Updated GPL release readme

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Updated GPL release readme

Post by jaywalker_eidos »

Warzone 2100 Source & Data
----------------------------------

This document replaces the file "readme.txt" as present in the Warzone 2100 GPL release on December 6th 2004.

1. These source and data files are provided as is with no guarantees:
* No assistance or support will be offered or given.
* Everything you will require to make a build of the game should be here. If it isn't, you'll have to improvise(*).
* None of us here at Pivotal Games are in a position to be able to offer any help with making this work.

2. Everything included (source code and data), as well as the not included videos and music, is released under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2 or (at your option) any later version.
Please be sure to read the entirety of this license, but the summary is that you're free to do what you want with the source subject to making the full source code freely available in the event of the distribution of new binaries.

3. Following exception to the GPL is granted:

Linking Warzone 2100 statically or dynamically with other modules is making a combined work based on Warzone 2100. Thus, the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License cover the whole combination.

In addition, as a special exception, the copyright holders of Warzone 2100 give you permission to combine Warzone 2100 with code included in the standard release of libraries that are accessible, redistributable and linkable free of charge. You may copy and distribute such a system following the terms of the GNU GPL for Warzone 2100 and the licenses of the other code concerned.

Note that people who make modified versions of Warzone 2100 are not obligated to grant this special exception for their modified versions; it is their choice whether to do so. The GNU General Public License gives permission to release a modified version without this exception; this exception also makes it possible to release a modified version which carries forward this exception.

4. Permission is granted to use the name "Warzone 2100", the logos, stories, texts and related materials.

5. Permission is granted to copy and distribute unaltered copies and/or images of the original game discs in any medium, provided that they are distributed free of charge and retain their original copyright and trademark notices.

Finally, the primary motivation for this release is for entertainment and educational purposes. On the subject of the latter, don't be surprised to see some pretty gnarly old-school C code in here; the game was a classic, but large areas of the code aren't pretty; OO design and C++ evangelists beware! We haven't spent any time cleaning the code or making it pretty - what you see is what you're getting, warts n' all.

Thank you to Jonathan Kemp of Eidos Europe for permitting the release. Thanks to Martin Severn for allowing to use his soundtrack. Thanks to Jason Walker for helping to facilitate the release of the movies and sound tracks, as well as clarifying the meaning of this license. Thanks also to Frank Lamboy for assistance with the release and for campaigning along with many many others over the years for the source to be made available. The correspondence, online petitions and persistence made this possible. We were constantly amazed at the community support for Warzone even after all this time; it's nice to be able to give something back, assuming you can get it to compile... ;-)

Original - 6th December 2004
Alex M - ex Pumpkin Studios (Eidos)

Amended - 10th June 2008
Jason W - Eidos
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Re: Updated GNU GPL

Post by Chojun »

Perhaps it should be mentioned that the GNU GPL is not the document being updated, but the readme accompanying the source, which explains the intent of the release and other additional requirements guidelines and exceptions.

At any rate, Mr. Walker we are all eternally indebted to you for your efforts ;)
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Chojun wrote:Perhaps it should be mentioned that the GNU GPL is not the document being updated, but the readme accompanying the source, which explains the intent of the release and other additional requirements guidelines and exceptions.

At any rate, Mr. Walker we are all eternally indebted to you for your efforts ;)
thought it says that it replaces the readme file.. or have i missed something :) or u meaning the thread name?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Awesome! xD
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Re: Updated GPL release readme

Post by DevUrandom »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:thought it says that it replaces the readme file.. or have i missed something :) or u meaning the thread name?
It does, I explicitly added that. :)
(I also updated the threadname now.)

Thanks for all your efforts!
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Per wrote:Awesome! xD
Just need to work out how to distribute this update to everyone :)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:
Will go by itself.

Rman just talked to me about this.
I do not think you have to inform anyone who distributes any derived sources of the original GPL release.
If we place that file into our next release and put an announcement on the frontpage of this website, I think that is enough.
You cannot physically replace the readme file, which is why I added the first paragraph to it.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

DevUrandom wrote:
jaywalker_eidos wrote:
Will go by itself.

Rman just talked to me about this.
I do not think you have to inform anyone who distributes any derived sources of the original GPL release.
If we place that file into our next release and put an announcement on the frontpage of this website, I think that is enough.
You cannot physically replace the readme file, which is why I added the first paragraph to it.
Great.. :)

Hehe so is this bye bye 30MB versions? ;)
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

jaywalker_eidos wrote:Hehe so is this bye bye 30MB versions? ;)
Indeed. Now we need to find a suitable distribution method, so we don't cut of our modem users. ;)
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

DevUrandom wrote:
jaywalker_eidos wrote:Hehe so is this bye bye 30MB versions? ;)
Indeed. Now we need to find a suitable distribution method, so we don't cut of our modem users. ;)
hehe.. good luck there ;)
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

*me goes shi- bricks* :3

Thanks to Jaywalker, Alex M., Rman, Grim, Per, EvilGuru, DevUrandom and anyone else :D
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

Kamaze wrote:*me goes shi- bricks* :3

Thanks to Jaywalker, Alex M., Rman, Grim, Per, EvilGuru, DevUrandom and anyone else :D
Ooh thought post had been removed but its moved to the top :)
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

And here for the guys who may want to print a poster of this :)
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
jaywalker_eidos
Trained
Trained

A poster? hehe would need a thin wall ;)
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Lets go get wasted!

Oh.. wait I have a maths exam tomorrow (A2), maybe not.

Regards, Freddie.