Still no multiplayer save game ....

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Infidelus
Rookie
Rookie

Still no multiplayer save game ....

Post by Infidelus »

I've been a fan of Warzone since I originally bought the game way back when it originally came out ....

Since the demise of the original development team, it's been great to see that Warzone has lived on with this project. However ...

One feature that (from memory) was part of the game, is no longer there since Warzone has been re-imagined.

To some of you, it's probably a really minor feature, but for me and the group of people I play with, it's an absolute necessity.

Why isn't there a multiplayer save game anymore? I'm fairly sure it was there in the original game. I know multiplayer has been spotty in Warzone, which makes a save option an absolute must for this game.

While I appreciate a lot of you that network this game, do it pvp and get it over and done with in the shortest amount of time possible, I (and the aforementioned group I play with) don't. We play PvE ... us against the computer, and as these games usually run in excess of 4 hours, it's REALLY annoying when it either crashes and stops us completing the game, or someone has to go to bed/work/out ....

I apologise if there's a hidden save game setting that we haven't noticed, but if there isn't .... please, for the love of god, put one in there. The game is (imo) pointless without it.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Re: Still no multiplayer save game ....

Post by Terminator »

There is no multiplayer game save in original game(it was only in skirmish(vs. bots)).
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

- There was NEVER an MP Save in the original retail WZ 2100.

- In fact, there was a huge controversy over it in Pumpkin's BBs in 1999.

- Pumpkin flat out said they were NOT gonna be working on MP Save.

- Fans kept insisting and insisting..... too the point Pumpkin got annoyed enough to deleting a
thread about it. The ONLY thread they ever deleted.

- Within a few weeks once every one cooled down Pumpkin made a public apology for deleting
the thread on MP Save but repeated that it was NOT on their development road map.

- Regards, whipper (I was there and part of the controversy.)
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
Infidelus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Infidelus »

Well, without insalling the original again and testing, I can't refute you. And as that would involve building a crappy old machine with a crappy old OS on, I'm not going to :)

My point, however, remains valid.

I'm not really interested in playing the campaign. Played it to death years ago.

I AM however interested in multiplayer with my friends. The fact that you can't save a multiplayer game makes it virtually pointless even installing (and I do want to play it).

There's nothing more annoying than the game crashing three hours in (as did last night to a friend, and the reason for this rant) and having to start all over again. I don't have endless hours to game, and Warzone crashing and not being saveable just wasted those three hours of my life ... and not for the first time. The network code is definitely way more stable now, a far cry from the last time I tried when it died within an hour every time, but without this (again IMO) absolutely essential feature, it's just another game that will unfortunately (no matter how good it is) go the way of the dodo.

I can't believe I'm the only person that wants this feature (well I know I'm not), and the fact that you're trying to bring the game back and get more people playing it should make it at least worth looking at.

Rant over
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Once I'm done with my rewrite of the player indexing code, adding a multiplayer save feature should not be so hard. If we can speed up saving to the point where we can have automatic saves while playing, this would not only make it easy to resume a game when it crashes, but also give very nice savegames for reproducing and debugging crashes, if the crash persists after loading.
Infidelus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Infidelus »

Good to hear

Look forward to hopefully seeing something in a future version :)
computerkidt
New user

Post by computerkidt »

So any progress on this?