research lab in development

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Re: research lab in development

Post by Deus Siddis »

elio wrote:there are some edges which appear grey instead of green. and take a look at the sphere the version with black lines.
Yeah, you just need to draw on the texture, wider margins beyond the outer borders of the UV patches.

Otherwise even using a 3d file type that stores coordinate details three places right of the decimal mark, you'll see this same problem when the engine starts using mipmapping (assuming it doesn't already). In fact, even looking up close (to elimate mipmapping) at the research facility model in blender (which also uses opengl for realtime rendering), I see the grey edges in the green that you mention. So it might not have as much to do with the PIE format, as evil an abomination as PIE be.

Note: If you want to see how your models look in blender in realtime to test how they look in what should be a much more recent version of opengl or just to get around the content pipeline hassel, switch to texture paint mode, or if you want to see your model textured while lit with only ambient light (similar to how it will look in current warzone) use textured shading (alt-z).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

elio wrote: PS: it seems the PIE format with it's integer values doesn't give sufficient precision
Have you tried using floating point values in the PIE file? It should work.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Per wrote: Have you tried using floating point values in the PIE file? It should work.
ah, i didn't know that. i'll update the converters then
Deus Siddis wrote: Note: If you want to see how your models look in blender in realtime to test how they look in what should be a much more recent version of opengl or just to get around the content pipeline hassel, switch to texture paint mode, or if you want to see your model textured while lit with only ambient light (similar to how it will look in current warzone) use textured shading (alt-z).
i know
Yeah, you just need to draw on the texture, wider margins beyond the outer borders of the UV patches.
this isn't sufficient, look at the green colours
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

elio wrote:this isn't sufficient, look at the green colours
Yes I am looking at the green color areas of your texture, with the UV geometry on top of it, in blender's uv editor. And I see that the grey areas of the texture are intruding on the uv polys that would otherwise (and should be) entirely green. This is causing the problems that you are seeing.

You should group together the uv geometry of the areas that should be like colored.

Or move the uvs of the uv geometry that should be painted grey further away from adjacent uv geometry that should be painted green, to create margin zones. Then paint out the green areas half way into these margins between the green and grey parts of the model.

Your current uv layout has some wide margins between grey geometry and grey geometry, but often no margin between grey geometry and green geometry.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

Deus Siddis wrote: Yes I am looking at the green color areas of your texture, with the UV geometry on top of it, in blender's uv editor. And I see that the grey areas of the texture are intruding on the uv polys that would otherwise (and should be) entirely green. This is causing the problems that you are seeing.
You should group together the uv geometry of the areas that should be like colored.
Or move the uvs of the uv geometry that should be painted grey further away from adjacent uv geometry that should be painted green, to create margin zones. Then paint out the green areas half way into these margins between the green and grey parts of the model.
Your current uv layout has some wide margins between grey geometry and grey geometry, but often no margin between grey geometry and green geometry.
it's a lot more easier using floating point precision. i won't do a workaround because it's a waste of time ;)
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Per wrote:Have you tried using floating point values in the PIE file? It should work.
What exactly are floating point values?
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

integer: -4, -2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
floating point: -31.2232, 1.34234234, 2.23423, 3.2342, 123123.23123123
doom3r
Regular
Regular

Post by doom3r »

Floating point values are simply point values which support decimals (3.14 for example), while integer don't (1, 2, 3). Using them in this case gives more precision.
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

Ah, right, I see, Pie slicer only works with integers, I think it crashes with floating points. It crashes when you try to load your HQ, elio.

Code: Select all

First-chance exception at 0x7c812aeb in PIESlicerDX.exe: 0xC000008F: Floating-point inexact result.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Deus Siddis
Trained
Trained

Post by Deus Siddis »

elio wrote:it's a lot more easier using floating point precision. i won't do a workaround because it's a waste of time ;)
Well when you get the time to test it then, I'd be interested to see how floating point uv coordinates worked on this issue.

For future works though, you might consider using margins or color groupings as a future proof against later mipmapping use.[/broken record]