Mini-rocket ARTILLERY

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

What's a good new name for the mini-rocket artillery turret?

Mini-Rocket Artillery (don't change it)
23%
Mini-Rocket Array
35%
Mini-Rocket Battery
35%
other (specify below)
8%

Total votes: 40

Corporal Punishment
Trained
Trained

Re: Mini-rocket ARTILLERY

Post by Corporal Punishment »

Kenalclocks proposal is real neat. But If it has to be a descriptive designation soviet style and not a catchy NATO style name for Zarel, just go with ATMRP (Anti-tank Mini-rocket Pod) and ASMMRL (Anti-structure multiple Mini-rocket Launcher). This tells you exactly what they do and how they do it. Plus it sounds damn cool.
Qui desiderat pacem bellum praeparat
Flavius Vegetius Renatus, De re militari
TVR
Trained
Trained

Post by TVR »

kenalcock wrote:Launcher
This word launcher is commonly used in weapons classification. For example, the militaries of several countries have had some form of a Multiple Rocket Launcher (MRL).
Warzone 2100 reserves the term Launcher as a classification for direct-fire rocket and missile launcher turrets.

The indirect rocket turrets, Ripple and ArchAngel, are designated as Rocket Artillery.
Corporal Punishment wrote:... Well then, just go with current NATO nomenclature and call the Mini-rocket Array LARS (Light artillery rocket system) ...
MRA is an exception, it is both direct AND indirect.

It has no equivalent in 20th and 21th century weapons, but it appears to be a volley impact-grenade launcher.
Fire Truck
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fire Truck »

Katyusha would be good, who dosent know what one is
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Fire Truck wrote:Katyusha would be good, who dosent know what one is
Erm, practically everyone.
Lixtan
Trained
Trained

Post by Lixtan »

Who says the singular mini-rocket launcher can't be made to be an RPG instead? Because in all my experience in the military today, every RPG I know of is a direct fire weapon.

I mean it makes sense because then you wouldn't have to fool around with the term "mini" in rockets, and can remove this from the rocket classification all together, since it seems to be the odd-one-out and it's the smallest caliber rocket in the game anyway.

So therefore, I propose these names:

(For both the RPGLS and MLLRS, they might need a name too just to follow naming conventions of the rest of the self-propelled weapons systems. Perhaps the "Spearhead" RPGLS and the "Archer" MLLRS?)
Mini-rocket launcher -> Rocket Propelled Grenade Launch System; ("Spearhead") RPGLS

Mini-rocket artillery -> Multiple Launch Light Rocket System; ("Archer") MLLRS

Lancer rocket launcher -> Lancer Light Anti-tank Rocket System; "Lancer" LATRS

Bunker buster rocket launcher -> Bunker Buster Anti-Emplacement Rocket System; "Bunker Buster" AEMS

(Perhaps think of a new name in general for the tank killers and ripples because I don't like how they sound. It's not up to me though lol.)
Tank killer -> Tank Killer Medium Anti-tank Rocket System; "Tank Killer" MATRS

Ripple rocket launcher -> Ripple Multiple Launch Medium Rocket System; "Ripple" MLMRS

Scourge missile launcher -> Scourge Heavy Anti-Tank Missile System; "Scourge" HATMS

(It's been a while since I've been on these forums or played WZ so I'm assuming that the angel missiles were renamed to seraph missiles)
Seraph missile launcher -> Seraph Multiple Launch Light Missile System; "Seraph" MLLMS

Archangel missile launcher -> Archangel Multiple Launch Heavy Missile System; "Archangel" MLHMS

I suppose after this is done we'd need to change the AA missiles to follow these same naming conventions, because they, as well, are self-propelled weapons systems, but for the life of me I can't remember their names. It's simple, though. ("Name") Light/Heavy Anti-Air Missile Launch System (L/HAAMLS)
Zarel wrote:With Rman and TVR gone, we really do need someone who knows about military naming.
Well, friend, this can be my job now. :P After being a mechanic on helicopter platforms in the USMC, it comes naturally. It's mostly just terminology, though. Nothing fancy.

Anyway that was long-winded and nobody is probably going to like my idea, but hey. . I tried lol. At the very least I think making the singular mini-rocket system an RPG is a good call, because that removes the confusion. Thoughts?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Lixtan wrote:Who says the singular mini-rocket launcher can't be made to be an RPG instead? Because in all my experience in the military today, every RPG I know of is a direct fire weapon.
That might be a problem, since the MRL isn't. ;)

Remember, MRL and Mini-Pod are the same weapon subclass. Otherwise, renaming the mini-pod to an RPG would be a great idea; I've never liked the idea of "mini-rockets" either.
Lixtan wrote:I mean it makes sense because then you wouldn't have to fool around with the term "mini" in rockets, and can remove this from the rocket classification all together, since it seems to be the odd-one-out and it's the smallest caliber rocket in the game anyway.

So therefore, I propose these names:
They're nice, but I can't help but feel they're a bit heavy on the acronyms. I mean, acronyms are fine for upgrades (It's fun to say "HVAPFSDS"), but for weapon names, I can't help but feel they should be more descriptive. I understand that the military uses these kinds of acronyms a lot, but we have to balance between "accurate military parlance" and "accessible to players".

I mean, currently:

Lancer AT Rocket.
Tank Killer Rocket.
Scourge Missile.

Those say much more to me than "LATRS".

I mean, they might be useful for the rocket artillery, though, but let's keep them reasonably short. How's about something like:

Mini-Rocket MRL
Ripple LRML Rocket System
Seraph ML Missile System
Archangel LRML Missile System
Lixtan wrote:Well, friend, this can be my job now. :P After being a mechanic on helicopter platforms in the USMC, it comes naturally. It's mostly just terminology, though. Nothing fancy.

Anyway that was long-winded and nobody is probably going to like my idea, but hey. . I tried lol. At the very least I think making the singular mini-rocket system an RPG is a good call, because that removes the confusion. Thoughts?
Sounds nice.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

This game already has way too many funny acronyms. It is not a good way to make people understand what you mean, especially since practically nobody uses the intelligence dialog to read the component descriptions, and we have no useful description in tooltips.
Thyranim
Trained
Trained

Post by Thyranim »

Per wrote:especially since practically nobody uses the intelligence dialog to read the component descriptions
i do :D

but i know what you mean ... "HVAPFSDS" .... O_o

sometimes i thought of "weapon upgrade 1" would be easier to understand xD
Ceiling Cat
Trained
Trained

Post by Ceiling Cat »

Array. A battery I call a few arrays in one place.