Graphics request: Warzone 2100 logo

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Graphics request: Warzone 2100 logo

Post by pettman »

I've finally gotten around to model a bit more, in the attachments are the most current version in 800x600. I've rendered it at 1600x1200 too and it can be found here.
Attachments
The logo in 800x600
The logo in 800x600
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

How about showing the following as a video file:

Focus on ICBM silo lid
Lid Opens
ICBM launch, camera tracks it upwards
Camera does a flyby view as ICBM passes up beside it
Cut to Earth orbit (remeber the silence of space - music would be allowed though :) )
Show warhead bus seperating from ICBM
Focus on a Futuristic(ish) city
show Warhead bus in-orbit for a bit, maybe having pulse-laser NASDA sats inert in background, or firing wildly and missing by huge margins each time
Cut back to warhead bus, show MIRVs seperating and re-entering the atmosphere
Ground camera, tracking MIRVs streaking in at hypersonic speeds towards city (look up peacekeeper ICBM test image on wikipedia for an example)
Several nuclear explosions (ground AND air-bursts)(Big flash, fade to white for a few seconds), and show numerous mushroom clouds
Focus camera towards pile of rubble, zoom through smoke and dust, show WZ 2100 logo partially obscured by debries (is that how you spell it?)
Debries falls away from WZ logo, showing ressurection part (ressurection part has 'active' circuits or lights glowing maybe?)
Camera zooms in greatly, zooming past the logo
Fade to black

Damn, i hate not being able to make videos or story boards...
Well, hopefully this could help, now i have a couple dozen ideas buzzing around my head.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

@NucNut: That would take me for ever to model and animate (partially because I've never done any animations and would have to learn a lot and partially because I'd loose interest every now and then which would put the project on a halt) and then I'd need a render-cluster the size of Siberia to render it.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

It's shaping up! :)

I like the way the bottomside of the letters is shiny metal, while the upper side is rusty. Looks cool somehow.
The rust needs to get a bit more rusty, but the way the lightning bolts stretch looks quite nice already. (There seems to be an issue with transparency though. The bolts over transparent background seem thicker than those over the letters.)
NucNut
Trained
Trained

Post by NucNut »

nah, that's just what i would LIKE to see. After creating, and stuffing up my Cam4: WA project, I KNOW how much work is needed to make good mods.
Oh well.

EDIT: fixed some grammar :D
Last edited by NucNut on 04 Jun 2008, 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

DevUrandom wrote:It's shaping up! :)

I like the way the bottomside of the letters is shiny metal, while the upper side is rusty. Looks cool somehow.
The rust needs to get a bit more rusty, but the way the lightning bolts stretch looks quite nice already. (There seems to be an issue with transparency though. The bolts over transparent background seem thicker than those over the letters.)
The rust definitely need some work. The lightning I'll leave as it is, the transparency issue doesn't show that much if you haven't got a white (or other bright) untextured background.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

I've taken some time to experiment with the rust, the result is attached, am I heading the right way?
Attachments
logo3_1.png
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

pettman wrote:I've taken some time to experiment with the rust, the result is attached, am I heading the right way?
TBH I liked the colours of the previous version more. (i.e. more orange than dark-brown.) It could perhaps even be a bit stronger than that. (i.e. more saturated colours.)

The edges of the rust could be a bit more fuzzy, and the rust ... could look a bit more rusty. It currently looks a bit flat and smooth, instead of carved and grainy.

The rest looks great!

So it is basically the texture on the "Warzone" that I think needs improvement.

Grim gave me a link to some textures that might fit: http://www.cgtextures.com/textures.php?t=browse&q=258
Though they are not CC or GPL, they might help to get some input.
Last edited by DevUrandom on 29 Jun 2008, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to example textures
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

I don't have the energy to do this right now so I'll upload the blend-files so someone else can finish if they want. I want some mentioning for tracing the text and what ever else of my work that is still used in the final product.
Attachments
wzlogo.tar.gz
the two latest versions of the blendfile.
(132.8 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

@devurandom: here is your requested svg, i played around with textures a bit i'll add the 3d later

http://www.darknews.com/?page_id=55
hmm, textures are from this site, so we can't use them in wz can we? ("...These (non-tiling) textures are free to use for both commercial and non-commercial purposes. However, these images are NOT for resale (i.e. CD Bundles, etc.)...")

@pettman: unfortunately i couldn't use any of your work (=traced text) because it was a polygon object and not a path, i believe it is possible if i had enough skills in blender.
so i've now traced the logo myself.
Attachments
warzonelogo.zip
warzone svg logo + textures
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
original file
original file
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

so here's the 3d file

if you want i could look for another resurrection font.
@devu: so does it fit in your secret purpose?
Attachments
warzone logo wallpaper version
warzone logo wallpaper version
wrp2.tif.zip
warzone logo BIG tif image
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 279 times
Chojun
Regular
Regular

Post by Chojun »

Now that's what I call *crisling* :P
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

elio wrote:if you want i could look for another resurrection font.
@devu: so does it fit in your secret purpose?
The font itself looks ok. It's just a little bit lost in the lightning.
-> How does it look if the lightning extends from the Resurrection to the Warzone 2100 in a few (just a few) cases? To move it a bit from just around the Resurrection, onto a larger area. To keep the overall light intensity, but move it from outshining the Resurrection text.
Would it look better if the Warzone 2100 was a bit wider / broader?
I'd perhaps reduce the rotation around the z-axis by a few degrees to increase readability. (Just a little bit.)
I am unsure how it would look on the background we discussed. Do we need to change the background colour? Or is it better to use brighter/stronger colours for the Warzone 2100? (I currently prefer that.)
These are of course all just some random thoughts by a non-artist. ;)

Btw: It is not 3D and SVG. If you enjoy it, sure we have use for an SVG as well. But if you get a better result out of Blender (currently I prefer the 3D solution), it is enough for me to get that.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

elio wrote:@pettman: unfortunately i couldn't use any of your work (=traced text) because it was a polygon object and not a path, i believe it is possible if i had enough skills in blender.
so i've now traced the logo myself.
On my machine it looks like a beizer-curve. :S
You might have gotten the roghly traced plane I was using to make the edges of the rust look a bit rougher.
elio
Regular
Regular

Post by elio »

updated version, hope you like it :)
Attachments
wrp6.tif.zip
wrp6 tif huge
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 290 times