Mini-pods that can attack VTOLs?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

Mini-pods (both turrets and towers) should be able to attack...

...ground units only.
26%
...either ground units or air units.
74%

Total votes: 27

Crushy
Trained
Trained

Re: Mini-pods that can attack VTOLs?

Post by Crushy »

No no no, not mini-pods. Mgs, lancers and all other rapid rof/seeking weapons should have a limited ability to engage vtols.

Key work being LIMITED, we don't want to make AA and VTOLs completely useless.

Edit: Also, I've never heard of unguided rockets being used to shoot down aircraft. Not even relatively slow things like helicopters.
Current status: Sick and Learning to model in blender. Failing at both.
Verdyck
New user

Post by Verdyck »

Huey's getting caught in RPG-fire in the Vietnam-era. That was a clear example. Some German 88 mm guns were dual purpose. They were excellent anti-tank weapons and excellent FLAK units. Ask Rommel. But those 88'guns shot plains down 4-5 km high, which in the warzone-game is quiet unfeasable. Later when planes started flying at enormous altitudes and at enormous speeds. They became obsolete.

VTOL's in warzone are a quiet unbalanced component of you compare them to the game's artillery and tank-units in general i think. The main problem is that in the game, VTOL's are all very low flying objects. In reality, air-power is something which is entirely separated from operations on the ground.

That's why I think, you should leave the air-component of warzone as a category of its own. In modern times there are almost no (efficient) dualpurpose weapons in use.
Avestron
Trained
Trained

Post by Avestron »

Sounds like the simplest solution would be for VTOL propulsion to take a 25% hit to body points and see how the present balance works. I have no problem seeing a dozen vtols massacred by half a dozen AA sites in end-game.

I have a hunch - I'll look at the tables.
kipman725
Trained
Trained

Post by kipman725 »

mini pods are very underpowered although they do lead to lancers which are multiplayer death. I think in balance mini pods ONLY should be upgraded to hit aircraft.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Wz has large veraity of weapons so any step in balance couldbe as a step further & as a step back.
I vote for ground units only. cause not to risk much.(but if not it always can brought back)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

Why not every turret could attempt to target anything?

It would be a great way to integrate more realistic tactics, and twin assault-cannon could be replaced entirely by whirlwind.
Crushy
Trained
Trained

Post by Crushy »

Verdyck wrote:Huey's getting caught in RPG-fire in the Vietnam-era. That was a clear example. Some German 88 mm guns were dual purpose. They were excellent anti-tank weapons and excellent FLAK units. Ask Rommel. But those 88'guns shot plains down 4-5 km high, which in the warzone-game is quiet unfeasable. Later when planes started flying at enormous altitudes and at enormous speeds. They became obsolete.
The Huey's were victims of MASSED RPG fire in Vietnam and such. I'm no expert but I've also heard they were mostly shot down when landing (during combat drops and medevacs and such).

What both RPGs and flak 88s had in common though, was that they were not very effective. The flak in particular was huge and meant to reach strategic bombers at nearly unthinkable altitudes. Late in the war Japanese and German cities were getting bombed and there was nothing they could do since their airfields were gone and nothing in the ground was effective enough at shooting down bombers.

Comparably, modern planes are even worse at dodging bullets and they need a faster plane to crash into them in order to bring them down. We call these "guided missiles". ;)

The 88s being effective against ground targets is not surprising considering you need to achieve a lot of acceleration to travel up compared to travelling parallel to the ground. More acceleration = more speed = more energy put into the target. :3

Also, there are lot's of dual-purpose weapons today. Like the flack, it all depends on how you use them: Just because it's an AA missile it doesn't mean it can't cut up infantry nicely if you're desperate. Soviet RPGs have been used to kill enemy infantry (gives a new meaning to rocket propelled GRENADE). In ww2 the russians told infantry platoons to lie down in theirs backs and shoot at enemy planes with their rifles to serve as some sort of Anti-air (wish I could still find those photos...). Another thing that might interest you is that the British had 90mm flak guns, probably perfectly capable of penetrating a Tiger tank - as far as we know they were never used against ground targets.

TVR wrote:Why not every turret could attempt to target anything?

It would be a great way to integrate more realistic tactics, and twin assault-cannon could be replaced entirely by whirlwind.
I like the way you think. This would be perfect in my opinion. All we need to do is make sure they have prefered targets or we'll get people distracting your heavy cannons with fast-moving vtols
Current status: Sick and Learning to model in blender. Failing at both.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:How about giving all direct fire weapons the ability to shoot at VTOLs at significantly reduced accuracy? Then give AA type weapons a significant accuracy bonus.
You could exhaust long-reload-time weapons just by sending a little VTOL in. Not a good idea. Plus, it seems like it could be very annoying for many other reasons.
dragoncrusher wrote:does this mean a heavy cannon can shoot down a VERY FAST VTOL O.O

or a flamer can burn the vtol too O.O lol
No. Have you ever heard of a cannon or flamer tower? There are only six weapon towers (not counting Nexus Link, which I won't let target VTOLs since it would be useless; the VTOLs go too fast):

MG Tower
Mini-Rocket Tower
Lancer Tower
Needle Gun Tower
Pulse Laser Tower
Scourge Missile Tower

All of these could somewhat plausibly hit VTOLs; two of them already do (three, if I change mini-pods).
Terminator wrote:Wz has large veraity of weapons so any step in balance couldbe as a step further & as a step back.
I vote for ground units only. cause not to risk much.(but if not it always can brought back)
Boo! I'm ignoring anyone who disagrees for no other reason than "not to mess with the balance". Warzone's balance is a work in progress - whipper is fond of saying that, and he's right. I've made a ton of balance improvements from older versions to 2.2, and nearly everyone agrees they've made the game better.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Although I like the idea of Mini-pods serving as a sort of light AA, I wonder do they have the required range to do that? By the way: Do you think of changing them to AA altogether or allow them to target both air and grond units? The Poll sounds like the first...
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Corporal Punishment wrote:Although I like the idea of Mini-pods serving as a sort of light AA, I wonder do they have the required range to do that? By the way: Do you think of changing them to AA altogether or allow them to target both air and grond units? The Poll sounds like the first...
...erm, the poll phrases it as "either ground units or air units" - I tried that hard to make it sound like the second... what more am I supposed to do?

Mini-pods don't have nearly as much range as dedicated AA, but it's enough for light AA.
Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Guess the question has arisen from me beeing no native speaker with english than... Thanks for the clarification.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Post by Kacen »

I'm gonna go with no.

Unguided rockets are grossly ineffective at targeting fast-moving aircract.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Kacen wrote:I'm gonna go with no.

Unguided rockets are grossly ineffective at targeting fast-moving aircract.
I see your point.

But I'm wondering if "aircract" is some new-fangled slang I'm unfamiliar with referring to a VTOL that has a fuselage frame with hairline fractures or is it just simply one manned by a pilot with a drug problem ? ;)

Regards, whip O_o
milo christiansen
Regular
Regular

Post by milo christiansen »

whippersnapper wrote: But I'm wondering if "aircract" is some new-fangled slang I'm unfamiliar with referring to a VTOL that has a fuselage frame with hairline fractures or is it just simply one manned by a pilot with a drug problem ? ;)
I vote for "a pilot with a drug problem". :D
In general, if you see glowing, pulsating things in the game, you should click on them.
- Demigod Game Ganual