interface proposal

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
elio
Regular
Regular

Re: interface proposal

Post by elio »

there will be tool-tips
i was editing that post, but i'll post it standalone..
I like that one a lot, but shouldn't there be a button or other easy to understand way to switch between the commander interface and the standard interface
yes, i was thinking of that, but no solution atm (which fits in nicely)
what does the statistics chart in the rightmost 3rd row mean
give unit multiple orders (now reachable by ctrl-click...)
what are the differences between the standard crosshair and the one seen from perspective in the second row?
yes this isn't obvious at all. it's called 'zone attack' or something else. it means you can specify a zone (example a circle around a oil well with defenses) and it will crush everything down (and keep down) just an idea, don't know how useful it is (perhaps for vtols)
-> this is only for commanders / vtol groups i think we should give them more advantages

additional explanation for upper menu:
  • The small arrows around are to collapse/expand the user interface, currently everything is expanded
  • There will be a lot more buttons, last time i counted 27 (without formations buttons),
  • The Buttons around the tank can be replaced by any of 'Commander Settings' (yes it should be a commaner in this picture)
  • The Horizontal Bar contains the following informations:
    • Short Name / Type / Primary Weapon or Whatever
    • Star means the commander group belonging to. you can change it by clicking and select the group. (now it's the commander itself, so not editable)
    • Hexagon means a normal Group. (because you can group two commanders togheter)
    • 3 times factory tank -> destroyed tank: this indicates a supply mode where 3 factories are responsible to care about that the commander always have enough units. if a assigned unit dies, exact the same unit will be ordered at the nearest idle factory (when not idle, these orders have priority to manual production orders)
    • how many ground units (= tank, hover, ships), artillery, vtols, civil (= repair) are assigned, clicking on it will select them. (we should look for a mode where you can move the assigned units aroudn without deassigne them (to place them better)
  • the scroll buttons will disappear when enough space (now they should be disappeared

i hope i could explain it a bit :) , any questions, suggestions, opinions: just post
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

but imho the devs have much harder and nasty work than me, they have to dig through tons of spaghetti code but i can work from ground up. don't forget the hard work behind the surface
absolutely the truth and best to hold uppermost in mind. i can also tell you exactly where the greatest code
challenge in all this will end up.
Olrox
Art contributor

Post by Olrox »

Hmm... Is there any way to get team-colored menus? or some in-game option to change the color. Should need multiple files, but I think it would look very nice.
The aspect of the interface is awesome. The only thing I think shouldn't be there are the numbers on the power meter, though. If they don't adapt themselves to power levels higher than 1000, I think they're not quite useful, taking on consideration the evident total number. The "800" in the latest screenshot is mispositioned, also.
I do appreciate your work very much. If we continue like that, we'll get some competitor no C&C 3: Tiberium Wars really soon. :ninja:
Ok, we'll not xD
but the game is getting better everyday, anyway!
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

The only thing I think shouldn't be there are the numbers on the power meter, though. If they don't adapt themselves to power levels higher than 1000, I think they're not quite useful, taking on consideration the evident total number. The "800" in the latest screenshot is mispositioned, also.
of course they adapt, everthing is scripted
hmm, ok, i'll overthink it
Is there any way to get team-colored menus?
it should possible
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Wow. The new icons are awesome!
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

There will be a lot more buttons, last time i counted 27 (without formations buttons),
will formations be built out of the commander group slaved units mechanic ?
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

whippersnapper wrote:
There will be a lot more buttons, last time i counted 27 (without formations buttons),
i'll take the passage of time as a - "i no have the foggiest notion." it's kwel. no doubt, more than one way to go about it. i'm satisfied for now with one way to do it that works. :ninja:
"I need no warrant for being, and no word of sanction upon my being. I am the warrant and the sanction." Anthem

"Art is the selective recreation of reality according to the artist's metaphysical value judgments." A. Rand
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

whippersnapper wrote:
sorry, for not answering your question, yeah i think only commander should support formations. commander turrets should have more and more advantages
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

I think minimap should be more detailed and units should be as circles on the minimap. :-)
manaze
Trained
Trained

Post by manaze »

thats awesome
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

Will this be actuly used?

It's a really good upgrade
Last edited by Slye_Fox on 30 Oct 2008, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

yes, it's intended to be, but time is precious, so progress is "slow"
manaze
Trained
Trained

Post by manaze »

please make this. by the way, ur always afk on xfire.
qubodup
Trained
Trained

Post by qubodup »

hey ello, great that you want to pretty wz up :)

Currently I'm only suspicious towards the main 6 icons. The shading in them I don't like at all. I can't get my finger on it though, I'll have to look and compare them to the current ones some more

If it's not a big deal for you, it would be helpful if you posted in a before-after scheme, where you have two screens and one shows some controls in the old style and the other shows the same controls in the new style.

Also: for inspiration, check out FreeOrion's awesome icons!

PS: the sidebar notifications I don't like, because information should not be only shown when you hover your mouse over it. I think they are good at the top and adding icons to them would do the trick.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

well, I like it ;)
Attachments
game interface-compared.png