Graphics request: Warzone 2100 logo

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Graphics request: Warzone 2100 logo

Post by Buginator »

pettman wrote: Should both the "metal" outline and the "fire" filling get rougher or just the filling?
How do you want the label coloured?
As for the lightning, it might be a bit hard to do.
EDIT: Some further tweaking can be seen here, as you can see the resurrection label is quite hard to read but I'm not sure what colour to make it.
I don't suppose you are using 3d model characters for this?
If you are... I could put it to good use, and we can have a little warzone intro when the game starts up.  Then all I need is some VTOLs flying around destroying the logo a bit, until it finally explodes into a shower of sparks.
:)

hmm, I just read:
DevUrandom wrote: Imagine this:

The "Warzone 2100" metal letter blocks lie there on the ground.
I have a "Resurrection" formed conductor/wire attached to a high voltage energy source.
Now I hold that "defibrilator" over the rusty metal letters to "revive" it. The lightning jumps from the conductor into the letters and perhaps makes them glow a tiny little bit. -> Warzone was revived.
So it sounds like he is doing something like that already, or wants to.

I will just crawl back into my hole. :-X
and it ends here.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

DevUrandom wrote: I thought "rough" like the logo I posted.
It looks to me as if it shows metal blocks representing letters, with rust on top. (If I see that correctly.)
That orange-brown thingy was rust? I thought it was fire and the lines around metal (looked a lot like it in the version you posted in the initial post). :S
Getting a rough border between the rust and shiny metal might be beyond me, but I'll give it a try.

Do you want the lightning to wrap itself around the resurrection text and arch out towards the warzone text? Some glow around the text shouldn't be too hard.
The physics geek in me start objecting to the defibrillator thing, electricity won't spread out over a surface it will arc between objects with different charge (if the charge has sufficient energy, voltage, to overcome the resistance).

Buginator, all of the text is made using blenders beizer curves (imported from svg) and it will show up in 3d, I've just chosen to render the scene using an orthographic camera (to make it easier to get a fully transparent background without using composition). If you want to try to make an animation with the VTOL:s you can have the .blend-file (at the moment I only model and I don't have the time to learn how to animate).
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

pettman wrote: That orange-brown thingy was rust? I thought it was fire and the lines around metal (looked a lot like it in the version you posted in the initial post). :S
Sorry, should have posted a better image. That one was the first (and for some time the only) one I found...
pettman wrote: Getting a rough border between the rust and shiny metal might be beyond me, but I'll give it a try.
I think some kind of alpha-mask might do the trick here. Maybe it can even be proceduraly generated?
pettman wrote: Do you want the lightning to wrap itself around the resurrection text and arch out towards the warzone text?
I have currently at least 2 visions:
- A "simple" glowing "Resurrection", with seperate lightning bolts "jumping" (if that is what you mean with "arch out") to the "Warzone 2100".
- A "Resurrection" consisting out of lightning, which spreads via bolts to the "Warzone 2100".
Though I think I better leave it to your artistic eye to shape the final image. :)
pettman wrote: The physics geek in me start objecting to the defibrillator thing, electricity won't spread out over a surface it will arc between objects with different charge (if the charge has sufficient energy, voltage, to overcome the resistance).
Hehe. ;)
pettman wrote: Buginator, all of the text is made using blenders beizer curves (imported from svg) and it will show up in 3d, I've just chosen to render the scene using an orthographic camera (to make it easier to get a fully transparent background without using composition). If you want to try to make an animation with the VTOL:s you can have the .blend-file (at the moment I only model and I don't have the time to learn how to animate).
I assumed Buginator had a scene rendered by Warzone itself in mind?

If I find time, and dont have to model or texture anything ;), I might even be able to try to get some basic animation done...
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

More jagged edges and (just for fun) same pic without orthographic camera. Is the position of the resurrection text good or do you want it somewhere else (dl the pic and paint out where you want it if that is the case)?

EDIT: Further work may be delayed due to problem with my graphics card (damn ATi).
Last edited by pettman on 11 May 2008, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

My idea was like this. (Note the new blue text.)
If you can't do anything at the moment, can you perhaps attach the .blend? I'd like to play a bit with it.
Attachments
logo3d.png
Last edited by DevUrandom on 14 May 2008, 13:59, edited 1 time in total.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

The blend is in the attachment. Your idea was like what? I can't see any picture or a link to one.

EDIT: Now I've got the comp working as it should again but I've got a horse-load of homework so I won't have time to model anyway. :(
Attachments
wzLogo.blend.tar.gz
(63.97 KiB) Downloaded 228 times
Last edited by pettman on 13 May 2008, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

Arg! Why did it have to be lightning? It's impossible to get it nice. :(
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Hm, ok...

Then think of something else that looks nice! :)
If it also looks like "resurrection", even better. :)
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

I'll give the lightning another go and let you have a look at it and if that isn't good enough I'll try something else.
I've made some modifications allowing one to render it without getting the box used to give the raytrace something to work on along in the picture (the text will look as though there is some environment around it but the environment itself won't show up=>transparent background)

EDIT: One lightning-bolt method I've tried, not quite real-looking though. Is it good enough?
Last edited by pettman on 16 May 2008, 20:52, edited 1 time in total.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

Looks similar to what I had in mind already. We are getting close. :)
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

DevUrandom wrote: Looks similar to what I had in mind already. We are getting close. :)
Is the way the effect look good? Should there be more lightning?
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Post by Kamaze »

I would like it in an Othogonal view.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
pettman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pettman »

Kamaze wrote: I would like it in an Othogonal view.
That can be done easily (unless I've messed up the ortogonal camera).

Edit: Orthogonal still works nicely.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

A little bit lighting and a little bit bigger Resrrection, I'd say. :)
Then you "just" need to polish and finalise it. ;)

And I do quite like the perspectivic view, I think.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

I am so lost in blender... :-[

Guess I'll stick to coding.  :D
and it ends here.