French langage

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: French langage

Post by DevUrandom »

On the former: WZ doesn't come in german or anything else than english.
We currently don't have any implementation to be able to support more than one language dynamically.
What we could think of is letting the user choose one language in the Windows installer (and maybe have an additional "language-pack" on Linux and others). We can think about that for 2.1. But it would need language files in those languages, of course. And of course those files are _not_ allowed to be from the original (1.x) Warzone (eg. from the CD)!! Those files don't belong to us and thus we are not allowed to modfiy or distribute them or parts of them. It must be a completely own community translation. (I'd hand the new files over to someone owning the eg. french version of the game to compare them with the original, so we won't get into problems here.)

For the latter: http://wz2100.net/wiki/faq#i_have_the_r ... om_the_cds
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I'm from Belgium and I speak dutch, but I wouldn't want a dutch version from the game... English is fine for me, I think we should rather concentrate on improving the game itself.
But if someone comes up with a good translation... Why not.
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

not quite accurate in all cases... if you have a legit copy of warzone 2100, you're allowed to use any part of it to mesh with the gpl'd source code in any way you want (at least within the united states), as per the terms of fair use.

that's generally not helpful though, as we can't distribute anything.

the best thing is to retranslate those language files to be legit for redistribution: you seem much more than competent with the english language, ghost, and presumably you're fluent in french -- if you want to contribute, a retranslation would be best -- would probably be better than the original, as a lot of translations done for games are by native english speakers with the target language being their second language, though the reverse is preferable.
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

ratarf wrote: I'm from Belgium and I speak dutch, but I wouldn't want a dutch version from the game... English is fine for me, I think we should rather concentrate on improving the game itself.
But if someone comes up with a good translation... Why not.
Me too, but if we want more and more players play Warzone 2100, ports in other languages are interesting ...
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

well, great thing is, this being an open source project, there's no limit to what any one person can do: you might not find our dev's having time to translate the game into another language, but anyone else is more than welcome to do so: unless you were already planning on putting your time into other parts of the project, then you're not really detracting from improvement.
Galaad
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Galaad »

Exactly, improvement is more important than translation ....
kage
Regular
Regular

Post by kage »

not my point...
ratarf
Trained
Trained

Post by ratarf »

I think 90% of the gamers is satisfied with games in english. At least, 90% of the games I played in my life is in English, and it's not even an official language in my country.