Get rid of artillery shooting straight up?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should artillery tanks be able to shoot straight up?

Yes. (current behavior)
26%
No. (proposed behavior)
74%

Total votes: 42

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Get rid of artillery shooting straight up?

Post by Zarel »

READ BEFORE VOTING

Currently, weapons can only shoot between their minimum range and their maximum range, with one strange exception:

Indirect (artillery) tanks (and only tanks, not structures) can shoot things inside their minimum range. They do this by shooting straight up. I've been thinking about this, and I don't think this is desirable, for several reasons:

1. Shooting straight up is extremely inaccurate. Normally, with an enemy nearby, you shoot sideways and your bullets will hit the enemy fairly quickly. If you shoot up, though, you need to wait for the bullet to go up and then back down, by which time the enemy will usually have moved out of the way.

This is exacerbated by the fact that artillery often have fairly long reload times, so by shooting straight up you've wasted a fairly important shot.

2. Shooting straight up will damage yourself. As of right now, all artillery weapons have a fair amount of splash damage. If you shoot straight up, you will hit and damage yourself. While, at the same time, not really hurting your opponent at all, since, as noted, they usually move out of the way.

3. Because of the above, many users consider it to be fairly annoying behavior.

4. It's inconsistent. "Minimum range" means "minimum range"; it shouldn't mean "minimum range unless you're an artillery tank, in which case you have exceptional special behavior". Per advocates fewer exceptions, and I (usually) agree. Not to mention it's inconsistent with artillery structures, which do not have such behavior.

The behavior might have made sense in the original Warzone, where the projectile code gave you a decent chance of hitting the opponent, and artillery weapons did 5-10% of the splash damage they do now.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Re: Get rid of artillery shooting straight up?

Post by TVR »

Given the lack of armour granted by the artillery turrets, it probably is better to shoot at units that are overrunning the siege position, than to sit there and be destroyed.

However, the maximum angle of elevation and minimum velocity of the projectile should have realistic bounds, this is the only way to enforce a minimum range.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

TVR wrote:Given the lack of armour granted by the artillery turrets, it probably is better to shoot at units that are overrunning the siege position, than to sit there and be destroyed.

However, the maximum angle of elevation and minimum velocity of the projectile should have realistic bounds, this is the only way to enforce a minimum range.
Remember, these are artillery tanks. It'd usually be easier for them to move 2 tiles away and shoot, than to sit there and shoot straight up and probably miss.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Zarel wrote:
TVR wrote:Given the lack of armour granted by the artillery turrets, it probably is better to shoot at units that are overrunning the siege position, than to sit there and be destroyed.

Remember, these are artillery tanks. It'd usually be easier for them to move 2 tiles away and shoot, than to sit there and shoot straight up and probably miss.
If it's a long range artillery unit then it's most likely very heavy and will therefore move really really slowly. And then, after it has backed up, the whole tank has to turn around. I think they would get shot to bits if they tried to back up so that they could shoot.

Although shooting straight up is rather pointless for -reasonably- short artillery weapons, especially the MRL (or whatever we're calling it now. They might be able to move away and shoot and/or make it out alive. I've even seen MRLs shoot up and have their projectiles explode before they hit the ground.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

True, but you wouldn't think a long-range weapon would be able to angle straight up in the first place.

I admit that part of the reason for this was because of MRL frustrations, though.
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Mortars should still shoot straight up. In real life, a mortar never fires at an angle below 45° from horizontal, because it can't, the round must be able to fall down the tube with enough force for the firing pin in the bottom to ignite the primer and fuse. Mortars can fire at near 90° from the horizontal, but not quite (unless some brave soul is holding the tube manually).

Howitzers are both direct and indirect fire weapons. Therefore, when the enemy closes the distance they should operate like a cannon.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Unfortunately, we don't have such fine-grained control, so it's all-or-nothing, and I'd rather have "nothing".
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Zarel wrote:... these are artillery tanks. It'd usually be easier for them to move 2 tiles away and shoot ...
If that were the case, they would never have been overrun in the first place...
Zarel wrote:... we don't have such fine-grained control, so it's all-or-nothing, and I'd rather have "nothing". ...
One of the most prominent RPS [hard-counter] design flaws is watching units do NOTHING while they're being systematically destroyed.

As a result of this, Total Annihilation is played more than Supreme Commander to this day, every unit will attempt to shoot at all other units, including tank cannons at aircraft.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

TVR wrote: One of the most prominent RPS [hard-counter] design flaws is watching units do NOTHING while they're being systematically destroyed.

As a result of this, Total Annihilation is played more than Supreme Commander to this day, every unit will attempt to shoot at all other units, including tank cannons at aircraft.
Fuckin' aye to that.

Plus in warzone, you can never get your damn artillery to retreat to any kind of safety because they have to be forced to be linked to a "sensor". That's a stupid ass problem on its own but this proposal of removing their close in attack would just dump gasoline on the issue. Now your mobile artillery is somehow even more totally pointless.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I'd argue that being able to choose where you want your arty to hit makes it quite a bit more useful than stationary arty.

Perhaps I'll just add an exception for MRL/Seraph.
PkK
Trained
Trained

Post by PkK »

kenalcock wrote:Mortars should still shoot straight up. In real life, a mortar never fires at an angle below 45° from horizontal, because it can't, the round must be able to fall down the tube with enough force for the firing pin in the bottom to ignite the primer and fuse. Mortars can fire at near 90° from the horizontal, but not quite (unless some brave soul is holding the tube manually).
Do mortars have a minimum range?

Philipp
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Yes.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Zarel wrote:I'd argue that being able to choose where you want your arty to hit makes it quite a bit more useful than stationary arty. ...
That's a very short-sighted advantage:
Zarel wrote:Re: selecting defenses

It's on my "to do" list.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

TVR wrote:
Zarel wrote:Re: selecting defenses

It's on my "to do" list.
It'd only be one structure at a time...

Tanks also have better defense than artillery structures. And can be ordered to hold fire while you choose something important for them to shoot.
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Zarel wrote:... It'd only be one structure at a time ... Tanks ... can be ordered to hold fire while you choose something important for them to shoot. ...
Those are arbitrary restrictions on an otherwise unified interface, removing them is a objective way to improve Warzone 2100.