That little bucket of ideas.....

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Re: That little bucket of ideas.....

Post by themousemaster »

DevUrandom wrote: B is allready implemented. :) (Credits go to Watermelon.)
You can now move out of the way of an incoming projectile, so the speed of the unit directly affects it's dodging abilities.
Oh.  I didn't know; I had said in anothe thread that I hadn't downloaded the 2.x version yet, and you had set to put it off for a few weeks as a new RC was going to be released... is it?  I want to try this out ;p
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Er, yes... But someone figured out that we forgot to send the letter to Eidos... :(
I will try to get that done (write a letter) ASAP, probably on the weekend. And I guess I will release 2.0.5 on christmas, not waiting for any answer. Instead I'll send them also an email, so they can quickly engage if they have any objections.
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

Some ideas too ...

Programs :

- Configuration tool to simplify resolution changing / mods / graphics / Fullscreen
- Internet Server (like TA Spring or, why not, like Boneyard for Total annihilation with great battle to control a big map)
- LAN Server (again like TA Spring)

Gameplay :

- A mods with Units already built for fast action
- Robot as Metal fatigue : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Fatigue (which permit construction of "Mechs")
- Zoom increase (Supreme commander and TA Spring)
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

Another idea (more realizable :)), when double click on a unit, select all unit of the same type (body / weapon / propulsion) or same function (builder / radar ...).
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

Galaad wrote: Some ideas too ...
Programs :
- Configuration tool to simplify resolution changing / mods / graphics / Fullscreen
Gameplay :
how many times during a game do you change your resolution?  you can always have several desktop shorcuts - for any resolutions your wanting.

as for units ready to go and cause lots of fun... just ask your friendly map maker... the units can be placed on the map - ready to go same as trucks etc.... you dont need a mod for this.
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

Configuration tool is just more user friendly for beginners ... I use shortcut but others users ?

For the mod, it's just a suggestion, Warzone 2100's games are long (....tech tree), why not making a mod with 2 (or more) camps with fixed units to make fast games ?
lav_coyote25
Professional
Professional

Post by lav_coyote25 »

you have a map you would like to have some units on?? let me know. ;D
‎"to prepare for disaster is to invite it, to not prepare for disaster is a fools choice" -me (kim-lav_coyote25-metcalfe) - it used to be attributed to unknown - but adding the last bit , it now makes sense.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

Galaad wrote: - Configuration tool to simplify resolution changing / mods / graphics / Fullscreen
depending on the way mods are used, this might be a good idea, though with all likely, mods could just have priority based on the order they're specified.

honestly, though, adding a tool that sets simple command line options doesn't help anyone in any way except to stay computer illiterate. if you want to make that tool, i'm sure a whole lot of people will like it, but anyone who is capable of programming such a tool is more than capable of using the command line args with great ease, and thus is probably a really low priority for any one who uses it. beyond that, concievably a lot of people who are coming to warzone are doing so because it's foss, and the people who most quickly find out about foss are the people who use a lot of foss, such as linux users: i pity any linux user, and to some extent, and mac user who doesn't have at least some familiarity with the command line (this applies to windows users as well, but to a much lesser extent since they're pretty much stuck with dos).

the best thing beginning users can do for themselves is take 3 minutes and learn how to use basic commands and args. if they never are able to learn that, then they should never expect they'll be able to use a computer with more proficiency than an infant can use a television: for many people, that's the ideal (needing to know absolutely nothing about computers), but on the other hand, simply downloading and "installing" warzone, not to mention the very concept of "screen resolution" is considered by many computer users to be more advanced a concept than is command line usage.
Galaad wrote: Gameplay :

- Robot as Metal fatigue : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Fatigue (which permit construction of "Mechs")
- Zoom increase (Supreme commander and TA Spring)
fast action (death match) style games would be fun -- it'd allow you to focus solely on tactics.

metal fatigue is a great game, and the combat system is something i've yet to see matched in any kind of rts, or just about any other genre for that matter. if such things could be applied to close quarters combat among infantry as well, a lot of players would show up in a game with a mouse in one hand and popcorn in the other.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

Galaad wrote: Another idea (more realizable :)), when double click on a unit, select all unit of the same type (body / weapon / propulsion) or same function (builder / radar ...).
Actually double-click works in original wz,it's unfinished in WRP,because the key state should be a bitfield not a variable,since there can be more than 1 state at 1 time,besides,there isnt a double-click mouse event in SDL(you have to implement it manually via a 'hack'(a fixed timer between 2 single click events))

Here is the patch to re-add double click to the game,it would be great if someone could find a better approach to do such a 'timer' and re-submit this patch.(currently using gerard_'s number of frames counter idea)
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
DRIES
New user

Post by DRIES »

Cyborgs on 4 feet like in starwars ImageImage
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Post by commondragon »

That could only be done if tehre were train dogs/wolves or something, but alas, the nuclear winter whiped them all out.
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)
Slye_Fox
Trained
Trained

Post by Slye_Fox »

commondragon wrote: but alas, the nuclear winter whiped them all out.
I don't recall that being said anywhere in the game or manual, or even by the developers.
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I don't see why cyborgs on 4 feet should be impossible because there are no wolves or dogs in the game. I think a 4-leg propulsion should do the trick.
commondragon
Trained
Trained

Post by commondragon »

Slye_Fox wrote: I don't recall that being said anywhere in the game or manual, or even by the developers.
*AHEM* We all know as common knowledge that the only things that would survive a nuclear winter is

A. Future people
B. Cockroaches
C. Twinkies
WE ARE IDEA! WE ARE UR FUEL! DONT.....FORGET US! (bad song I know ^^)
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

quadrupedal cyborgs aren't difficult from a mechanical perspective, but considering the implications involved when the synaptic link tech is factored in, it certainly becomes non-trivial.

in other words, to allow for direct control, you need to heavily condition the occupant to either:
  • learn to use 2 extra legs, and learn to accept sensory feedback from those extra legs. this would presumably be a few orders of magnitude more difficult than learning to wiggle a single toe without moving the others, especially if you have already conditioned yourself to utilize bipedal locomotion, though, this would allow, by far, for the most control. this may or may not be possible at all, and if it is possible, it might require overrides of other signals (each of the extra feet might be controlled by signals targeted at controlling a couple of the fingers).
  • couple the synaptic link technology with really advanced software that intercepts signals intended for leg and foot muscles. this can be implemented in at least two ways
    • the occupant has direct control of the front legs, while a computer system controls the rear legs as well as possible to keep them from slowing down or encumbering the movement of the cyborg as a whole. since the front legs would likely be oriented and positioned much differently then a human would be used to, substantial conditioning would be required for the occupant to adjust to movement in this fashion.
    • a computer could intercept and articulate all four feet based on input from the occupant -- the occupant would simply be "walking" as normal (mentally). while this would not require any conditioning, the occupant would probably be quite confused, as the movements their virtual legs are performing would have no appearant relation to those carried out by the computer. also, there would be no useful level of control in this form
in all cases above, the occupant would likely be very disoriented when getting out of a quad-cyborg after long periods of use, and vice versa with long periods of non-use, and beyond that, it's likely that no great proficiency could be maintained without being forced into muscle-relaxed sleep upon exit of the quad-borg.

given the downsides of having to adapt to quadrupedal movement, and the obvious conflict between that and normal bipedal movement (extremely drunk people would probably look graceful compared to a quad-borg occupant getting out of their suit), quadruped vehicles are probably best left for remote bots controlled via joystick, keyboard, and voice input -- aside from the possibility of increased speed, the major advantage to quadruped cyborgs is stability (being less likely to fall over), though in reality, it'd be no more stable than a biped cyborg that has a powerful stabilization gyro somewhere inside the torso.

also, to relieve any possible confusion, the at-at in starwars is definitely *not* a cyborg, nor is its at-st cousin -- they could be cyborgs, but only if they were fused with the pilot in some way -- in the case of a vehicle, this pretty much means that the movement of the vehicle would be directly controlled via the pilot's mind.