Some more music I've made...

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: Some more music I've made...

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote: Derivative works require permission from the original copyright holder. So that is not feasible.
* Well, it's definitely NOT that cut & dry - the edicts of GPLers notwithstanding.

* Indeed there are colossal & vast exceptions by copyright LAW itself: I wants to edumacate myself on this high-fulutin stuff

* It would also be NO stretch for this project to legitimately qualify under those exceptions if certain simple protocols are followed.

Have a swell day, rv :)

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Rman - why are you linking to a page that explains copyright law for musical educators? There are exceptions (for example parody), but unless you know what you are doing, you may get angry lawyers coming after you. Artists are often touchy about derivative works. I would not recommend it.
"Make a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day. Set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

Per wrote: Rman - why are you linking to a page that explains copyright law for musical educators? There are exceptions (for example parody), but unless you know what you are doing, you may get angry lawyers coming after you. Artists are often touchy about derivative works. I would not recommend it.

* 'Cause this is all about learning (aka education, which can be formalized as part of basic mission statement & non-profit formal standing) & of course, having fun in the process. Heck, there is no good reason ALL learning, instituitional & otherwise, should be anything but fun.... just the retention factor alone is persuasive.

* In other words, not only can the letter of the law support such an effort or approach (if the effort is framed accordingly) but just as important, all the case law (ajudicated decisions) will dissuade any attorney in their right mind... & if not, the judge will dismiss in the first premotion and that insane attorney will not only lose their rep but will also be exposed to liability themselves !!!

* The "angry lawyers" come after you when there is "lost revenue" issues.... & those are non-existent in this case.

* In the case of "parody".... your not entirely safe from 'actionable libel' suits.

* As far as artists being 'touchy' about derivatives.... they are if no proper acknowledgment is given the original work.... or, once again, if the derivative work negatively impacts their 'cash-flow'. Baring those 2 consequences, artists are tickled-pink with derivatives - 'cause it brings renewed attention to the originals and even new revenue as a direct result of that attention given the originals - plus its flattering to boot.

* Even with all that said, I'll concede your points are still valid, Per. :)

Cheerio, rv :D

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

why is it that one slab of rock is so afraid of the L word and the other slab of rock isnt?? >:(

it all leads to:

aarrgghh!!!

so forget the music and the fmv stuff.  it will not ever be done due to fear about the frigging laws of stupid rocks. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.