Should hosts be allowed to change maps for their lobby games?

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Should hosts be allowed to change maps for their lobby games?

Post by Forgon »

This is a survey.
You can answer "Yes" or "No", and explain your opinion if you like.

Current votes: Note that some of the evidence I post comes from "Green Room" posts, which you may not be able to read.

* will agree if the implementation is sufficiently improved
Last edited by Forgon on 10 Mar 2019, 20:56, edited 2 times in total.
Prot
Trained
Trained

Re: Should hosts be allowed to change maps for their lobby games?

Post by Prot »

+1 Should alllow, as i say in github
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

yes it would be very helpful to change the map after hosting has begun.

The reason is because as players join, they often discuss and would like to change the map. Especially when the map fills all spots and they were waiting for their friend to join. They either have to kick someone or re-host. This is a very common occurrence, it happens all of the time. Being able to change the map without rehosting would be very useful.
WZ2100ModsFAn
Trained
Trained

Post by WZ2100ModsFAn »

Yes. We should have that feature in 3.3.0 soon.
pastdue
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by pastdue »

So there are really two separate issues here:
  1. Is it useful for hosts to be able to change maps in the lobby for their games?
  2. Are there reasons this should not currently be implemented? / Are there other changes / improvements that need to be made to properly support this?
I think, undoubtedly, the answer to #1 is "yes, there are obvious situations where this is useful".

The problem, at this point in time, is #2.

There are complications caused by how downloading mods / maps, and handling changes, are currently structured in the game. There are complications in how the lobby deals with this. While in the "normal case" these things may (sometimes) work, it opens the potential for serious issues that need to be fixed.

For these reasons, I'm currently a "no".

But I am also working on improvements for these things.

Once those underlying issues can be improved (as well as the user experience surrounding how changes are handled in a lobby - we presumably need to reset "Ready" state and make sure everyone is aware of changes and can opt-in/out to them), I could see switching to a "yes".

So this isn't as simple as "can you think of reasons this feature is useful", or "is it useful". There are things that need to be fixed to properly support this feature at this juncture (some of which are already in bad need of rewrites).
Forgon
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Forgon »

pastdue wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 17:51 [...]
There are complications caused by how downloading mods / maps, and handling changes, are currently structured in the game. There are complications in how the lobby deals with this. While in the "normal case" these things may (sometimes) work, it opens the potential for serious issues that need to be fixed.

For these reasons, I'm currently a "no".

But I am also working on improvements for these things.
Any lobby improvements are greatly appreciated.
pastdue wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 17:51 Once those underlying issues can be improved (as well as the user experience surrounding how changes are handled in a lobby - we presumably need to reset "Ready" state and make sure everyone is aware of changes and can opt-in/out to them), I could see switching to a "yes".
[...]
This is of course how most other games do it.
I had the same idea.
However, I am already working on patches to fix the GUI and missing translation strings.
Therefore, it's not something I'm likely to do myself within the next two weeks or so.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Sorry, but this is just a silly topic.

Nobody has ever said that the host shouldn't ever be able to do that (and other things), what was said was, AT THIS TIME, it shouldn't be done.

The engine limitations, the GUI limitations and overall code quality makes it extremely bug prone.
I rather we strip all this out of WZ, and have a WZ launcher that passes parameters to Warzone, and go from there.
Using Qt for the lobby client makes perfect sense, and has enough widgets for everything we need to make a actual lobby where things can be voted on maps changes, map previews, and all that good stuff, like other games have. Of course, the kicker there is, someone needs to do it.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Locking thread, go back to the original thread for comments.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=14769
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.