Want to help : Modeling

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Olrox
Art contributor

Re: Want to help : Modeling

Post by Olrox »

I'll see if it works with .3DS, then :).
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

To where should I send the files, by the way?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

You can attach them to your posts here (see "Additional Options..." when posting your message).

I'd also like to know a polygon/triangle count of your model (curiousity mainly).
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Is 856 polygons too much ????
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Currently we probably barely hit 200. But I don't that it is too much. It can be reduced afterwards in case we don't get the engine fast enough to display it with acceptable performance.
Oelpfanne
Greenhorn

Post by Oelpfanne »

I want to help allso!

In which format the models have to be? What models have to been done?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

DevUrandom wrote: Currently we probably barely hit 200. But I don't that it is too much. It can be reduced afterwards in case we don't get the engine fast enough to display it with acceptable performance.

unless / untill the renderer is changed these i belive are the rule of thumb.  this was a result of the conversation between myself and Grimandmandy.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'll try to use less cylinders/ spheres so the polygons reach roughly 100~300 :).

P.S.: I've already made viper / small body wheels new models but my internet is kaput!  :-\. I'm using my brother's work computer for posting only, so when my internet return to shape I send 'em to you.
  And 856 polygons are not the count for the model wich I have posted as picture :D I'll find out how many they are, for curiosity's sake, right Giel?  ;D
I want to help allso!

In which format the models have to be? What models have to been done?
  I'm remodelling some vehicle parts (like, adding some smooth forms to the 10 polygoned viper ;D). I export my files to 3DS, because Giel said it would be better for them to work on it.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

The max polygons limits is 512,though there is also a 512 vertices limits...so all polygons have to be 'point' if you have exactly 512 polygons...

though the limits is per-pie not per droid,a droid is assembled from a body,2 propulsion and 1 or more weapons,so each component/pie only has 10-30 polygons/50-200 points.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Watermelon wrote: The max polygons limits is 512,though there is also a 512 vertices limits...so all polygons have to be 'point' if you have exactly 512 polygons...
or you could duplicate polygons a lot. if you're not assuming that a model must be convex, then the number of possible non-duplicate non-overlapping polygons increases exponentially with the number of total points, and exponentially again when you increase the number of points that can form a polygon -- warzone allows for a maximum of 10 points per polygon, which need not be coplanar.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

My internet is back!

I've managed to reduce my viper model's poygon count from 856 to 76  (:o) It is now attached in .3DS with wheels already on it. (How do I change the textures from wz2100 to .bmp, .tga or something like that? and where are they located?)

P.S.: Coyote, your links were of great help. Thank you.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'm now working on new Bug.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Alrightey, round 100 polygons! Bug is finished. I'm going to Leopard now.

Hey, if anyone wants something to be done a different way, please say it (before I do it all :D)

Attachment: new Bug body.3DS
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Leopard - 136 polys (I promise I'm not raising polygon count in geometric progression ;D)
   Now working on Retaliation.

Attachment: New Leopard.3DS.

P.S.: I'm learning UVW unwrapping. It'll take a while, but when I'm ready to do some texture mapping, I'll send 'em mapped for you (or at least the UV files and image ones). Have anyone seen my models?