Commander overhaul, mark one.

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Commander overhaul, mark one.

Post by Zarel »

So, you guys all want commander improvements. I know that. But you guys have way too many ideas about how, and I just can't do all of them (I'm sure some of them contradict each other).

So, for now, let's do a little at a time.

What do we do?

1. We fix all the commander bugs. All the "assigned units unassign themselves every once in a while" bugs. The "commanders sometimes report having the wrong experience level" bugs. The "secondary orders reset themselves for no reason" bugs.

And then, we can start on actually making them useful.

This one's my first idea w.r.t. that:

2. We make it so commanders always follow. Like in WarCraft III with long-ranged heroes. The commander will always be ~3 tiles behind the frontmost unit.

This will not be configurable (making it configurable is way too much work for little benefit) so I want you guys to say Y/N before I start working on it.
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Re: Commander overhaul, mark one.

Post by lav_coyote25 »

This one's my first idea w.r.t. that:

2. We make it so commanders always follow. Like in WarCraft III with long-ranged heroes. The commander will always be ~3 tiles behind the frontmost unit.

This will not be configurable (making it configurable is way too much work for little benefit) so I want you guys to say Y/N before I start working on it.

yes !! will be better than walling the damn thing in to prevent getting all killed. :3 :3 :3
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

Big YES.

I 'cheated' that - always made the commander with heavy body/tracks, so that it will be slower then rest of the forces, and making micro-management turns to keep it in the back.

One question though - when retreating commander for repairs, how he will behave: leave the units behind and go to rep fac? Or wait for the units to come to the front? (that wouldn't be good, he'll be dead in no time)
dmkp
Trained
Trained

Post by dmkp »

What *are* commanders for anyway?
Zarax
Trained
Trained

Post by Zarax »

Yes please, that will avoid *a lot* of micromanaging...
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

About commanders: Just fix the bugs, this will make everything better.
All the rest are bonuses.

About commanders always follow... Well, I don't like this idea at all, for two reasons:
If you want them behind some forces, just make the heavier and slower. It will make them stronger, so you earned something extra.
And in some cases, I like the commanders to rush ahead and target something, so the long range artillery will be able to shoot it from far without waiting for everyone to get closer.

Having this behavior fixed without an option to disable it is just another reason not to do it.

But the bugs, oh the bugs, they are sooo important!
Michal
Trained
Trained

Post by Michal »

iap wrote: And in some cases, I like the commanders to rush ahead and target something, so the long range artillery will be able to shoot it from far without waiting for everyone to get closer.
Well, there are... sensor turrets for it, am I wrong?
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

But sensor turrets doesn't... command. Am I missing something?

I like the commanders because of what they are and their functionality, that's why I use them and not anything else.

To make them slower, just design slower (and with probebly higher armor) commander tanks. :)
sautedman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sautedman »

1) Absolutely (does it even need discussion?)

2) Sure. If we don't like it, we can change it later.

I am very glad this is getting taken up, and I look forward to seeing future developments. :)
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

dmkp wrote:What *are* commanders for anyway?
This could be a joke, but anyway:
http://guide.wz2100.net/commanders

@the propposed changes:
I like both of them. I may not want to make my commander too slow, especially if I set it to "retreat at heavy damage". if it's retreat is covered by other units (instead of having it to go across all the commanded group, like it is right now), its odds of surviving are much greater.
This second part could be even better if we've got that rearwards movement, but that's another story, completely.

So, yes to both!
Saberuneko
Regular
Regular

Post by Saberuneko »

Yes! I like the idea
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

THIS is what I have been waiting for. Squash the bugs and make commanders follow!
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
zimboptoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by zimboptoo »

1. Of course yes.

2. Also yes. I can't think of a single time that I've ever wanted my commander in front. Sucks for people who use commanders instead of sensors for artillery units... *shrugs*
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Clarification (crossposted from another thread)

To be exact, my plans are to make sure that commanders are 2 tiles behind the frontmost combat unit assigned to it, as long as there is a combat unit within 4 tiles assigned to it. The commander would wait for two seconds, at most - nothing major. The commander is designed to command other units - a lone commander can't do anything, anyway.

The commander also has a sensor/weapon range much more than 2 tiles further than any other non-artillery weapon, so it will be able to target anything the units it's behind can target.

Designing a slow commander will make the commander slow, which is undesirable. What I'm guessing most people want is a commander that can keep up with the units it's commanding, while still hiding behind them.

Have you ever played WarCraft III? Play it, choose a long-range hero, and watch how it follows behinds the units it commands. It's not a clunky interface at all.
BlueMaxima
Trained
Trained

Post by BlueMaxima »

I have to agree with all these ideas, especially the bug fixing :P

I never used Commanders because of their natural ability to die easily.
Bring back...ducks!