Commander things

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
GPolice
Trained
Trained

Re: Commander things

Post by GPolice »

Im read a Text and there stands when your Commanda Relay Center are Destroyed...you will Lost the Command Menue. But my CRC is down... nothing happenens...
Terminator wrote:problem 3) de-assigning happens sometimes, Don't know why.
Ps: sorry if I didn't found some info in wz guide.
This is when you Commander have a Upgrade to 8 Units and you must decelectet one and put 3 in the Commander Group to take them . Im hate that Bug :(
The Commander is to expensive... 750 Energy for 10+ more Probability ???
250 Energy is better ;)

Im will write a Ticket but im have a Bad English ;)
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Now that I see a few ideas in this topic, I'd like to address a few more things

1. There's no way to use mobile repair droids to heal the commander directly, as they get assigned instead.

2. As stated above, units struggle between falling back at low health, and commander's orders.

3. Repair facility heals the commander only instead of the whole squad.

4. No attack is necessary, but the commander dies fast cause of low durability, AND being the first one to go. Would be nice if the formation enforced other units to shield the commander(should apply also to stuff like mobile repairmen, and sensors). Otherwise, the units often even fall behind too much, and the commander is dead before they catch up.

About the population cap... well, Warzone never had anything close to this concept, and if applied also to campaign - would need some steady numbers:
Command Center - 25 units
CRC - 10
Commander - the very same number they can assign

The whole idea of enforcing construction of CRC's is great, as it discourages turtling in one chokepoint, often requiring you to build forward bases and expands(most of the time revolving around oil derricks for convenience).
dmkp
Trained
Trained

Post by dmkp »

What are commanders for anyway? I never saw any need to use them!
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Ceiling Cat wrote:1. There's no way to use mobile repair droids to heal the commander directly, as they get assigned instead.
Yes, there is. Alt+click on the commander.
Ceiling Cat wrote:2. As stated above, units struggle between falling back at low health, and commander's orders.
Known, no need to repeat it for like the 65th time. :/
Ceiling Cat wrote:3. Repair facility heals the commander only instead of the whole squad.
Interesting...
Ceiling Cat wrote:4. No attack is necessary, but the commander dies fast cause of low durability, AND being the first one to go. Would be nice if the formation enforced other units to shield the commander(should apply also to stuff like mobile repairmen, and sensors). Otherwise, the units often even fall behind too much, and the commander is dead before they catch up.
Commander durability is quite high... I'm planning on changing the formation to protect the commander, anyway. Not that it matters in multiplayer, people will just aim straight for the commander.
Ceiling Cat wrote:About the population cap... well, Warzone never had anything close to this concept, and if applied also to campaign - would need some steady numbers:
Command Center - 25 units
CRC - 10
Commander - the very same number they can assign
Seems a bit low. I'm staying with current plans:

No CC: 5 units
CC: 50 units
CC+CRC: 100 units
CC+2xCRC: 150 units

My plans are to limit at 2 CRCs, for now.
sautedman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sautedman »

Zarel wrote: Commander durability is quite high... I'm planning on changing the formation to protect the commander, anyway. Not that it matters in multiplayer, people will just aim straight for the commander.
This seems to be a balance problem. Perhaps we can get around it by lowering the accuracy of units when they fire at a commander (on top of the experience effect)? Commanders have a lot of potential, and they should be usable.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

sautedman wrote: This seems to be a balance problem. Perhaps we can get around it by lowering the accuracy of units when they fire at a commander (on top of the experience effect)? Commanders have a lot of potential, and they should be usable.
Accuracy its no enough I think. As I said before it would be better to increase HP or Armor. With increasing accuracy I would recommend to increase resists vs. all kind of weapons, may be except fire damage.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The Commander is a unit that is really annoying to use, that is why nobody is using it. By making it better or more required to compete in games, the whole game is dragged down to its level, rather than making the game better. I think we should rethink the entire commander concept, and perhaps take some ideas from Supreme Commander, instead.
guciomir
Trained
Trained

Post by guciomir »

i never played supreme commander, could you tell what kind of ideas would it be?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:The Commander is a unit that is really annoying to use, that is why nobody is using it. By making it better or more required to compete in games, the whole game is dragged down to its level, rather than making the game better. I think we should rethink the entire commander concept, and perhaps take some ideas from Supreme Commander, instead.
How's about just making it less annoying to use? :/ That's what I'm working on...
Doomspark
Greenhorn

Post by Doomspark »

I like the commander unit, despite its flaws. I don't find it annoying at all. I'd much rather have my units assigned to commanders than running around on their own. I would really love to see a cyborg commander in the game. I'm probably the only person in the world who would use such a unit though.

On the CRC: instead of increasing unit limits, how about having it add sensor capability to the commander turret? Then your in-range artillery would be able to provide indirect fire support for your army automatically. Once the VTOL turret is researched, VTOLS assigned to the commander would automatically come in for air support. And so on, with the other sensor upgrades. If you lose your CRC, you lose the sensor ability.

Then have the commander turret upgrades increase HP / Armor / whatever else you want.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

I'm a great fan of commanders too, especially the return-to-battle-behavior of assigned units is convenient. But I do not, however, believe that adding new abilities like automatic air- or artillery-support to commanders will do the game any good. Having commanders do everything on their own will sooner or later end the player up with having nothing else to do than point his commanders into a direction and setting them loose. The commander will be just fine if i's current flaws are eliminated.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
TheBurlak20
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheBurlak20 »

Doomspark wrote:On the CRC: instead of increasing unit limits, how about having it add sensor capability to the commander turret? Then your in-range artillery would be able to provide indirect fire support for your army automatically. Once the VTOL turret is researched, VTOLS assigned to the commander would automatically come in for air support. And so on, with the other sensor upgrades. If you lose your CRC, you lose the sensor ability.

Then have the commander turret upgrades increase HP / Armor / whatever else you want.
I like this idea and great it would be to have something like that. After behind it the commander already has the possibility of fire supporting artillery from the base, and alternative options were grate.

I'm too us commanders and I don't want to they disappear from the game, for me the game without them is some strange.

Still something, for the commanders in order to oneself some reinforcement, the same as well as for tanks which are attributed to the given commander.

Sory For my english. I`m using translators.
My English sucks...
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Doomspark wrote:I like the commander unit, despite its flaws. I don't find it annoying at all. I'd much rather have my units assigned to commanders than running around on their own. I would really love to see a cyborg commander in the game. I'm probably the only person in the world who would use such a unit though.

On the CRC: instead of increasing unit limits, how about having it add sensor capability to the commander turret? Then your in-range artillery would be able to provide indirect fire support for your army automatically. Once the VTOL turret is researched, VTOLS assigned to the commander would automatically come in for air support. And so on, with the other sensor upgrades. If you lose your CRC, you lose the sensor ability.

Corporal Punishment wrote:I'm a great fan of commanders too, especially the return-to-battle-behavior of assigned units is convenient. But I do not, however, believe that adding new abilities like automatic air- or artillery-support to commanders will do the game any good. Having commanders do everything on their own will sooner or later end the player up with having nothing else to do than point his commanders into a direction and setting them loose. The commander will be just fine if i's current flaws are eliminated.
Agree with Corporal Punishment. If CMD would do everything, than other sensors aren't need any more. I think CMDs only for close combat support. For Artilleries and Vtol there are tones of sensor Turrets, but if ts doesn't work right, so its other discussion.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
iap
Trained
Trained

Post by iap »

Hi, I'm not an experienced player, but I do like to play this game.

I really love the commanders, I can't go to battle without one. Giving them super powers will not do any good, i think, but fixing some stuff about them can make the game more fun.

I will not say again all the stuff that you already mentioned, like units are randomly dis-assigned or lose their orientation, but I will add some stuff:
* There is an "assigned to commander" announcement, witch is very important. But I need a feedback when the unit did not assigned to a commander due to a limit.
* statistics about the commander will help me greatly, like how many units are assigned, what is my limit, what "bonuses" does all the unit gets
* I don't know what is the situation right now, but some bonuses given to all the assigned units could make the commander very useful. bonuses like speed, hp, accuracy and even reload time. It does make sense in real life. Soldiers with a commander are much more motivated and trained then ones without. I think the bonuses should increase as the commander's XP increases.

Two commands are missing for me:
* gather command - to make all units go together to one place. usually when I tell the commander to go somewhere, all the units are going in a battle formation - the closed combat in front and artillery in the rear, sometimes I need them together.
* Retreat command - to make all the units and the commander go back to the nearest repair station. I know there is a repair command but it seems to work only for the commander itself, while the other units are standing, and here to - they are to scattered.

iap
bigfoot77210
Greenhorn

Post by bigfoot77210 »

For me the Command Turret is the most important technology as it avoid micro-management.

To my mind, the commander turret is really too expensive, and its use does not justify its price except for the MK1.
Just take a look at the HP of turret MK4, they are multiplied by less than 2 while its cost is multiplied by 5!
I do not speak about the damages which are more symbolic…

Such a high cost makes the research of Command Turret MK2 and later completly useless, since it is to expensive to be built.

My suggestion:
- Keeping the cost at 150-300 for all versions of Command Turret, or remove the version MK2 and later from the tech tree.