Partially Built Structures

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.

How would you like the HP of a partially built structure to behave?

It should start at full HP
4%
It should start at 1 HP and slowly go up according to the build progress
43%
It should start at a percentage of the full health and then go up with the build progress
53%
It should do something else (please post your proposal)
No votes

Total votes: 47

gerard_
Trained
Trained

Partially Built Structures

Post by gerard_ »

I got annoyed by the AI spamming buildings in its base while I was destroying it. It took the AI 1 sec to place a building, and I would be destroying it for 20 seconds. I currently have a patch to start them at 1 HP and it seems to work fine. The patch can be found here: http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/173
Kreuvf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Partially Built Structures

Post by Kreuvf »

"Partially built structure" in this case refers to structures that have not yet 100% of the required power, right?
gerard_
Trained
Trained

Post by gerard_ »

No, I'm concerned about the phase where all power is already accrued and the building itself is constructed.
Misthafalls
Trained
Trained

Post by Misthafalls »

This is a great suggestion, so i say start from one to full :)
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Another related proposal: PowerUsage.
Misthafalls
Trained
Trained

Post by Misthafalls »

Thats a great proposal, I wish I could help, but I more of a java person then c and c++ (still busy with those :P)
ThunderBuns
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ThunderBuns »

A percentage would be best. 1HP would be too much in the favor of the enemy.

Say you had one lowly MG vehicle scurry into the enemy base. He could thwart any attempts at making a building even with his extremely low damage, and make the enemy waste all of their power. If it were at a percentage, he'd have to be there a while to finally destroy it, but by then he probably would have been killed by the defenses. And if it's a high powered Heavy Cannon vehicle or similar, you're screwed either way.

Just my two bits.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Would build points be separate from body points? Would damaging an under-construction structure decrease the build points and increase the amount of time left to finish construction?
Raem_Lylar
Trained
Trained

Post by Raem_Lylar »

gerard_ wrote:I got annoyed by the AI spamming buildings in its base while I was destroying it. It took the AI 1 sec to place a building, and I would be destroying it for 20 seconds. I currently have a patch to start them at 1 HP and it seems to work fine. The patch can be found here: http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/173
How do i install patches? Or is it already committed to the trunk?
(i have TRUNK-r6425)
Main: Arithyce
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

hmm then i'd like to have a feature to set for example 60% of the power to buildings, 20% to production and 20% to research.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

I'm not sure what you mean by "A visible effect of this might be that a building that was shot at once at the beginning of the construction might get back on schedule HP wise. I don't think this is a problem and might even be realistic" in your patch.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

I voted for > It should start at a percentage of the full health and then go up with the build progress.

But wants to extend a little:
It should start at a percentage of the full health and if someone shoots at building so dealed damage transfer to building in same percentage in built structure. (like in warcraft3)
exempl: full HP of building is > 100. When it it prossece it has 50 hp.... Enemy dealed 10hp damage. So when structure will be ready it would have 80hp.(of all 100hp)

Its like an effect of increased damage.
Hope you like it =)
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
i-NoD
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by i-NoD »

Terminator wrote: But wants to extend a little:
It should start at a percentage of the full health and if someone shoots at building so dealed damage transfer to building in same percentage in built structure.
I think the whole idea is to make a structure under construction easier to destroy, so making partial damage to partially built structure is not an option, since it'll take same time to destroy building as if you are doing full damage to fully-healthed structure.

Btw, I wasn't able to compile that patch under MSVC08, since there is no standard round() function in MSVC. :(
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Another issue is that unlike other games, in Warzone, all the power to build a structure is spent when the structure begins construction. So if a structure is destroyed when 20% done, 100% of its power is lost, as opposed to 20% in most other RTSes with partial HP during building.

I think the best way to implement this would be to start the structure off with 20% to 40% HP.

Note: Another reason why partially built structures are so annoying is because they have ridiculously high HP. Try destroying a hardpoint in campaign versus in MP. You don't need lots of experience to notice that it's much harder in MP - campaign (1.10) hardpoints have 400 HP, while MP hardpoints have 1300 HP.