Want to help : Modeling

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Equal
New user

Want to help : Modeling

Post by Equal »

Hi,

I was Wondering if there would be any need for new Unit models like :
New Weapons , Bodys , Chaissis , Buuildings , Features(forest, bridges, other stuff) , ...

but i though about , that this CAN change the game style very enormously.
new boulding means new research , new way of developing ingame etc....

so i came to that i could Remodeling the Existing models Completle new. i mean just to ad some more
deatils,

OR

we will do an addon to the game with aloowes you to ad the new elements if you wish.

1 0 X =
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Want to help : Modeling

Post by DevUrandom »

Remodeling is nice. Rush and Lixtan allready did some work into that direction: http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=79.0
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

DevUrandom wrote: Remodeling is nice. Rush and Lixtan allready did some work into that direction: http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=79.0
did you try to use the mesh file provided by them in wz as pie?

just wondering if it's still worth adding float point support for pie format,I got it half-working but I broke the water edge tile texture after the changes...it's just hard to change something in current renderer without breaking exist functionalities...
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Watermelon wrote: did you try to use the mesh file provided by them in wz as pie?
Which mesh file?
Watermelon wrote: just wondering if it's still worth adding float point support for pie format,I got it half-working but I broke the water edge tile texture after the changes...it's just hard to change something in current renderer without breaking exist functionalities...
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

DevUrandom wrote: Which mesh file?
hmm isnt the .ac files in this page mesh files?

http://wz2100.net/forum/index.php?topic=79.60
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

huh. i would've expected the code wouldn't have had too much resistance to such a change, but then i keep forgetting that this was developed jointly for the psx, which is arm iirc (which has a *really* hard time dealing with floating point numbers in the lower end arm hardware). at least the pie format itself would retain backwards compatibility from such a simple change, and scanf semantics should work straight out of the box with old and new style pie files as soon as you tell it to parse for floats.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Watermelon: So you wanted to ask "did you convert the AC3D mesh file provided by them into a PIE file and tried it in Warzone"?
No, I didn't convert those files by hand...
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

DevUrandom wrote: Watermelon: So you wanted to ask "did you convert the AC3D mesh file provided by them into a PIE file and tried it in Warzone"?
No, I didn't convert those files by hand...
yes...though wz doesnt support float point vertices atm(my patch added it but it broke something else like water edge textures for unknown reason,and the patch is completely broken now(causes weird segment fault/memory corruption when loading IMD's...) after recent commits...),so you cant import any models using float vertices even if we have a import script...
gaminggeek
New user

Post by gaminggeek »

I will also be interested in helping to remodel stuff as the game now looks very dated.
Can the game engine be made to handle some higher polygon models high res textures and possably some normal mapping?
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

gaminggeek wrote: I will also be interested in helping to remodel stuff as the game now looks very dated.
Can the game engine be made to handle some higher polygon models high res textures and possably some normal mapping?
higher resolution textures are possible,but higher polygon models require source changes and it's not going to be fast if we have hundreds of high polygon units on screen simultaneously,since wz has far bigger battlefield view range/radius than any 'average' RTS games.
Kyor
Trained
Trained

Post by Kyor »

Yeah, the normal polygons are fine, except for the trees and humans o.o

they are crosses.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I'm new in the forums, so please don't get too harsh if I post something off-topic ;D

I am interested in putting my ACAD skills to help the developers by remodeling some (or even all) weapon systems, vehicle bodies, propulsion, you name it. But I have no knowledge on format changing nor scripting, so I would only provide layered .dwg files. Interested?

Attachment: Screenshot of renderized tank model. Not made for WZ2100 although.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Looks good.
I don't know yet if Blender can import dwg files, though. So if you have "more common" export formats to choose from, I think that will be better.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

I have 3Ds Max 8. I can import dwg files then export to .OBJ and .3DS or save at .max. There are other formats, too. On which format you could work best?
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

From those formats you mentioned 3DS probably is the best.
"First make sure it works good, only then make it look good." -- Giel
Want to tip/donate? bitcoin:1EaqP4ZPMvUffazTxm7stoduhprzeabeFh