Classic Mode or Classic Mod?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Classic Mode or Classic Mod?

Post by Watermelon »

I think lots of wz players want a 'Classic' mode in 2.0.x,they want a wz with upgraded gfx/sound,but zero changes to gameplay/game mechanics.

I had discussed with Kreuvf and gerard_ and few others about this 'Classic' idea,seems there are 2 viable option to do this:

1.Classic mode:
Some customizable option(s) in multiplayer/skirmish menu to enable/disable the gameplay features we recently added.

2.Classic mod:
A separate .wz file with 1.10 data etc

Personally I am lean towards Classic mode,since the new binaries might not support old format data anymore.

I have experimented with 'Classic mode' a bit,I added an option in multiplayer/skirmish menu(currently it uses the text and image of 'fog option',you can find it at bottom-left of the skirmish/multiplay screen) to enable/disable the multiple turret feature I added,seemed work as intended:
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Re: Classic Mode or Classic Mod?

Post by Kamaze »

I think, this could be possible with over mods 2.1 (which needs some time).
Or later, if we have a 'stable' mod interface, model format and scripting language.

And i think it will be for sure happen! (to keep the original gameplay)
Last edited by Kamaze on 14 Nov 2006, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

My vote would be for a mod...

Dunno why 2.1 wont support the current data?
If you refer to my mail: I meant that I want to convert the metadata (eg .wrf, .lev, etc.) to a new format to support mods (and their dependencies) better. That wouldn't harm the current data as far as I thought of it till now.
What might be problematic would be old 3rd party maps/mods, but I could write some scripts to convert them.
Probably that could be done in Lua (which at that time will be embedded in WZ) so Warzone could do a on the fly conversion if it detects old mods (backup the old format mod and replace it with the new one). But this idea comes directly from utopia and depends tightly on the amount of time I have.
Watermelon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Watermelon »

I meant the changes to text files/source I made.

the format of few text data files are already changed,e.g assignweapons.txt:

old format:
[template name],[weapon],[player id]

new format:
[template name],[weapon1],[weapon2],[weapon3],[player id]

the loadSomestat function's 'scanf' is changed too,so the current cvs binary wont read 1.10 text data properly.
tasks postponed until the trunk is relatively stable again.
Troman
Trained
Trained

Post by Troman »

I vote for Mod. Such features should be data driven. It is easier to maintain and more elegant.

We will have to add new txt files to hold some additional settings, like number of kills necessary to advance to the next experience level, since this is gonna get changed for sure in the future.
Watermelon wrote: I meant the changes to text files/source I made.

the format of few text data files are already changed,e.g assignweapons.txt:

old format:
[template name],[weapon],[player id]

new format:
[template name],[weapon1],[weapon2],[weapon3],[player id]

the loadSomestat function's 'scanf' is changed too,so the current cvs binary wont read 1.10 text data properly.
We can fill unused weapon slots with 0's, the way it is done with other txt files.
?topic=1617.0
DevUrandom
Regular
Regular

Post by DevUrandom »

I agree with Troman. Old files can be converted.
I don't think anyone really wants to use the data from the original CD. They just want to have the same "things" in the game...