human skirmishes go for more than a couple hours static defenses can become untouchable because of the indirect fire emplacements...

Not really.  Take a few heavy-bodied indirect tanks (with whatever direct fire guards you want), attach them to a CB-hover vehicle, move them to the enemy base, and have the CB-hover run circles.  The enemy bases's first few salvos will go for the CB-hover (which will miss it), and afterwards, once their CB tower kicks in and they start firing at the artillery vehicles, you'll find the heavy-body artillery vehicles can take a massive amount of artillery fire compared to a hellstorm emplacement.

As long as you don't let direct-fire or VTOLs get to your "anti-artillery assault force", you can reduce their emplacements rather readily.

(Unless we are talking, like, 100+ emplacements... but if a game has gone on that long... Great Scott man)
technojunkie
Greenhorn

Post by technojunkie »

themousemaster wrote:
(Unless we are talking, like, 100+ emplacements... but if a game has gone on that long... Great Scott man)
We are :)
Watermelon wrote: The VTOL rearming related stuff is really complicated,I really dont know how to change them with major breakage...
I'm not saying it will be easy, but the code from return for repair should be useful as vehicles go to the nearest repair facility.
Last edited by technojunkie on 11 Jan 2007, 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

technojunkie wrote: -- if commander is not directing an attack, then units are free to engage any unit seen(not sure if it works this way or not, but it seems not)
This one should be thought through.

The commander is a squad leader. Imagine if you're a squad leader out in the woods with your team, and you're currently idle, awaiting new orders, so your guys run off to dig up some trouble - bad move.
I would want my team to stick together and not engage any fights unless we're all prepared. If the units roam free, picking fights whenever possible, it could quickly draw too much attension and might even force me to abandon ground.

Units assigned to a commander should stick close and be ready for a planned and focused attack whenever ordered.

Whenever possible, I only pick a fight if I know I'm gonna win, or if I'm intending on a hit-and-run tactic.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

karmazilla wrote: This one should be thought through.

The commander is a squad leader. Imagine if you're a squad leader out in the woods with your team, and you're currently idle, awaiting new orders, so your guys run off to dig up some trouble - bad move.
I would want my team to stick together and not engage any fights unless we're all prepared. If the units roam free, picking fights whenever possible, it could quickly draw too much attension and might even force me to abandon ground.

Units assigned to a commander should stick close and be ready for a planned and focused attack whenever ordered.

Whenever possible, I only pick a fight if I know I'm gonna win, or if I'm intending on a hit-and-run tactic.
I think he means, specifically, that units standing around should be able to fire back.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if a Commander of a group, and all of his units, are stationary, they will NOT fire at anything.

That is... rather unsettling from a military standpoint ;p.

I believe he just wants units to return fire, perhaps a modified version of the "guard" orders, while not being commanded, as opposed to the "hold-ground + hold fire" they seem to have at the moment.
technojunkie
Greenhorn

Post by technojunkie »

Themousemaster has it about right. If I order a Squad leader to leave a firefight, the units will engage targets of opportunity while moving away , but if just sitting around they don't do anything the commander most times won't even begin directing an attack without being told to.
technojunkie
Greenhorn

Post by technojunkie »

kage wrote: i think, atm, it is limited to a minimum of one pixel per map tile. it shouldn't be too difficult to halve-reduce this a few more times, though if we use the easy method (displaying every other pixel), then you start losing a whole lot of data about units and structs on the map: they simply may not appear until they end up over a displayed map tile. the hard way involves halve-reducing the map texture, but doing something tricky with the unit and structure display so that all "seen" units will always get displayed (though when you zoom out enough, 4-5 units will easily get represented by a single pixel, just as would 1 unit).
I realize this may be an intensive wish, but what about the possibility of a hot key to grow the minimap to fullscreen to display as much area as possible at a glance? Similar to the spawn point selection map in the battlefield series.
karmazilla
Trained
Trained

Post by karmazilla »

A feature I think modders/mappers would like: View mode - starts warzone with a command line option instructing it to use its rendering engine to render a map file or a pie file.
I'm thinking something like:
warzone --viewmode my_superbody.pie
Or
warzone --render 8c-thepit2006.wz

And once in "view mode", you can rotate and zoom in/out on the object on the screen.
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Post by commondragon »

....cheaters need some love:

A: A clean up of the structures in debug mode (Guys, I don't want to build missle silos and nexus walls in skirmish, I just want my wide spectrum tower first thing, is that so bad?)

B: An option to only use "Give all" unto yourself (that way the AI won't attack me with tons and tons of lassat strikes)

C: MAKE BIFFER BAKER TOGGABLE

that is all.....

EDIT(DevUrandom): Added some continence.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 12 Jan 2007, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)