Letting fortresses be built next to each other?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Should we be able to build fortresses right next to each other?

Yes.
64%
No.
36%

Total votes: 33

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Letting fortresses be built next to each other?

Post by Zarel »

So currently, we can't build fortresses next to each other. I recently learned that this is pretty easy to fix, and the rest of the game's been going in this direction, we may as well change this, too. Thoughts?
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Re: Letting fortresses be built next to each other?

Post by Kacen »

Seemed to me fortresses were counted by the game as buildings not defenses, seeing as how they're terrain limited like buildings and this.

I'm not so much opposed to this...why not make it so you can build any buildings next to each other?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Because then bases would be ugly. D:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I suspect there is a good reason why Pumpkin made the fortresses into "doors", although I can't tell what the reason would be right now. At the very least, test this very carefully before changing it.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Per wrote:I suspect there is a good reason why Pumpkin made the fortresses into "doors", although I can't tell what the reason would be right now. At the very least, test this very carefully before changing it.
What do you mean by "doors"?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:I suspect there is a good reason why Pumpkin made the fortresses into "doors", although I can't tell what the reason would be right now. At the very least, test this very carefully before changing it.
Probably the same reason they didn't let players build base structures next to defenses at first. The view that players are morons, and would probably accidentally wall themselves in. They eventually changed the no-base-structures-next-to-defenses rule, so I'm guessing this one is worth changing as well.

Well, then there's the other reason that structures that deform terrain can't be placed next to each other. We should probably check to make sure changing it from DOOR to DEFENSE stops it from deforming terrain, but it should in general be fine.

For the record, I think building rearm pads next to each other is far worse of a change (and that was done with no discussion whatsoever).
Kacen wrote:What do you mean by "doors"?
Fortresses have the structure-type DOOR, which means, among other things, they can't be built next to each other.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

That change is implented into my mod and it all looks great,there are no problems with it ,it doesn't deforms terrain(it modifies it's height,it sometimes grows to height 4-5,what happened when you built LasSat next to cliff)

And,by the way,I think that LasSat shouldn't be treated as defence,that is an important structure.

If you want that change right now,try my mod: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3828
Last edited by KukY on 25 Sep 2009, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote: For the record, I think building rearm pads next to each other is far worse of a change (and that was done with no discussion whatsoever).
Erm, how so?

It doesn't cause any issues, especially when you consider you made it so vehicles could drive over them (they are flat after all.)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Kacen wrote: It doesn't cause any issues, especially when you consider you made it so vehicles could drive over them (they are flat after all.)
Actually, the reason vehicles can drive over them, and that they don't have terrain-deforming issues, is because they are no longer to flat (they deform to terrain).
Powzone
Trained
Trained

Post by Powzone »

Well 8 out of 8 say "Yes" right now. Me too!! ;)

In the end, they are defences and all other defences can be build next to each other. :)
Arch / Intel Core i9 12900 / 32GB RAM / NVidia RTX2070 Super
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

9 of 9 ;)
wari
Trained
Trained

Post by wari »

I think it would potentially make defenses way to powerful, so that would have to be offset by increasing the cost. More importantly, the Ai should be tested to see if they don't make a huge mess of their base with it as well.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

wari wrote:I think it would potentially make defenses way to powerful, so that would have to be offset by increasing the cost. More importantly, the Ai should be tested to see if they don't make a huge mess of their base with it as well.
Well,AI always makes 1 of a type of fortress,so I think that AI will make a loads of them after this change.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

wari wrote:I think it would potentially make defenses way to powerful, so that would have to be offset by increasing the cost. More importantly, the Ai should be tested to see if they don't make a huge mess of their base with it as well.
Not really. Fortresses are slightly lower damage/area ratio than four separate hardpoints.
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

Zarel wrote: Actually, the reason vehicles can drive over them, and that they don't have terrain-deforming issues, is because they are no longer to flat (they deform to terrain).
I meant flat in the literal, visual sense. I thought it was smart making it so they didn't obstruct a vehicle's path because honestly visually it looks like a vehicle could drive over them.